How Beautiful Was Ashara Dayne?

18 minutes ago, zandru said:

It would be the combination of decent looks with grace, prowess, and kindness that would make Arya and Lyanna "great beauties." Neither Cersei nor Sansa have these qualities, just their looks, which for most men is more than enough. (And it says a lot in favor of Rhaegar Targaryen.)

I agree about Arya and Lyanna.

But Sansa is not just beautiful. she is also graceful, charming and witty. she charmed Harry not with her beauty but with her wits.

And post AGOT Sansa is kind. she is nothing like hateful and heartless Cersei.

Ashara was very likely beautiful.  So many men wanted to dance with her during the Harrenhal tourney and it can't be all because she was flirty.  

On the beauty scale, I will say Ashara would rank far below Dany and a little below a younger-Cersei,

slightly above Lynesse, but be comfortably above Catelyn, Margery, Arrianne, Roslyn, and Sansa.  

If we were to find a real world comparison, perhaps she is on the same level as the lovely actress Raina Hein.

36 minutes ago, zandru said:

;-)   In the eye of the beholder.

Of course.

and I get that you don't like her at all but are you saying she is not charming, graceful and witty? and that she has not shown kindness to people around her time and time again after AGOT? even in the first book she is the only person that treats Sandor like a human.

1 hour ago, winter daughter said:

I agree about Arya and Lyanna.

But Sansa is not just beautiful. she is also graceful, charming and witty. she charmed Harry not with her beauty but with her wits.

And post AGOT Sansa is kind. she is nothing like hateful and heartless Cersei.

I can agree that Sansa is a better person than Cersei.  I mean, really, Cersei helped little Melara to fall down the well, just a bit.  But Sansa is not what you would call admirable.  She's not a hero.  She looks out for #1 in most of her chapters.  

Sansa's main sins are her incredible selfishness.  We have read here a theory that she will murder Robert Arryn.  

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I can agree that Sansa is a better person than Cersei.  I mean, really, Cersei helped little Melara to fall down the well, just a bit.  But Sansa is not what you would call admirable.  She's not a hero.  She looks out for #1 in most of her chapters.  

Sansa's main sins are her incredible selfishness.  We have read here a theory that she will murder Robert Arryn.  

And do you think current Arya and Bran are admirable? all of our main characters are grey and flawed.

And about her selfishness, she was selfish in the first book. but after her father's death she has changed a lot. in her first ACOK chapter she tried to save Dantos risking getting punished by psycho Joffrey. I can provide you with other examples of her kindness if you want.

And about that theory... she has not killed him yet, has she? she has not even thought about killing him. for now she is taking care of him patiently and teaching him some manners.

She sat beside him on the grass. Her every movewas graceful. Her curling blond hair moved in the wind, and her eyes were green as the leaves of summer. It had been a long time since Ned Stark had seen her beauty, but he saw it now. "I know the truth Jon Arryn died for," he told her. Ned 12 GoT

Cersei has been trained to be a lady and all that entails (including curtisies when in the mood) from a young age, she also exudes power and can be seductive making her number 1 (let's forget about Dany with her exotic Targ looks for now)

Cersei is undoubtedly beautiful and undoubtedly a bunny boiler, it is telling that Ned does not always see her beauty as we know Cersei always looks her best, indeed it would seem beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and every man thinks he has the prettiest wife at home.

Individual characters can rank women in different order of beauty and that order can change with perception and a moment in time

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

In all fairness, it wouldn't be difficult to be a better person than Cersei.

5 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Ashara was very likely beautiful.  So many men wanted to dance with her during the Harrenhal tourney and it can't be all because she was flirty.  

On the beauty scale, I will say Ashara would rank far below Dany and a little below a younger-Cersei,

slightly above Lynesse, but be comfortably above Catelyn, Margery, Arrianne, Roslyn, and Sansa.  

If we were to find a real world comparison, perhaps she is on the same level as the lovely actress Raina Hein.

Interesting. Why would you go with ''far below Dany'' when Barristan ranks her slightly above her? she had the same purple eyes thing going on and she was from Dorne which gives her bit of an unusual, eye catching look too,

On 28/09/2017 at 0:50 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

One of the things I dislike about this series is how so many characters are described as absurdly beautiful. How can their beauty be so rare if there are fifteen other characters described the same way? 

Really? Considering the population of Westeros, and that most of our characters are from the wealthier end of society, I'm not surprised at all. I see insanely beautiful people walking around the city all the time. I mean, most of them are ugly, but you do get a lot who aren't.

It's a fantasy story.  You will have extremes of ugly and extremes of beautiful.  On the matter of Ashara.  She's more hot than outright beautiful.  The kind of girl that most men will find appealing and attainable.  Her open nature and not her looks could have intimidated the shy wolf.  I don't think Ashara will take your breath away with her beauty but she is very attractive enough.  She's closer to the beautiful end of the scale and far from the ugly end.

46 minutes ago, Texas Hold Em said:

She's more hot than outright beautiful. 

If you think of them as the celebrities of Westeros, then you can see that it's not always the most classically beautiful people that get all the attention, it's also the "hot" ones. Elia was unfavourably compared with Ashara, even though she was considered a beauty of sorts herself. But who's going to look at Eva Longoria when Elizabeth Taylor walks into the room?

To be fair, Ned is used to seeing the long face of the north.  So he goes to the tourney in the south and sees a better proportioned face.  Even a mildly attractive Ashara would light his senses. 

Ashara is beautiful but she's not in the same league as the Targaryen women and perhaps not even in the same league as Cersei Lannister. 

Archived