Nostalgia: Talkin Bout My Generation

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Obligatory buzzfeed meme post, because I'm still mostly a millennial.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katangus/im-never-going-to-retire?bffbmain&ref=bffbmain&utm_term=.qbLwvbMOw#.mwDdQWZyd

-----------------------

I'm an older millennial, an Xennial, or a member of the Oregon Trail generation.  We got a computer in late high school and then there were all those disks with free 60 day trials of AOL that never seemed to run out.  

I remember things like the first Iraq War and the fall of the Berlin Wall.  The news terrified me into thinking that Saddam Hussein was coming to kill me while my parents were filling up the gas tank.  Most of what I remember about the fall of the wall came from my family.  They'd sit around the table discussing how terrible communism was and that the damn communists did it and now no one was safe so I also had nightmares about communists even though I didn't know what that meant.  I was also scared of scrambled eggs and drugs and if you were scared of them too, then you know what I'm talking about.

In between all of that, we were the last kids who rode our bikes all over and walked through fields to get to the neighbors and spent all day long outdoors away from the adult supervision, coming home only to eat and sleep.  We walked ourselves home from school or rode the bus and let ourselves inside and then spent hours alone until our parents got home from work.  The things my kids aren't allowed to do becuase social norms have changed makes me sad

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

In between all of that, we were the last kids who rode our bikes all over and walked through fields to get to the neighbors and spent all day long outdoors away from the adult supervision, coming home only to eat and sleep.  We walked ourselves home from school or rode the bus and let ourselves inside and then spent hours alone until our parents got home from work.  The things my kids aren't allowed to do becuase social norms have changed makes me sad

Yeah, that was a cornerstone of my childhood as well. We rode our bikes everywhere, from one side of town to the other. We had this amazing gully between two of our neighborhoods that had a creek running through it, and that was all wooded. We used to go down there with airsoft guns and play war and whatnot. Every spring there would be an army of pollywogs that would spawn into frogs, and we'd catch tons of them.

What is truly sad about this sort of childhood dying is it seems wholly unnecessary to me. I don't believe we're dealing with some sort of explosion of child molesters or sexual predators, or anything like that. It's just that we have 24 hour access to all the bad news that our little world can generate on a daily basis. Seems like much of this is just a knee-jerk fear reaction to the 24 hour news cycle.     

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that was a cornerstone of my childhood as well. We rode our bikes everywhere, from one side of town to the other. We had this amazing gully between two of our neighborhoods that had a creek running through it, and that was all wooded. We used to go down there with airsoft guns and play war and whatnot. Every spring there would be an army of pollywogs that would spawn into frogs, and we'd catch tons of them.

What is truly sad about this sort of childhood dying is it seems wholly unnecessary to me. I don't believe we're dealing with some sort of explosion of child molesters or sexual predators, or anything like that. It's just that we have 24 hour access to all the bad news that our little world can generate on a daily basis. Seems like much of this is just a knee-jerk fear reaction to the 24 hour news cycle.     

I agree, it all seems so unnecessary.  The first time I had to set up bus service for one of my kids, I did it by phone and they asked if I knew the rules.  Sure, I said, because I figured the rules were common sense, like tell kids to not run in front of the bus and don't bully other kids.  In the afternoon when the kids were supposed to arrive home, they were nowhere.  I learned that an adult is required to be visible to the driver from the house for pick up and drop off or else they will not allow child on the bus or allow child off the bus.  It's ridiculous, but I guess liability issues require it.  When asked why, I received this long irrational explanation about sex traffickers looking for kids to steal.  No data on how often this occurs.  

• 4 weeks later...

I’m old enough to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall but I really don’t remember that at all.  I was probably too busy blasting ghosts with my proton pack.  Also it was only a few weeks after my sister was born so my child brain was probably more consumed with that new addition to the family to absorb international events from that time period.

So my almost 70 year old dad went in to work today dressed as Peter Sellers, with the trench coat, tweed trilby, and comically oversized magnifying glass.  He spent the day hamming it up, as usual, but says people kept thinking he was "some Inspector Gadget character?"  I was laughing at his confusion until I realized that, holy shit, grown-ass, professional adults looked at Peter Sellers and saw Inspector Gadget.  Now I feel old.

37 minutes ago, The Mance said:

So my almost 70 year old dad went in to work today dressed as Peter Sellers, with the trench coat, tweed trilby, and comically oversized magnifying glass.  He spent the day hamming it up, as usual, but says people kept thinking he was "some Inspector Gadget character?"  I was laughing at his confusion until I realized that, holy shit, grown-ass, professional adults looked at Peter Sellers and saw Inspector Gadget.  Now I feel old.

You have to admit that Peter Sellers did such a great job playing a clumsy police inspector that he was imitated by everyone  following him. Imitated but never equalled. 

35 minutes ago, maarsen said:

You have to admit that Peter Sellers did such a great job playing a clumsy police inspector that he was imitated by everyone  following him. Imitated but never equalled. 

Well, sure.  Its just, you expect those sorts of, "did you know Julian Lennon's dad was in a band?" moments from kids, or young adults.  And I know its not about age, so much as age difference, but still, i swear I could feel a few more gray hairs sprouting.

2 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Well, sure.  Its just, you expect those sorts of, "did you know Julian Lennon's dad was in a band?" moments from kids, or young adults.  And I know its not about age, so much as age difference, but still, i swear I could feel a few more gray hairs sprouting.

I have to tell you, when I was a lad I thought that rock'n'roll was invented by kids just a bit older than me. Imagine the shock I had on finding out that Bo Diddley was the same age as my father.

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have to tell you, when I was a lad I thought that rock'n'roll was invented by kids just a bit older than me. Imagine the shock I had on finding out that Bo Diddley was the same age as my father.

Bill Halley and the Comets  started in 1952 .

He's the man who gave us Rock Around the Clock. B)

7 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Bill Halley and the Comets  started in 1952 .

He's the man who gave us Rock Around the Clock. B)

If you want to go back Ike Turner recorded Rocket 88 in 1951. That is considered to be the first rock'n'roll song. 

Just now, GAROVORKIN said:

That I didn't  know. Cool B)

Personally I think Bo Diddley did more than anyone, (Chuck Berry excepted) to create rock'n'roll as we know it today. The man even built his own guitars to get the awesome sounds he created. I hear his influence in everything to this day,  including rap.

He was the true king of rock'n'roll. 

2 hours ago, The Mance said:

So if a teen came to my door tonight in a "Guy Fawkes" mask and along with "Happy Halloween" I say "Remember, remember, the fifth of November!"

Should I have any reasonable expectation they'd know what the heck I was talking about?

Also, would I come off as old uncool nerd guy or creepy old guy? Cause I'm fine with the former, even cultivate that persona a bit, but I really don't want to come off as the latter.

And Happy Halloween everybody!

22 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Should I have any reasonable expectation they'd know what the heck I was talking about?

Mmmm..thats a tough call.  I've only seen VfV once, but I'd guess that by now its become niche enough that any current teen invested enough to go with that costume may well have done some homework. 

Still, i recommend doubling down on being the creepy old guy.  Play it up!  Really own it!*

*says the guy hiding in the bushes waiting to bark and growl at costumed toddlers when the reach for the apparently untended bowl of candy

53 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Mmmm..thats a tough call.  I've only seen VfV once, but I'd guess that by now its become niche enough that any current teen invested enough to go with that costume may well have done some homework. 

Still, i recommend doubling down on being the creepy old guy.  Play it up!  Really own it!*

*says the guy hiding in the bushes waiting to bark and growl at costumed toddlers when the reach for the apparently untended bowl of candy

I figure its inclusion into pop culture - internet memes, You Tube, South Park, etc. - gives it a fair chance to be a "thing" without knowing much background. I'm also attempting here not to create an irony because I do realize the rich background of Fawkes before the movie ever came out (and I'm not just talking the graphic novel :P ). I mean I didn't know who Fawkes was until I saw the movie VfV right around when it came out but since then I've become more interested and learned in British history so there's a possibility if it never did, thus never becoming internet famous, I'd still know the historical reference.

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

If I could go back to my coming of age days, there are things I would likely change. I think I would appreciated them a lot more then I did.

I fantasize to go back mostly to relive the good times. Much I'd do exactly the same, just like you said, just appreciating it all more while I'm doing it, the people I'm with, the occasions, the experiences, all that. What I'd mostly change are things that would hopefully help to secure more good health and time with my loved ones and anyone else I could help and I'd try to secure a more all around future stability.

8 hours ago, The Mance said:

I would think there are probably people who associate that mask with internet groups like Anonymous and aren't necessarily familiar with the film (or graphic novel) it came from.

14 hours ago, maarsen said:

Personally I think Bo Diddley did more than anyone, (Chuck Berry excepted) to create rock'n'roll as we know it today. The man even built his own guitars to get the awesome sounds he created. I hear his influence in everything to this day,  including rap.

He was the true king of rock'n'roll. 

I'd agree that Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry are both easy to argue, but I always include Little Richard, too.  He was a force of nature, both on record and on stage.

Nobody mistakes those three.  They each had their signature sound.

Archived