TTTNE 471: The Musical

First of My Name

7 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It was an integral part of my childhood. You find just the right stick, then run around pretending to shoot your friends with it.

Yep. We pretended transformers and G.I. Joes and Star Wars. Pew pew pew. 

Those days of joy are long gone :( 

It is so strange for this state since its an open carry state. But I guess they think a 7 year old will come to school and open fire. Maybe they aren't wrong, it has probably happened before. It's just so strange to me. Times they have changed. 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

25 years ago with my parents. If I ever have children, that is the way it is going to stay.

But... why?

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

It was an integral part of my childhood. You find just the right stick, then run around pretending to shoot your friends with it.

Yeah, same here. I had all sorts of toy weapons, I dressed up as Xenia for the carnival and had guns to play Star Wars. I actually cut one sleeve off a white top and made myself "cuffs" from tinfoil to "look like" Padme when I "shoot" at trees and the fence and stuff. It was fun and completely harmless. 

And for god's sake, kids' movies have guns in them! Why are we trying to pretend these things doesn't exist instead of teaching kids what's right and wrong and where's the line and difference between pretend and reality? I mean I played with toy/pretend guns and I didn't grow up to be a psychopath and that's kinda what the went down with the vast majority of kids. 

My aunt tried to "protect" my cousin and he wasn't allowed to watch cartoons or play with certain toys because it's "violent". He missed out on so much because all the kids at kindergarten played Spider-Man and whatever other stuff was in and my cousin didn't even know who those characters were and he couldn't play with them and he was this weird kid, who watched 40-year-old cartoons my aunt had watched as a kid about a chicken and a cock (the animal, ok?) or an old couple whose dog chased their cats, like wtf, even I had thought those were old and lame and that had been in the 90s.  He was 10 by the time he was allowed to watch Harry Potter because it's violent. My aunt got him Star Wars stuff and made sister and I to tell him who the characters were without letting him watch the movies.  And in spite of her best efforts, my cousin is hands down the most violent kid I've ever met. Soooo much repressed aggression. Which could have been released gradually if he weren't raised in a bubble full of old people and their pets and chickens. so yeah, in my humble opinion, kids need to be taught to understand and control natural human aggression instead of punished for not pretending it doesn't exist. 

And let me add...Nobody ever told kids to not pretend  gun fights here and yet I don't think we ever had a single shooting at a school. So maybe the correlation between shootings and what kids play isn't as strong as these schools think. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

But... why?

Because wars and guns are not funny and not something to play with.

There were no gun-shaped toys allowed in our house. I do not think I was deprived in any way. I do not even remember my parents telling me that, it was just a basic thing. I was weirded out by other children having guns as toys as a child.

does that apply to supersoakers too?

I'm still undecided on the whole pretend gun fights. I know we did have them and I still came out a pacifist, and I was allowed to watch Zorro, the Turtles and the Ateam for instance. Did not scar me for as far as I know.

I do however also agree with Buck. Playing superhero is one thing (Leonardo!!!) but playing war is quite another. I wouldn't want my kid to have toy soldiers or pretend to fight a war. Like most of us here I guess, I grew up under threat of the Cold War and a few wars have been fought close enough to home (for my taste) in my lifetime. My grandparents fought in the resistance in WWII and later on the wrong side of history in the colonial indies.

I would not like to disrespect any veterans by making light of something that isn't light at all and I wouldn't want my kids to do that either.

I wouldn't want to glorify or romanticise it in any way and I hope neither would my kids. 

However, kids also need to be free enough to figure out who they are for themselves and the occassional (ignorant) thing will happen anyway. I guess drawing the line is virtually impossible and the best thing you can do is communicate with your kids without judgement...?

I mean... kids are kids. Kids play all sorts of things and as they grow up they come to an understanding about the world around them. I know that I don't have a very PC way of thinking compared to people from English speaking countries, or even the western part of mainland Europe, but we are at the - imho - very sad point when you can forbid everything a kid would play based on some kind of fairness. Like, kids can't play shark in the pool because it romanticizes shark attacks? Kids can't play rescue damsel because it's sexist? Kids can't play in the sand because it's not sanitary? Little girls can't play cooking because it's gender specific? Little boys can't play with cars because it's gender specific? Kids can't play with their bottles as if it was a gun because war is not funny? That's just too much for me. 

I played shark, I played with toy weapons, I played in the sandpit, I played with a toy kitchen and toy stroller and my male barbies rescued my female barbies from my stuffed crocodiles and dinosaurs all the time. And I grew up to be - imo - a decent person who doesn't think shark attacks are light, war is good, a woman's place is in the kitchen or that she can't run away from a crocodile without a man's help. If I ever have kids, they will play whatever they want because they are kids and I will just talk to them about the difference between pretend and reality  and make them understand concepts like war when they are old enough. I don't think a five year old can grasp why he can't play whatever he wants with his water bottle. I would want my child to be a child and as time goes by, acquire a thorough understanding about the world so he or she can make empathic, ethical and reasonable decisions and form opinions without having to watch his every move and word in fear of involuntarily not being fair or correct to this or that. And I also have trust in myself and my future child that he or she is going to be an intelligent and reasonable little person (with the right attention and communication from his or her parents) that he will know the difference between real life and playtime. :dunno: 

on lighter topics, I made cookies for the first time and they turned out crappy. But it's quite obviously the recipe's fault, so that's okay... too much butter. 

13 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I mean... kids are kids. Kids play all sorts of things and as they grow up they come to an understanding about the world around them. I know that I don't have a very PC way of thinking compared to people from English speaking countries, or even the western part of mainland Europe, but we are at the - imho - very sad point when you can forbid everything a kid would play based on some kind of fairness. Like, kids can't play shark in the pool because it romanticizes shark attacks? Kids can't play rescue damsel because it's sexist? Kids can't play in the sand because it's not sanitary? Little girls can't play cooking because it's gender specific? Little boys can't play with cars because it's gender specific? Kids can't play with their bottles as if it was a gun because war is not funny? That's just too much for me. 

I played shark, I played with toy weapons, I played in the sandpit, I played with a toy kitchen and toy stroller and my male barbies rescued my female barbies from my stuffed crocodiles and dinosaurs all the time. And I grew up to be - imo - a decent person who doesn't think shark attacks are light, war is good, a woman's place is in the kitchen or that she can't run away from a crocodile without a man's help. If I ever have kids, they will play whatever they want because they are kids and I will just talk to them about the difference between pretend and reality  and make them understand concepts like war when they are old enough. I don't think a five year old can grasp why he can't play whatever he wants with his water bottle. I would want my child to be a child and as time goes by, acquire a thorough understanding about the world so he or she can make empathic, ethical and reasonable decisions and form opinions without having to watch his every move and word in fear of involuntarily not being fair or correct to this or that. And I also have trust in myself and my future child that he or she is going to be an intelligent and reasonable little person (with the right attention and communication from his or her parents) that he will know the difference between real life and playtime. :dunno: 

on lighter topics, I made cookies for the first time and they turned out crappy. But it's quite obviously the recipe's fault, so that's okay... too much butter. 

Got to say, I am 100% with you on this.

Sort of keeping with the theme here, Robin Hobb did a show on 6 Music last night where she chose the music and spoke a bit about what they mean to her. I know she's got a bunch of fans here and thought you might be interested. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096yg37

If any of you have friends or family in Vegas I'm hoping all is well.

14 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

and as the sniffer stops by to lift a leg...he shouts out to @Lady Olenna...sending :kiss:

beware a sniffer on the hunt... :leer:

:smoking:

:leer:

44 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Sort of keeping with the theme here, Robin Hobb did a show on 6 Music last night where she chose the music and spoke a bit about what they mean to her. I know she's got a bunch of fans here and thought you might be interested. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096yg37

If any of you have friends or family in Vegas I'm hoping all is well.

Vegas :( 

As we are discussing children play fighting with guns, nonetheless. 

I certainly don't have the answers but I'm so lost in the world we live in. People are so angry. So ready to hurt others. Its terrifying that kids can't go to school safely, people can't ride the train, can't go to a concert, etc. 

Thank goodness for little places on the big web like this :kiss: 

27 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

:leer:

Vegas :( 

As we are discussing children play fighting with guns, nonetheless. 

I certainly don't have the answers but I'm so lost in the world we live in. People are so angry. So ready to hurt others. Its terrifying that kids can't go to school safely, people can't ride the train, can't go to a concert, etc. 

Thank goodness for little places on the big web like this :kiss: 

Hug Lady O.

And hugs to everyone affected. I'm very sorry.

I think the time to discuss things like pretend fighting and  or gun control is not for today anymore. Nor tomorrow.

11 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

That doesn't sound healthy. When do you go to bed? 

I  went at like 9 yesterday because I was so tired, but I could not fall asleep right away because I am not used to sleep at that hour. But I did fall asleep quite soon.

I have already taught for 2 hours today, am actually on the way home at 9.26. It is weird, but then also kind of cool.

I had a bigger problem waking up today than yesterday. I am tired now. I will take a break at home and then go prepare tomorrow's lesson (I only got the information that I teach on Wednesdays yesterday, and it is for another school with really strict rules, so I am nervous) - luckily that one is in the afternoon.

22 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I  went at like 9 yesterday because I was so tired, but I could not fall asleep right away because I am not used to sleep at that hour. But I did fall asleep quite soon.

I have already taught for 2 hours today, am actually on the way home at 9.26. It is weird, but then also kind of cool.

I had a bigger problem waking up today than yesterday. I am tired now. I will take a break at home and then go prepare tomorrow's lesson (I only got the information that I teach on Wednesdays yesterday, and it is for another school with really strict rules, so I am nervous) - luckily that one is in the afternoon.

Take naps! 

And good luck with teaching and don't prepare too much for your classes. 

Here is to me for always encouraging people to slack off :cheers:  i should drop this habit. 

Even though it's usually only super hardworking or workaholic or overachiever people I encourage to slack off... so it's not that terrible. 

Oh, with this school they demand I prepare a lot for my classes.

I do not think I am either super hardworking nor workaholic (I might be a tiny but of an overachiever, I give you that). :P

I was told today from a Welsh guy that I have a German-sounding accent when I speak English.

I am hungry.

16 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Sleep deprivation level is too damn high. The new schedule demands of me to get up at 5 AM Mondays and Tuesdays. This cannot end well.

What time do classes start? :blink: I'm assuming there is some travel time factored into your schedule but even so that's pretty early (especially when I remember your discussion re: commuting times)

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh, with this school they demand I prepare a lot for my classes.

I do not think I am either super hardworking nor workaholic (I might be a tiny but of an overachiever, I give you that). :P

I was told today from a Welsh guy that I have a German-sounding accent when I speak English.

I am hungry.

Oh from what I gather you are super hardworking. 

My god I don't want to know what I sound like in English... awful, mostly. 

Me too. And I had lunch less than two hours ago. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What time do classes start? :blink: I'm assuming there is some travel time factored into your schedule but even so that's pretty early (especially when I remember your discussion re: commuting times)

At 7. I left the house around 5.30, to catch the bus at 5.37. Took that one to the city, took another one to get to the part of the city from where we have an organised ride because the courses are completely outside. We met at 6.20 this week, next week we will meet at 6.30 because we were really early - we wanted to make sure we are early enough the first time around.

So basically, we have an organised ride, but my problem is more coming to the spot from where our ride starts. If I could just drive directly from home, it would not take that long at all (maybe I will borrow my mother's car and do that sometimes).

Archived