Well-Fitting Foundation Garments

Mlle. Zabzie

Does anyone (above a certain cup size, I suppose) really wear a sports bra without also a regular bra? I have yet to find one that isn't completely useless on its own. Sports bra over simple underwire bra works fine though.

I found a sports bra a few years ago that covers the over DDD cups fairly well and significantly reduces bounce so that I don't need another bra underneath the sports bra.  The sports bra is super ugly, though, but holds the breasts in tight.  Still has the dreaded uniboob problem at times.  

https://enell.com/

ETA: Although now that I see this company is supporting the dreaded Pink campaign I want to burn all my bras from them.  

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

Does anyone (above a certain cup size, I suppose) really wear a sports bra without also a regular bra? I have yet to find one that isn't completely useless on its own. Sports bra over simple underwire bra works fine though.

absolutely. but it's an underwire sports bra designed for my cup size made by a bra manufacturer, not a sportswear maker that doesn't know a goddamned thing about proper bra sizing. (for the record, these days I'm wearing a 34G, which is definitely not something you're going to find off the rack from Nike or or somesuch). Here's one that a number of my large-busted friends use: https://www.herroom.com/panache-5021-full-busted-underwire-sports-bra.shtml

Right - I am a DD/E, and the regular over the head "compression" sports bras do nada for me.  I will have to try some of the above linked styles, but as much as I hate to admit it, the best I have found for me is the lulu lemon tata tamer, which I think they only sell online now.  

Ah, sports bra with built-in underwire - I don't think they've even made it over here!

ETA: HerRoom has a really elborate "boob-classification" section, and reading through it reminds me of that scene in Three Men in a Boat where he decides he has all the illnesses. Where do my boobs go? Are my boobs all the boobs? Does this even make sense?

Sigh.

This thread is turning into my home. Being the only guy living with 6 women, my life is sadly cloistered by bras. (Following is not actual conversation, just condensed version of ongoing dynamic...RM is any one of the 6 roommates, it literally doesn't matter which)

RM: James, do NOT put bras in the dryer! How many times do we have to tell you?

James: Not even when I'm in a hurry, need the washer and you decided to put bras and tights in the same load (as always), thereby creating a ratking knot it would take NASA a month to untie? 

RM: No, not even then. Just untie it and hang the bras up somewhere. It's not that bad.

James: Where? There are 6 of you. The place is already a jungle of bras. Shower rods, door knobs, curtain rods...I swear our neighbours think we're sending out some bizarre but ongoing distress signal.

RM: Ha, funny. So, will you remember from now on? It's not that complicated: hang bras up, period.

James: Yes, I will set aside a couple hours of prep time every time I need to do laundry. :(

RM: That works for us. :)

It should go without saying that, like the air conditioning argument (It's too cold in here! Who cares if chocolate is melting in your room?) tv show we groupwatch argument, etc. I lose this one on a regular basis, 6-1. And in spite of many vows during the roomie vetting process, no roomie has EVER supported my sports watching proposal. 

15 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Ah, sports bra with built-in underwire - I don't think they've even made it over here!

ETA: HerRoom has a really elborate "boob-classification" section, and reading through it reminds me of that scene in Three Men in a Boat where he decides he has all the illnesses. Where do my boobs go? Are my boobs all the boobs? Does this even make sense?

:lol: Blame the fact that France, UK, EU, and the US all have slightly different sizing systems. 

7 hours ago, kairparavel said:

We have both, but they never use the bag, and there isn't really anywhere to put the rack on the main floor that isn't in the way. Tried putting it in the tv room downstairs but they just end up hanging it up near the laundry. I do appreciate the advice, though. 

And, to be fair, I have my own things...like I'm the guy who ends up with all the spoons in my room, and the sun deck is off my room and there are times I don't want to let the girls through if my room's too messy, so I'm no treat either all the time. 

On 9/30/2017 at 2:04 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

This is a topic that is near (literally) and dear to my heart.  My undergarments make or break my day. 

Bras

For years I harbored hatred and resentment against my bras, cursing them and almost purposefully mistreating them.  Then I got a proper fitting rather than some chick at Victoria's Secret jamming a measuring tape across the girls and barely looking.  I realized that my band size had been too big, and my cup size had been too small, and that I was wearing my shoulder straps wrong.  I was also picking the wrong styles...

This was me and then I finally found one that fitted.

And then, after pregnancy and breastfeeding, none of those every fit me comfortably ever again. :P 

Got some new ones, which is great, just had to pay for them all again.

On 09/10/2017 at 2:51 AM, Datepalm said:

I use these. In the same size as I wear for normal bras.

https://www.bravissimo.com/products/wired-sports-bra-storm-pr100stm/

On 10/9/2017 at 0:03 AM, Datepalm said:

I do, although I sometimes wear two. I'm a C, though, so not exactly holding back a large dam wall.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:03 AM, Isis said:

I use these. In the same size as I wear for normal bras.

https://www.bravissimo.com/products/wired-sports-bra-storm-pr100stm/

I am completely devastated that the US store doesn't have them.  They look incredible.  Zabz, I'm going to look into this tata tamer.   I've been so damn busy with this hellish move I haven't had time to address, er dress the girls.

Edit @Xray the Enforcer I just saw the Panache.  After a fitting, I am getting one.  I love running and HATE my compression style sports bras.  They either fit like a friggin tourniquet or don't have nearly enough support or both.  In the meantime, I will have to justify spending the additional $25 on the pretty nude one.  

Zabz, on socks, I love ASICS sport socks for running.  They are comfortable and offer light compression.

Obviously I can't offer any personal experience (or maybe it's not so obvious ;)), but I dated a multi-sport collegiate athlete when we were undergrads and she was a 34DD and she had a good system that worked for her. She'd get two sports bras for her size with one being from a company known to be a little more snug than the other (think like a size 10 Nike shoe is noticeably smaller than a size 10 NB shoe) and wear them at the same time underneath a shirt that was 1 size too small for her. It sounded like a lot of work, but she swore that it was really effective and not uncomfortable (she said she couldn't play tennis without doing this). The only thing she complained about was sometimes having to wear a sweatshirt over all of this because some guys at the gym can be SUPER creepy. To the men reading this post, DO NOT be that guy.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:26 AM, James Arryn said:

The place is already a jungle of bras.

There is no unit of measurement that could capture how loud I laughed when reading this.

I've started investing in an entirely different set of foundation garments for the days when transmasc is the way to go. This is literally the only time in my life when my bra and my underwear match -- boxer briefs and a modified tank-top bra in the same material. This stuff is comfy AF, but when you have a bust as big as I do, these bras are just not very good at containing the fabulous. They're for baggy/boxy clothing only.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Obviously I can't offer any personal experience (or maybe it's not so obvious ;)), but I dated a multi-sport collegiate athlete when we were undergrads and she was a 34DD and she had a good system that worked for her. She'd get two sports bras for her size with one being from a company known to be a little more snug than the other (think like a size 10 Nike shoe is noticeably smaller than a size 10 NB shoe) and wear them at the same time underneath a shirt that was 1 size too small for her. It sounded like a lot of work, but she swore that it was really effective and not uncomfortable (she said she couldn't play tennis without doing this). The only thing she complained about was sometimes having to wear a sweatshirt over all of this because some guys at the gym can be SUPER creepy. To the men reading this post, DO NOT be that guy.

I've heard people say they wear two bras to exercise but I honestly think it is far preferable in terms of fit/rub and chafe/support/everything to just wear one properly made, properly fitted sports bra. I say this as someone who requires A LOT of support (i.e. far more so than someone who wears a 34DD - which is basically like an average size anyway).

I am sure that Bravissimo deliver worldwide btw. The only issue would be the additional postage fee.

And it's just rude to gawp at people exercising in sports bras. I probably still stick a t-shirt over mine if I go for a run when it's hot solely for this reason (i.e. if people didn't stare I'd just go out in the sports bra and shorts). But when I do hot yoga I just wear a sports bra and shorts because a hot yoga studio is not a place where people go for a gawp. :)

Ok, y'all.  I just left the boob store aka Trashy Diva lingerie.  I bought a 32DDD, a 32 DD (which has a definite "evening" shape with no spillage) and 2 34D brassieres.  The girls are not that big and haven't gotten noticeably bigger.  Did bra sizes shrink with the rest of the clothes?  

On another note.  I cannot even tell you how good I feel knowing I have 3 work appropriate bras that will control whatever is happening under my freaking shirt.  I'll post the brands in an edit when I get to some privacy.

Edit:  wearing a Heidi Klum (?) 34D out and about.  Three beers bloated me enough that now the girls are talking to each other and I feel like my boobs are trying to upstage me at karaoke.  This is not a great foundation garment for me.  Wish me luck tomorrow, nerds.

Edit II:  gapping at the top sides if I sit like a slattern (as is tradition).  This brassiere is a straight fail except in nipple control category.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:43 AM, Isis said:

I've heard people say they wear two bras to exercise but I honestly think it is far preferable in terms of fit/rub and chafe/support/everything to just wear one properly made, properly fitted sports bra. I say this as someone who requires A LOT of support (i.e. far more so than someone who wears a 34DD - which is basically like an average size anyway).

I am sure that Bravissimo deliver worldwide btw. The only issue would be the additional postage fee.

And it's just rude to gawp at people exercising in sports bras. I probably still stick a t-shirt over mine if I go for a run when it's hot solely for this reason (i.e. if people didn't stare I'd just go out in the sports bra and shorts). But when I do hot yoga I just wear a sports bra and shorts because a hot yoga studio is not a place where people go for a gawp. :)

Lol, what magical utopia do you hail from?

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, what magical utopia do you hail from?

I don't think this is meant to come off as badly as it does but when a cishet guy comments on a woman's statement about average bra sizes, that's a context in which it's easy to appear a bit... crass.

Anyway, so far as I know in the UK, US and many northern European countries the average cup size is a 34D or 36D so 34DD is only one size up from there. Which is basically an average size, I'd say?

Archived