TTTNE 471: The Musical

First of My Name

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't find Petra funny at all ... I think I like Alba most, she is sometimes really funny. But then there are no characters I actually connect to or feel strongly about.

I really disliked The IT crowd when I tried to watch it. I did not find it funny in the least, heh.

Oh, Chris who is always at the bar. Yep, he is all right.

JANE THE VIRGIN

Reveal hidden contents

WHAT THE HELL THEY CANNOT KILL HIM OFF I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT! The whole episode was about unreliable narrators, this surely must be a cruel prank that they MUST correct in the next episode this show sucks!

I think Petra is hilarious. But I suppose that's just a difference between what different people find funny. Like, the Angelique toy party was supposed to be funny, right? It's beyond me how anybody can find that sequence even remotely funny, but I'm sure there are lots of people who did? Same goes for the tap that ass song (which I stupidly didn't fast forward because you guys told me to watch it - *squints accusingly*). 

And I also found IT crowd funny the first time I watched it. I revisited it a few years later and I found it significantly less or not funny. At least I evolve as a person... 

not sure who you are referring to here. 

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

The bump is starting to make playing guitar awkward, especially standing up :(.

Rhae that company sounds really irritating, just goes to show how little most places care once they’ve got your money.

All companies piss on customers at all times, based on my moving experience :( 

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

No. Only if you've been drinking since the night before, then it might be time to look at your life choices.

Hahaha. No. I drink like once or twice a month nowadays. And like one to two glasses of whatever drink it is. 

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

The bump is starting to make playing guitar awkward, especially standing up :(.

Remind us, when is the bump due? ;)

26 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

I think Petra is hilarious. But I suppose that's just a difference between what different people find funny. Like, the Angelique toy party was supposed to be funny, right? It's beyond me how anybody can find that sequence even remotely funny, but I'm sure there are lots of people who did? Same goes for the tap that ass song (which I stupidly didn't fast forward because you guys told me to watch it - *squints accusingly*).

Wow, you are really rushing through that series!

Oh, I am pretty sure the Angelique toy party was decidedly not meant to be funny, I believe it was meant to be just weird, like it came out. Everybody was totally weirded out there and I don't think the audience was to take it any other way either.

On the other hand ... are you sure you watched the right song? :P Come on, they are tapping and singing so cheekily and the lyrics are so so clever, and then there is the taco guy cameo. That song is the one I sing to myself for the past few weeks.

Another character from Jane I like: Prof. Donaldson.

26 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

not sure who you are referring to here.

Okay, that gives me hope that you forgot because it was a cop-out and not a real event.

Spoiler

Michael. :( The sane person in a completely crazy show that holds Jane's crazyness in check.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Reveal hidden contents

Michael. :( The sane person in a completely crazy show that holds Jane's crazyness in check.

Not until the middle of January :).

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I knew Rhae would not like, Crazy ex after her thoughts at the beginning :P 

Cant wait till she meets Nathaniel and watches Santa Ana Winds. She's going to hate it so much :lol: 

One week today Buck!

Am I the only one who does not hate Santa Ana Winds? :D

I have a weird taste in music anyway. I dislike JAP Battle, Sexy Getting Ready Song, and Feeling Kinda Naughty, which people seem to like ... but my favourites are You Stupid Bitch, Settle for Me, Tap that Ass, California Christmas Time ... and well, many others. :P

Squeeee! So apparently Rebecca and Jane are starting a new season on the same day.

1 hour ago, Zar Lannister said:

Boooooo!!!

*manifests*

23 minutes ago, Zar Lannister said:

BUCKYYYYYY

HELENAAAAA

RHAENYSSS

FOMNNNNN

TBBBBBBBB!

LOOOOOOOOOO!

(and hi to ppl who may have evolved like a pokemon since I diminished)

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :grouphug: We missed you so much! Please cast one of your excellent spam flow magics! ;)

14 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Am I the only one who does not hate Santa Ana Winds? :D

I have a weird taste in music anyway. I dislike JAP Battle, Sexy Getting Ready Song, and Feeling Kinda Naughty, which people seem to like ... but my favourites are You Stupid Bitch, Settle for Me, Tap that Ass, California Christmas Time ... and well, many others. :P

Squeeee! So apparently Rebecca and Jane are starting a new season on the same day.

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :grouphug: We missed you so much! Please cast one of your excellent spam flow magics! ;)

No I love Santa Ana Winds but I can already guess that Rhae will hate it for the wink wink nudge nudge I'm also kind of a narrator elements. 

Stupid Bitch is a good one and I also think Tell me I'm ok Patrick is underrated.

Who's the new guy is now stuck in my head :P 

On 10/4/2017 at 3:55 AM, Grand Moff Mithrandir said:

My internship has put me in a deeper depression than I I have ever experienced(depression is a regular occurrence for me) and I absolutely cant wait to be done with it. My life has regressed tremendously and my mental state is on the brink of collapse, its scary, so terrifying there are days when im travelling to and from work that I search for convenient methods to commit suicide.

Also, I quit smoking while I was in high school but now im back and going much harder than before, its the only thing that keeps me sane at this point that and the copious amounts of alcohol I consume each weekend to try and supress the demons.

Oh no! GMM why are you bringing such depressing talk to ttne, this is a joyous place there is no place for your whinging.

Farewell.

sending good vibes...and suggest smoking weed vs cigs...it gives a higher return on investment...in this old dawgs opinion
hang in there brother, and remember...you are a SpamKing for life...how many fuckers can say that shit

On 10/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, RhaenysB said:

Is 3pm too early to open a bottle of wine? 

it is never too early...in fact an open bottle of wine should be a refrig staple

53 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No I love Santa Ana Winds but I can already guess that Rhae will hate it for the wink wink nudge nudge I'm also kind of a narrator elements. 

Stupid Bitch is a good one and I also think Tell me I'm ok Patrick is underrated.

Who's the new guy is now stuck in my head :P 

Tell me I'm OK Patrick is indeed a good one. Also from the same episode, Rebecca's reprise.

I think you miss a lot of the character development if you skip the songs.

I think my problem with JAP Battle is that I really struggle to understand it. I didn't get most of the references in there because I just don't know anything about the culture it describes. Then I found this awesome site with the lyrics with all possible notes to explain the lyrics, so I get what it is about, I just still don't see feel it to be funny because it is just really abstract to me,

Who's the New Guy is great. :D I think it has my favourite lyrics because nudge nudge wink wink we-are-so-clever self-reference. But it does not have much of a choreography.

How do you like Everything I've Done For You (that You Didn't Ask for)? That one is really well-made, I think. The actress hat a good voice to go with it. Also it had the biggest emotional impact on me, I was really creeped out in that scene and thought Paula was actually going to hurt her, she was really creepy.

@RhaenysB and anybody else who has watched JANE THE VIRGIN

Spoiler

Okay, so Michael is really dead and then they just skip 3 years forward and ... what?

ETA: And Rafael with a beard. What what what what what.

This makes no sense in no universe ever anymore. Stupid show. :angry:

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Tell me I'm OK Patrick is indeed a good one. Also from the same episode, Rebecca's reprise.

I think you miss a lot of the character development if you skip the songs.

I think my problem with JAP Battle is that I really struggle to understand it. I didn't get most of the references in there because I just don't know anything about the culture it describes. Then I found this awesome site with the lyrics with all possible notes to explain the lyrics, so I get what it is about, I just still don't see feel it to be funny because it is just really abstract to me,

Who's the New Guy is great. :D I think it has my favourite lyrics because nudge nudge wink wink we-are-so-clever self-reference. But it does not have much of a choreography.

How do you like Everything I've Done For You (that You Didn't Ask for)? That one is really well-made, I think. The actress hat a good voice to go with it. Also it had the biggest emotional impact on me, I was really creeped out in that scene and thought Paula was actually going to hurt her, she was really creepy.

Everything I've Done for You is one of my season one favourites (Paula gets some great songs). And you are correct, Donna Lynne Champlin who plays Paula has an awesome voice for those kind of songs - she has been on broadway a lot, which is the inspiration for that song. Here is her doing Maybe this Dream (which i told you before is a favourite of mine because of the lyrics (really quite moving for all they are crass/unfiltered thoughts of a middle-aged woman - i listened with the mothership and she loved it), design of the set (with an enchanted forest in the law office and office assistants dressed as birds :lol:) and Donna Lynne's voice):

Another great Donna Lynne/Paula song is this one. And i don't say this just for the hilarious wigs and video production:

I also enjoyed Remember that we suffered because Tovah Feldshuh and Patti LuPone are so great together and i love Josh dancing it up in the background :D

(This is another very culturally specific one - East Coast/New Yorker Jewish stuff, according to Rachel Bloom and Tovah anyway. So some of i dont get quite as well as others would but still love the song and video).

Speaking of the finale, which i thought was fantastic all around, they really had some great songs. This one was really funny because of the choice of genre for the subject matter. Spoiler tags because Rhae isnt there yet

Spoiler

Linked this one multiple times before but doing so again because :rofl:

Terribly disappointed in Rhae for not liking Darryl. Him and WhiJo are the cutest :love: And his coming out scene, well, how can you not love it?!

And of course the song which got me hooked into this show before i even watched it because someone linked it in a totally unrelated thread:

I also saw a preview image for season 3 that makes me think there will be a Hairspray-inspired song which i'm excited for :D

Okay i linked enough music and now i guess I'll just soul train out of here.

Yes that was another Crazy Ex reference! :D

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Wow, you are really rushing through that series!

Oh, I am pretty sure the Angelique toy party was decidedly not meant to be funny, I believe it was meant to be just weird, like it came out. Everybody was totally weirded out there and I don't think the audience was to take it any other way either.

On the other hand ... are you sure you watched the right song? :P Come on, they are tapping and singing so cheekily and the lyrics are so so clever, and then there is the taco guy cameo. That song is the one I sing to myself for the past few weeks.

Another character from Jane I like: Prof. Donaldson.

Okay, that gives me hope that you forgot because it was a cop-out and not a real event.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, there's nothing better to watch right now... 

That's comforting, because it was a horrifying scene. 

The guys were really cute but the song was a pain in the ass. Josh is always cute because the actor has this naughty five year old face which is adorable. 

Who's that? Not professor hottie, I suppose, he was great though and really hot... oh, the grumpy feminist teacher. I'm sure crazy ex would fail the bechdel test, btw. 

Spoiler

No, sorry, Michael died. It was a shocker, I give them that, but it was also a grotesquely hilariously soap opera move. 

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I knew Rhae would not like, Crazy ex after her thoughts at the beginning :P 

Cant wait till she meets Nathaniel and watches Santa Ana Winds. She's going to hate it so much :lol: 

One week today Buck!

No, I don't... not sure why I'm still watching it... can't wait for the new season of anything else to come out. 

5 hours ago, Zar Lannister said:

Boooooo!!!

*manifests*

ZAAAAAAR!!!! *screams* SO SO SO HAPPY YOU ARE HERE!!!!

4 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Hello Zar :) 

And hello to the rest of you spammers. 

And KIIIIIIID!!!! How are you?????

3 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

It is never too early...in fact an open bottle of wine should be a refrig staple

I don't know if I've said this before but you very strongly remind me of a Charles Bukowski novel. 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

@RhaenysB and anybody else who has watched JANE THE VIRGIN

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, so Michael is really dead and then they just skip 3 years forward and ... what?

ETA: And Rafael with a beard. What what what what what.

This makes no sense in no universe ever anymore. Stupid show. :angry:

Spoiler

That time jump was weirdly placed indeed. And I'm sorry he was killed off. 

I was always team Rafael, I found Michael very annoying. And yes I know he is the better person and the only "normal" person and his bromance with Rogelio was cute but i wasn't a fan of Michael. 

Eta: 

l like Whi-Jo, he is cute, and his billions of elderly exes at the drugs and rainbow festival was one of the few genuinely adorably funny scenes. 

And I also liked the season 1 intro. That played in my head in the shower. This new one, not a fan at all. 

Everything I've Done for You is one of my season one favourites (Paula gets some great songs). And you are correct, Donna Lynne Champlin who plays Paula has an awesome voice for those kind of songs - she has been on broadway a lot, which is the inspiration for that song. Here is her doing Maybe this Dream (which i told you before is a favourite of mine because of the lyrics (really quite moving for all they are crass/unfiltered thoughts of a middle-aged woman - i listened with the mothership and she loved it), design of the set (with an enchanted forest in the law office and office assistants dressed as birds :lol:) and Donna Lynne's voice):

*shakes fists at Helena* I think you just slowed my Internet so much by posting that many videos!  :lol:

Maybe this Dream crosses the line between funny and disgusting for me. I really don't like jokes about shit. So while I can appreciate the set and the coworkers (I think they are both lawyers, certainly the Canadian seems to be), I think the lyrics cross the line of good taste.

Another great Donna Lynne/Paula song is this one. And i don't say this just for the hilarious wigs and video production:

The 80s have just called, they want their ... well, everything back.

I also enjoyed Remember that we suffered because Tovah Feldshuh and Patti LuPone are so great together and i love Josh dancing it up in the background

(This is another very culturally specific one - East Coast/New Yorker Jewish stuff, according to Rachel Bloom and Tovah anyway. So some of i dont get quite as well as others would but still love the song and video).

Yes, but I think still easier to understand than JAP battle. I also like the tune more, so dancey.

Speaking of the finale, which i thought was fantastic all around, they really had some great songs. This one was really funny because of the choice of genre for the subject matter. Spoiler tags because Rhae isnt there yet

Spoiler

Shows perfectly how the situation is all deranged and dysfunctional and wrong and how Rebecca is anxious and on the edge of going full crazy any minute - in a moment when it is expected a person would be happy above anything else.

Terribly disappointed in Rhae for not liking Darryl. Him and WhiJo are the cutest :love: And his coming out scene, well, how can you not love it?!

They need a duo! :love:

Also I think we should all using the term "bothsexual".

And of course the song which got me hooked into this show before i even watched it because someone linked it in a totally unrelated thread:

Same. :D

I also saw a preview image for season 3 that makes me think there will be a Hairspray-inspired song which i'm excited for :D

High time I see the entirety of that, then? I only saw a part of it.

Okay i linked enough music and now i guess I'll just soul train out of here.

I used to think she said "I'll just solo train out of here." I was not acquainted with the concept of a soul train.

Here is one more for you, if you like awful 90s boybands:

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

The guys were really cute but the song was a pain in the ass. Josh is always cute because the actor has this naughty five year old face which is adorable. 

Josh is ... sometimes not that smart. You may say he has a childish adorable face. But then I just prefer watchin Mr. Sweetface Mateo, who actually is a child and can be excused to be immature. ;)

Such a cute kid.

Who's that? Not professor hottie, I suppose, he was great though and really hot... oh, the grumpy feminist teacher. I'm sure crazy ex would fail the bechdel test, btw. 

I mean the grumpy feminist teacher, yes. :lol: I appreciate the irony of Jane having her as her advisor, seeing how she hates Jane's preferred genre so much.

So, after the time jump, are we to assume that Jane is done with school?

Hmmm, maybe some of the episodes do and some don't. There are enough moments centered on Rebecca's issues with her mother, Paula, her psychologist - but then there is also a lot of boy-conversation. Maybe it depends on whether you count the songs as scenes/conversations, as there are plenty of those that are centered on relationships between women: Women Gotta Stick Together, You Go First, Where's the Bathroom, Friendtopia, Feeling Kinda Naughty ...

Reveal hidden contents

No, sorry, Michael died. It was a shocker, I give them that, but it was also a grotesquely hilariously soap opera move. 

Hide contents

That time jump was weirdly placed indeed. And I'm sorry he was killed off. 

I was always team Rafael, I found Michael very annoying. And yes I know he is the better person and the only "normal" person and his bromance with Rogelio was cute but i wasn't a fan of Michael. 

Eta: 

l like Whi-Jo, he is cute, and his billions of elderly exes at the drugs and rainbow festival was one of the few genuinely adorably funny scenes. 

And I also liked the season 1 intro. That played in my head in the shower. This new one, not a fan at all. 

*goes into a full Internet rage and swears to stop watching the show on all possible sites, only to continue watching because there is currently nothing better*

Spoiler

You mean team Rafael+Jane? I don't think they ever worked, I just kept waiting for Jane to get back with Michael because they are shown to be that perfect couple. Jane could never completely trust Rafael back then. Michael was wholly devoted to her, she can rely on him always, she had sex with him, which was very important to her, and he was the stable point in the middle of all the crazy characters.

So parts of the show I like: Alba (more of her!), grumpy feminist advisor (more!), Michael, Mr. Sweetface being cute (he was cuter at 1 year old - the recast 4-year old, I have not yet warmed up to him that much), the relationships between the Villanueva women (a very big high point for me when they can show how much they care for each other), Rafael and Luisa's brother-sister closeness, Jane trying to be a teacher back in S1 and then a grad student and a writer.

Downsides: anything that involves the ownership or managing of the hotel, the possibility of J+R, Rogelio, characters I like being dead, Sin Rostro.

Also, another point about Jane ...

Spoiler

So Rogelio wants to have more children so desperately because he never had to see his child growing up* because he only met Jane when she was an adult, but ... he did get to see two of his children grow up ... and now he and seemingly everybody else has conveniently forgotten about them? Whatever happened to Valeria and Victoria (those were their names, right?)?

*His editing old photos to be included was creepy and inappropriate

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Reveal hidden contents

Shows perfectly how the situation is all deranged and dysfunctional and wrong and how Rebecca is anxious and on the edge of going full crazy any minute - in a moment when it is expected a person would be happy above anything else.

Josh is ... sometimes not that smart. You may say he has a childish adorable face. But then I just prefer watchin Mr. Sweetface Mateo, who actually is a child and can be excused to be immature. ;)

Such a cute kid.

I mean the grumpy feminist teacher, yes. :lol: I appreciate the irony of Jane having her as her advisor, seeing how she hates Jane's preferred genre so much.

So, after the time jump, are we to assume that Jane is done with school?

Hmmm, maybe some of the episodes do and some don't. There are enough moments centered on Rebecca's issues with her mother, Paula, her psychologist - but then there is also a lot of boy-conversation. Maybe it depends on whether you count the songs as scenes/conversations, as there are plenty of those that are centered on relationships between women: Women Gotta Stick Together, You Go First, Where's the Bathroom, Friendtopia, Feeling Kinda Naughty ...

*goes into a full Internet rage and swears to stop watching the show on all possible sites, only to continue watching because there is currently nothing better*

Reveal hidden contents

You mean team Rafael+Jane? I don't think they ever worked, I just kept waiting for Jane to get back with Michael because they are shown to be that perfect couple. Jane could never completely trust Rafael back then. Michael was wholly devoted to her, she can rely on him always, she had sex with him, which was very important to her, and he was the stable point in the middle of all the crazy characters.

So parts of the show I like: Alba (more of her!), grumpy feminist advisor (more!), Michael, Mr. Sweetface being cute (he was cuter at 1 year old - the recast 4-year old, I have not yet warmed up to him that much), the relationships between the Villanueva women (a very big high point for me when they can show how much they care for each other), Rafael and Luisa's brother-sister closeness, Jane trying to be a teacher back in S1 and then a grad student and a writer.

Downsides: anything that involves the ownership or managing of the hotel, the possibility of J+R, Rogelio, characters I like being dead, Sin Rostro.

Josh is straight up dumb. He is the dumb, sexy ,small town jock stereotype. Apart from the fact that West Covina is quite big. But the actor has such a cute face. 

Mr sweetface is adorable and you'll warm to four year old Mateo too, he is just aaaaaw you want to eat him. I don't know why he was recast for the new season, he could have totally passed as 5 year old Mateo too. Oh well. Mateo is adorable and so are the twins with the stupid names. 

Yeah that lady is the polar opposite of Jane and it's nice how they shed some light on each other's world and get a little more sensitive about the opposite point of view. And yes, Jane finished school and you'll see what she is up to career wise. (again, don't expect anything reasonable, it's a soap opera and that line is especially unbelievable) 

ehhhh Rebecca talks about nothing but boys. Or herself. She has some quarrels with Paula that aren't centered around guys, and with her mom but that latter was one episode so far. Actually I'm wondering if selling the Galisomething ring or what will come back to bite her in the arse. (And one point I had thought it was the ring Aunt Myrna gave Josh to propose to Valencia, but apparently such was never revealed)

I'm sorry the Michael thing pissed you off :/ I thought Michael was kinda annoying and boring because he was too much of a good guy and a doormat, but I can understand that many people are upset about what happened. 

I really like Alba too, and generally the Villanueva women dynamics and relationships. I also like Jane, she is sometimes over the top and annoying but she is an overall enjoyable female lead. The Sin Rostro thing is a pain in the arse, and I really really can't stand Luisa though her relationship with Rafael is indeed one of the nice things about her. I like the hotel stuff a lot even though it's ridiculous that a hotel owner would live in his hotel. Rogelio is a little annoying and the Xo-Ro stuff is very tiring. The selling point to me is basically Petra who is an amazing character imo, and the narrator and the editing, it's just so so hilarious. 

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Hello Rhae :)

I'm good. Work is very busy lately with all the storms, but apart from that all is well. How are you doing? 

I'm fine, thank you, I moved house. Hope you still get to have some fun and rest while being busy with work. What do you do? 

Archived