TTTNE 471: The Musical

First of My Name

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The idea of not having a contract of employment for a job like teaching, nursing etc. seems nuts to me. The U.K. is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum though with the full contract of employment made up from bits and bobs from all over (although certain particulars of employment need to be contained all in one document).

More casual and at-will and zero hours employment like bar staff I can see that situation. But even when I worked in retail I got a full contract of employment, booklet of terms and conditions and company standards etc. Nuts!

I am understanding contract of employment as a set amount of time. Of course we get the terms and standards and anti harassment stuff, I am just surprised that non certified or licensed employment has a set time period of employment. Though I have a feeling I’m not understanding the term “contract” correctly. In Bucky’s case she was saying she wasn’t working many hours and unpaid for prep work but had a contract. That struck me as odd. I’ve never heard of teachers, coaches, etc not being paid for prep work. 

Anyhow, I am off soon for an ultrasound and bloodwork... should the little bean cooperate we may see what gender it is. Lil O has to accompany me since he’s out sick from school. Should be interesting to see his take on it all. 

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I was kind of worried when Mark Hamill said he initially completely disagreed with the director over what direction he was taking Luke in. But it sounds like they'll be treading new ground and doing unexpected things, which in my mind is exactly what the sequel trilogy needs. And initial reviews have been positive, so I'm very excited now :commie: 

I haven’t heard of that. I’m kinda curious about where the Rey and Luke story is going, and it would also be great to find out if Snoke is Darth Plagis.  We shall see. Only two days to go. 

@Lady Olenna @HelenaExMachina 

Every single work arrangement must be put in writing here (otherwise nobody is going to pay you - welcome to Eastern Europe), resulting in a work contract. This can contain the terms of an employment for fixed term. You are the employee of this and this company for this and this amount of time, you are obligated to do this and this, and the company if obligated to pay you this and this sum of money every month by this and this day. This is what I had at my previous job. It can also contain the terms of an employment for an unfixed time, this is what I had at my first job. The same thing as above, only it doesn’t expire after this and this amount of time. The contract can also be an entrepreneurship contract, when a company agrees with an individual proprietorship for fixed of unfixed term for this and this hourly fee. In this case person can have a contractual agreement with other companies too. Company files a request, person works on this and this project this and this amount of hours and sends an invoice to company to be paid for this and this amount of hours. This is what I have now, and from what she says, I’m guessing Buckwheat has a similar arrangement(?).  If you have multiple short (that is fixed) term employments or entrepreneurship agreements with different companies, instead of a regular employment or an unfixed enterpreneurship agreement with a couple  regular companies, you do contract work. 

I’m sure the legal terms are off and lost in translation, because I’m not a lawyer and my English sucks, but hopefully you’ll get what I’m trying to say. 

4 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Serious. I’ve only accepted jobs/salaries verbally and then signed very basic paperwork - but never for a certain amount of time. Work until you quit or get fired. 

Coffee? That might help. Maybe two cups. Or a nap if you can sneak it in.

Edit - now that I’m thinking it through I guess teachers and other certified employees sign contracts. But with union representation teachers rarely get fired or lose their contracts, at least here. And I don’t recall nurses having contracts. But I could be wrong. 

What do you mean by very basic paperwork? I assume it was some type of contract between you and the employer. I would say any agreement between a worker an an employer that sets the rules of the work is a contract, but I know nothing of legal terms.

I do not drink coffee. I did manage to have a most excellent nap in the afternoon.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The idea of not having a contract of employment for a job like teaching, nursing etc. seems nuts to me. The U.K. is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum though with the full contract of employment made up from bits and bobs from all over (although certain particulars of employment need to be contained all in one document).

More casual and at-will and zero hours employment like bar staff I can see that situation. But even when I worked in retail I got a full contract of employment, booklet of terms and conditions and company standards etc. Nuts!

It is nuts, but here I am. I have officially never been employed yet, because nowadays nobody wants to offer you a contract of employment. The employers want to use the workers by having them work on different types of contract without having to have any reponsibility for them, such as paid vacation, sickness, health insurance, retirement insurance and stuff. So they only offer other versions of worker-employer relationship, such as student work, freelance work, hiring kind of a "contractor" - I have no clue if there even are words in English for these different forms of work contracts we have here, but well, they all have different rules and they are shitty and shittier. #GenerationPrecariousWork

3 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I am understanding contract of employment as a set amount of time. Of course we get the terms and standards and anti harassment stuff, I am just surprised that non certified or licensed employment has a set time period of employment. Though I have a feeling I’m not understanding the term “contract” correctly. In Bucky’s case she was saying she wasn’t working many hours and unpaid for prep work but had a contract. That struck me as odd. I’ve never heard of teachers, coaches, etc not being paid for prep work. 

Anyhow, I am off soon for an ultrasound and bloodwork... should the little bean cooperate we may see what gender it is. Lil O has to accompany me since he’s out sick from school. Should be interesting to see his take on it all. 

Contract of employment here can be either for a fixed amount of time or indefinite. What is important is that it gives both sides some responsibility - the employer must take care of the worker's health insurance, vacation days and stuff.

Yeah, normally what we understand under teachers - the ones that teach kids in schools - would be paid for it. I work at a language school, which is a private organisation and can pay their workers however they damn like, which is, they don't.

Good luck, I hope LilO behaves well and does not spread germs around all the pregnant ladies. ;)

Just now, RhaenysB said:

@Lady Olenna @HelenaExMachina 

Every single work arrangement must be put in writing here (otherwise nobody is going to pay you - welcome to Eastern Europe), resulting in a work contract. This can contain the terms of an employment for fixed term. You are the employee of this and this company for this and this amount of time, you are obligated to do this and this, and the company if obligated to pay you this and this sum of money every month by this and this day. This is what I had at my previous job. It can also contain the terms of an employment for an unfixed time, this is what I had at my first job. The same thing as above, only it doesn’t expire after this and this amount of time. The contract can also be an entrepreneurship contract, when a company agrees with an individual proprietorship for fixed of unfixed term for this and this hourly fee. In this case person can have a contractual agreement with other companies too. Company files a request, person works on this and this project this and this amount of hours and sends an invoice to company to be paid for this and this amount of hours. This is what I have now. If you have multiple short (that is fixed) term employments or entrepreneurship agreements with different companies, instead of a regular employment or an unfixed enterpreneurship agreement with a couple  regular companies, you do contract work. 

I’m sure the legal terms are off and lost in translation, because I’m not a lawyer and my English sucks, but hopefully you’ll get what I’m trying to say.

Enterpreneurship? Is that what I was trying to say by saying "hiring a contractor"? Maybe. Do you mean by that the option where the worker himself is registered as a small firm, and the "employer" (technically not an employer in this case) hires not you, but actually your firm to do the work for them - and you send them an invoice then?

Every single work arrangement must be put in writing both because otherwise nobody is going to pay you and because it makes it harder to avoid taxes then. There are always going to be non-written arrangements with money being passed around "under the table", though.

6 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Enterpreneurship? Is that what I was trying to say by saying "hiring a contractor"? Maybe. Do you mean by that the option where the worker himself is registered as a small firm, and the "employer" (technically not an employer in this case) hires not you, but actually your firm to do the work for them - and you send them an invoice then?

Every single work arrangement must be put in writing both because otherwise nobody is going to pay you and because it makes it harder to avoid taxes then. There are always going to be non-written arrangements with money being passed around "under the table", though.

Yeah, that is exactly what I mean. 

Oh this country is very very very creative when it comes to avoiding taxes. People sit at the dinner table and alternate bitching about the government ‘stealing’ their money and cooking up new ways to avoid paying taxes. And they rarely ever see the contradiction. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

What do you mean by very basic paperwork? I assume it was some type of contract between you and the employer. I would say any agreement between a worker an an employer that sets the rules of the work is a contract, but I know nothing of legal terms.

I do not drink coffee. I did manage to have a most excellent nap in the afternoon.

It is nuts, but here I am. I have officially never been employed yet, because nowadays nobody wants to offer you a contract of employment. The employers want to use the workers by having them work on different types of contract without having to have any reponsibility for them, such as paid vacation, sickness, health insurance, retirement insurance and stuff. So they only offer other versions of worker-employer relationship, such as student work, freelance work, hiring kind of a "contractor" - I have no clue if there even are words in English for these different forms of work contracts we have here, but well, they all have different rules and they are shitty and shittier. #GenerationPrecariousWork

Contract of employment here can be either for a fixed amount of time or indefinite. What is important is that it gives both sides some responsibility - the employer must take care of the worker's health insurance, vacation days and stuff.

Yeah, normally what we understand under teachers - the ones that teach kids in schools - would be paid for it. I work at a language school, which is a private organisation and can pay their workers however they damn like, which is, they don't.

Good luck, I hope LilO behaves well and does not spread germs around all the pregnant ladies. ;)

That doesn’t sound very beneficial for the worker :( 

Lil O is no longer contagious - I kept him home to give him some rest. We couldn’t see the gender just yet, but this little bean was punching and kicking and wiggling all around :lol: 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

3 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

It’s curious how every country thinks their women are the most beautiful. I visited Slovenia a long long time ago in this galaxy and I survived it. 

Isn’t it our perogative to be crazy and unpredictable?, nationality doesn’t matter :P.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

So she gets a t shirt and I don’t :(, feeling unloved here :crying:.

You have friends you definitely have friends

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh My God I Think I Like This T-Shirt.

It’s a make, over, it’s a makey make over

10 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I just came back from The Last Jedi and... fuck. This blew me away. I had a lot of expectations but I didn't expect this. At all. Avoid spoilers for this one at all cost. I'm still letting it all sink in but right now, this one is tied with Empire for my favorite.

Wow, that’s nice to hear. You just made my expectations go up a few levels. I’m curious to see if they will be met. And once I’m back from the movies, we’ll have to discuss it :drunk: 

3 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Wow, that’s nice to hear. You just made my expectations go up a few levels. I’m curious to see if they will be met. And once I’m back from the movies, we’ll have to discuss it :drunk: 

Absolutely! But I'd go in with as few expectations as you can. There's some narrative choices that are extremely bold for a Star Wars movie, and I'm pretty sure this will be the most divisive entry in the series yet. So yeah, you might love it and you might hate it, but keep an open mind :P 

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Absolutely! But I'd go in with as few expectations as you can. There's some narrative choices that are extremely bold for a Star Wars movie, and I'm pretty sure this will be the most divisive entry in the series yet. So yeah, you might love it and you might hate it, but keep an open mind :P 

I mean I really enjoyed watching it, but man, the problems were strong with this one. 

Archived