A More Plausible War

Jabul

• 3 weeks later...

Have about 10.000 Dothraki (or maybe more) abandon Dany once they reach Westeros and go raiding through several kingdoms. Cersei'd suddenly be an acceptable 'protector of the realm', whatever she did to the Sept. What they did on the show with Randyll Tarly wasn't such a stupid idea basically. He abandoned the Tyrells because of ambition and concern about the Dothraki savages. If the latter was portrayed more convincingly and with a basis in reality and if Tarly wasn't the only Lord shown to be suddenly supporting Cersei, we'd have a much more believable conflict.

It would also address a logistical problem that is hardly ever mentioned: how is Dany feeding all those Dothraki and their horses? 100.000 cavalry eat a lot. It's never addressed in the show and for some reason it doesn't even get mentioned a lot in the criticisms of the show. Answer could be: It is a problem for Dany and it has consequences. They abandon her because she won't let them get food the way they used to do. 

Something could be made of conflicts in Dany's side. The Dothraki want to raid, the Iron Islanders want to reave, the Reach and Dorne hate each other ... One problem is that there aren't any distinct Dothraki characters anymore.

What I could see happening is that a lot of the nobles just don't get involved at all, and just wait it out.

The show's idea of having Dany lose one of her dragons is I think a good one; just the way it was done didn't make much sense..

On 11/11/2017 at 8:55 AM, Zapho said:

Have about 10.000 Dothraki (or maybe more) abandon Dany once they reach Westeros and go raiding through several kingdoms. Cersei'd suddenly be an acceptable 'protector of the realm', whatever she did to the Sept. What they did on the show with Randyll Tarly wasn't such a stupid idea basically. He abandoned the Tyrells because of ambition and concern about the Dothraki savages. If the latter was portrayed more convincingly and with a basis in reality and if Tarly wasn't the only Lord shown to be suddenly supporting Cersei, we'd have a much more believable conflict.

It would also address a logistical problem that is hardly ever mentioned: how is Dany feeding all those Dothraki and their horses? 100.000 cavalry eat a lot. It's never addressed in the show and for some reason it doesn't even get mentioned a lot in the criticisms of the show. Answer could be: It is a problem for Dany and it has consequences. They abandon her because she won't let them get food the way they used to do. 

Some good ideas here. Yes, the basic idea of Tarly turning his coat wasn't bad. The way the show runners developed the idea was absurd: All of the lords who come to KL from the Reach go over to the Lannister side. Or at least most of them do, and the others fail to inform Highgarden about the matter. Then the Lannister/Reach forces move across most of a continent, taking, say, three weeks or so, and Olenna and her people are taken completely by "surprise." This is nonsense. Your way, with some of Dany's forces doing highly unpleasant freelance work and turning a substantial part of Westeros back to Cersei would be much more believable, much more in tune with the way things work in the universe created in the first few seasons. 

Some of the lords of the Reach might well remain loyal to Highgarden, and the Queen of Thorns would still be alive. I'd say that one reason (likely the main one) that the story wasn't developed this way is that things would remain quite complicated. D & D wanted to finish things up. They felt pressed to streamline the narrative, get rid of characters, eliminate the need for scenes in the Reach and Dorne. They sacrificed logic to achieve this streamlining. 

6 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Something could be made of conflicts in Dany's side. The Dothraki want to raid, the Iron Islanders want to reave, the Reach and Dorne hate each other ... One problem is that there aren't any distinct Dothraki characters anymore.

What I could see happening is that a lot of the nobles just don't get involved at all, and just wait it out.

The show's idea of having Dany lose one of her dragons is I think a good one; just the way it was done didn't make much sense..

Some good ideas here too. Once again, there is a conflict between streamlining and maintaining the logic of the narrative. If you had a society like Westeros which had suffered the kind of conflict portrayed in GoT, things would be incredibly messy. Lots of nobles would decide to take a sort of Tywin Lannister option. They'd want to wait and see which side was winning. Some of these lords would be in the Westerlands, and this would reduce the power of the Lannisters. Also, order would break down badly in a good many regions. The Brotherhood without Banners wouldn't just magically turn into three or four guys heading north to fight the White Walkers. There would be gangs of outlaws and broken men raiding farms and villages. The mountain tribes, with the superior armaments provided by the Lannisters, would wreak havoc over a wide area...In all, things would go to hell. 

This could create some interesting stories, but it would require a hell of a lot of episodes to pull the whole thing together. 

After viewing part 2 of PJ's version, my opinion hasn't changed. It's an improvement over the HBO version of Season 7. However, I still don't buy the betrayals of Pod and Lady Nym. I don't like the idea of continuing LF's power. Getting rid of him sooner (HBO version) instead of later (PJ version) is preferable. I say that it was plot armor that allowed him to survive as long as he did. 

Archived