Exodus and diaspora, to the East and the West.

Only 89 selfies today

The climate change will force many people to flee from Westeros.  Most of them will go east towards Essos but some will take a chance and go west to an unknown continent.  A small few will choose to stay and remain bound to the land. 

Dany will have the east sorted out and that will be the safest choice to go.  A few adventurous souls will choose to go west to find a new world.  The Starks will remain in the north for as long as they can.  They will hold out and outlast just about everyone (the children predicted that the direwolves will lasts the winter the longest but will eventually die too) but they will die before the end of winter. 

The land owning class (nobles) of Westeros will face the same choices that the slave owners of east have made.  The land gives them power and wealth.  The status they get from land ownership elevates them socially above everyone else.  Those who choose to move forward and accept the change will leave their lands behind to survive and begin a new life.  The ones who choose to stay for whatever reasons will freeze to death. 

There is no evidence for this but I think there is an America like continent to the west.  If we picture Essos as Europe and Westeros as the UK there is a big land mass to the west. 

4 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

The only ones I can see going west are the ironborn.  I guess this is like the theory that ancient vikings were the first to see the Americas.

For crossing the Sunset Sea, all there seems to be is a single legend about someone who tried it thousands of years ago and was never heard from again. (There's also Euron—but if you believe his claim, he sailed straight from Essos to Westeros without seeing another continent in the way.)

For crossing the Atlantic, there were multiple legends about people crossing successfully and settling just a few centuries ago. There were sagas about historically well-attested people being involved. There were maps. There were even tax records in Iceland about the trade. The only reason anyone doubted the Viking settlements was that the little ice age had made the formerly easy trip nearly impossible (and virtually cut off even Iceland, where most of the records were). And even then, Greenland was never in doubt, only the question of whether there was a better Vinland/Markland/Skraelingeland beyond it.

Also, the Westerosi aren't stuck using medieval ships. They've been sailing caravels and carracks for thousands of years, and still haven't managed to cross the sea.

Also:

18 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

There is no evidence for this but I think there is an America like continent to the west.  If we picture Essos as Europe and Westeros as the UK there is a big land mass to the west. 

But Westeros isn't much like the UK, it's a South America-sized continent, separated by an ocean that's about 10x wider than the English Channel.

Also, you really can't take the similarities in the maps for evidence of further similarities beyond it. Otherwise you'd expect Sothoryos to connect up to the Ghiscar peninsula and extend out west past Westeros, but when we saw the maps, it wasn't even close to that. And you'd expect Ulthos to be at the very limits of exploration, but it's actually right across a narrow strait from Essos. And so on.

I think the best arguments for an Americos are that GRRM is an American writer, and he grew up on Tolkien. 

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a livingchild. Then he will return, and not before." Dany 9 GoT

This unwitting prophecy once apon a time predicted Dany going past Asshai, coupled with Quaithe to go forwards you must go back... 

Rumour is going to Asshai has been dropped due to time, only way I can see it done if her land army marched west to Volantis and accross the not so broken arm of Dorne while she flies from Volantis to join her fleet going the other way.

There will almost certainly be an exodus to the East, but the Starks will not stay behind. O the contrary, Jon will be the first to lead his people away from Westeros with the Manderly fleet. I have a more elaborate thread about this on the TWoW sub-forum if you're interested in reading it.

The prospect of people fleeing West as well, eventually reaching Yi Ti or a different, unknown continent is very interesting, but not that likely. Even if it happens, I don't see how it can impact the story over the remaining two books. We can get a hint that someone is attempting this, but no more. I don't really see how it can tie in with the main storylines.

But the main issue with an exodus West is the lack of ships. We have to assume Euron took most of the Ironborn ships with him, and most of the others were destroyed or captured during his raids in the South and Balon's raids in the North. Lannisport was spared, but we already know the old Lannisport fleet was burned during the first Greyjoy rebellion and there are no hints that Tywin rebuilt it (it was probably not considered a necessity, since the Lannisters had control by proxy over King's Landing, a much better trade port, and Tywin was already lending a lot of gold to the Crown), so there probably aren't that many ships there.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:10 AM, Wolf's Bane said:

The only ones I can see going west are the ironborn.  I guess this is like the theory that ancient vikings were the first to see the Americas.

Only the farwynds believe there is land to the west. And it isn't a theory. We know where the vikings built a town 

Didn't Euron claim to have sailed from Asshai back to Westeros, and saw no land on the way?

I guess maybe he could have sailed past it.  I agree with Essos, Summer Isles,  etc.   being likely destinations.

Archived