GoT Cover, Kindle Edition (Night's King)

OtherFromAnotherMother

4 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.
grrm.livejournal, Jun. 9th, 2015 at 1:11 AM

I don't need more.

It seemed like GRRM was at surprised at the name being revealed as "Night King" in the credits as all of fandom. So all this really tells you is that, if there is a First Other or a Leader Other, GRRM wasn't stupid* enough to confuse us by calling him the Night King when there's already a Night's King around, and didn't realize D&D were going to do that.

Anyway, if I were GRRM, even if I had negotiated for final approval over all covers, I'd probably approve this one. If there's no King Other in the books, then this guy just represents any random Other in my universe. It really isn't going to confuse anyone any more than a a 19th century political cartoon that shows a "King Red" holding a treaty that Andrew Jackson has hidden a bomb inside. The southwestern tribes didn't have a King Red, and none of their particular chiefs or warband leaders looked particularly like King Red, but nobody is confused; everyone understands who Jackson is being accused of deceiving and mistreating.

---

* It would be stupid for the novels. Arguably it wasn't stupid for the show, but if you want to discuss that we should probably go to the show forums.

5 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.
grrm.livejournal, Jun. 9th, 2015 at 1:11 AM

I don't need more. Anyway, the show watchers believe plenty of things that are not in the books.

I agree.

1 hour ago, falcotron said:

If there's no King Other in the books, then this guy just represents any random Other in my universe.

But not to the target audience.

This is the point I am trying to make: putting this guy on the cover is obviously trying to attract show watchers to the books. Show watchers coming to the books will not think of the guy on the cover as a random Other, they will think he's the dude from the show and he is also in the books.

42 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

This is the point I am trying to make: putting this guy on the cover is obviously trying to attract show watchers to the books. Show watchers coming to the books will not think of the guy on the cover as a random Other, they will think he's the dude from the show and he is also in the books.

And that won't really change anything. It's not like the Night King is a real character with interesting motivations and a deep psychology that we know all about. At least as of the end of season 7 and book 5, the only people for whom the difference really matters are obsessive book readers like us.

3 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Should be funny to see a show watcher reading up and wondering where the hell is King Other by book 4. Or the other Others, too. 

All in all, I still think it's an awful move. A desperate attempt on milking a ongoing show money leviathan that will end shortly. I really hope George didn't give a yes on this.

I started reading after season 2. Picked up the Sean Stark AGoT edition. I found it corny. There are countless possibilities when thinking on a book cover but they chose a picture that might have taken the work of getting the actor to sit there. I actually felt a little put down by that cover but managed to push my reading through. This is why I say this cover is awful. I imagine a hardcover with that picture would feel like a magazine wrapped up around 800 pages.

17 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

All in all, I still think it's an awful move. A desperate attempt on milking a ongoing show money leviathan that will end shortly. I really hope George didn't give a yes on this.

What's so desperate about following the standard practice for any book that gets adapted?

Also, are you really sure that whichever prequel show or shows they choose to do next are going to be flops?

17 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I started reading after season 2. Picked up the Sean Stark AGoT edition. I found it corny. There are countless possibilities when thinking on a book cover but they chose a picture that might have taken the work of getting the actor to sit there.

They chose a picture they had lying around as a publicity shot taken for advertising the show that at least symbolically represents the story. How is that worse than Jon on a black horse with a crow flying over his head while a castle burns in the background, or some unidentifiable guy in full plate on a horse in full barding in front of some city, or someone who maybe could be Ned swinging a sword overhead surrounded by the six direwolves' floating heads, or Japanese Gary Numan as Jon with a pony-shaped Grey Wind behind him, or the remnant of an army standing on the shore watching a naval battle?

2 hours ago, falcotron said:

They chose a picture they had lying around as a publicity shot taken for advertising the show that at least symbolically represents the story. How is that worse than Jon on a black horse with a crow flying over his head while a castle burns in the background, or some unidentifiable guy in full plate on a horse in full barding in front of some city, or someone who maybe could be Ned swinging a sword overhead surrounded by the six direwolves' floating heads, or Japanese Gary Numan as Jon with a pony-shaped Grey Wind behind him, or the remnant of an army standing on the shore watching a naval battle?

It is ugly. I don't get why you intrincate a question in such a simple matter.

I've worked in book editorials (as we call them here) and yes. I do have a problem with book covers using a mere photograph.

2 hours ago, falcotron said:

What's so desperate about following the standard practice for any book that gets adapted?

Also, are you really sure that whichever prequel show or shows they choose to do next are going to be flops?

1. It is a bad practice. I won't validate a lame one because that's the way it's done.

2. GoT show is ending. This means no more Jon Snow, Emilia Clarke, Brienne, Hound and all these characters that greatly make this show sell. Don't really get why you infer this question after my post.

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

And they will discover that he is not.  :o

You know @Other from another mother, I recently either read on notablog or heard an interview with GRRM where he says HBO owns the story or something along those lines there has been so much lately.   I don't know if that means AGOT through ADWD or the entire series.   Another "owner" in the franchise can surely do as they please with a thing they have a managing interest in.  I think these covers of original story with photos from a show or movie is a cheap trick.   This series, book or television, is hugely successful but they are not the same story.   It makes sense to tie images from the show in if they get a piece of the money pie, but it's still really lame and misleading.   On the other hand, after season 5 GRRM made a statement along the lines that dead characters in the show are still alive in the books and he was inspired to take a character in another direction (#putSTANNISonthethrone).   I take it this is part of that gardener style writing.   Gads, what if he does have the final say and he approved it because some hapless Other is that character he wants to take in another direction?     I'm kidding.   

On 9/30/2017 at 6:04 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

And they will discover that he is not.  :o

Doubtful. I think only people who get on a forum or reddit would figure it out, and even then may still not realize it.

This is an incredibly small sample size but I have a friend who watched the show but is now reading the books and she is was under the impression that the Night's King was the same dude as on the show. It took me some time to explain everything to her.

We have to remember that most book readers are not as hardcore about ASOIAF as we are on westeros.org. or the other websites. This is especially true for people who have been influencedby the show.

Hey CF!

On 9/30/2017 at 10:24 PM, Curled Finger said:

It makes sense to tie images from the show in if they get a piece of the money pie, but it's still really lame and misleading. 

I think money is the only reason for a cover like this. 

This series, book or television, is hugely successful but they are not the same story.

Absolutely, but a cover like this really blurs the line of difference.

Gads, what if he does have the final say and he approved it because some hapless Other is that character he wants to take in another direction?     I'm kidding.   

Not impossible, but I sure hope not! 

On 9/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, King Merrett I Frey said:

Me too!

On 9/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, King Merrett I Frey said:

I started reading after season 2. Picked up the Sean Stark AGoT edition. I found it corny. There are countless possibilities when thinking on a book cover but they chose a picture that might have taken the work of getting the actor to sit there. I actually felt a little put down by that cover but managed to push my reading through.

Yeah. At least Ned is in the books though. Putting a character on the cover of a book he is not in is just strange.

Archived