I need help gather autographs on GOT (book 1), how to do it?

yeni_ceri

So, I normally do not use this nickname, but I decided to use a different nickname for this specific situation because maybe that person watches this board (more in a moment).

So, I have an old acquittance with whom I am on bad terms for quite a few years and imo it was my fault. So I decided that I want to make her a surprise, I will buy a copy of the first ASOIAF book (book 1 AGOT), and I want the author and the main cast (and maybe Hodor, because you know I like Hodor) to sign it.

When I first presented the idea on reddit, they told me.

"Oh you totally have to go to San Diego, it is your best and last chance, because this year will be the last season."

Problem being I live in Southern Europe, so I was looking for more affordable and quicker options.

Problem 2 with this whole things, I do not like very much GOT or ASOIAF, I saw the first season and I loved it, then I started watching the second one, and they started killing people and the anhedonia kicked in, it is not fun for me to know the faith of 90% of the characters, no offense to the fans, but imo when the faith of a character has been decided, they spoil all the fun. So I know very little about that world.

Nevertheless that old acquittance is a huge nerd for GOT and ASOIAF she would freak out (probably) and I'm 80% sure she would at least listen to me if I gave her book 1 signed (specially if it is first edition).  90% if J. R. R. Martin gave her a dedication.

Could you help me out, please? I am looking for ways to get it done.

Thanks!

I’d be insulted as it implies that I could be bought and that I’d forgive anything if the price was right. 

A sincere apology is best and most importantly demonstrating understanding of what you did and that you won’t repeat the action. Show her that you’ve put in time and work to change and mature instead of putting in time and work to get autographs.

You're not doing it for her. You're doing it for yourself. If she rejects your attempt at redemption you can always say/think "well, I'm not that bad, I did get the GoT autographs". Even if you don't see it, you're trying to get some kind of insurance and that's not cool in a situation like that.

Don't get me wrong. I believe we're always doing thing for ourselves and that's part of being a good person. But just do the best thing both for yourself and her and offer a sincere apology. If she doesn't want it, oh well, that's life. We can't fix everything.

On a side note, I don't know if the actors use to sign the books, but I'd be very uncomfortable signing a book authored by another person.

Before you say anything (and I'm going to say this just once), I'm not trying to buy that person's friendship, and the choice of pronouns was about in most latin based languages person being a feminine substantive, she may be not be a girl. Anyway, like I'm saying, I'm no trying to buy anything, that person strongly implied that if I have nothing to offer she won't even listen to me. She wants a token of appreciation gotcha? So why not? I'm just trying to get her to listen. I'm doing this with or without your help, because I need it (long story, there is something important we have to take care of).

So, without offending anyone, I am the one who says to you guys to cut the crap, no offense again, but you don't know anything about me (or that person's for the matter) story.

Again I am sorry for the long and tedious explanation, and you totally have not to help me you're not obliged to do it, but I would appreciate and be thankful if you do it.

Thanks!

The London film & comic cons will be nearer/cheaper for you than San Diego, however, I think the main ones are all done for this year. The last one I went to a few months back had maybe half a dozen of the cast there including Natalie Dorner, Fin Jones and Conleth Hill. I think Kristian Nairn (Hodor) may have been there too, or that may have been the year before. I think it costs about £20 per sig. It's unlikely they will get the main 7 or 8 cast members any more though and no chance of GRRM. Hodor next year is your best hope imo!

I think most of the advice posted here - that is, don't do it; write a letter - has been good.

If you insist on going with the book route, don't bother with getting actors to sign another man's book, most of whom have never read it. You can order a book from GRRM himself at his Santa Fe establishment. Personalized sigs are most likely out, however - do you have any idea of how many books this man signs? They now do shipping outside the US. Maybe one of the latest, illustrated editions; hopefully something that the woman of your dreams doesn't already have.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, Ser Greg of House House said:

On a side note, I don't know if the actors use to sign the books, but I'd be very uncomfortable signing a book authored by another person.

Famous people will sign anything. And sometimes you even get fun responses out of them.

I have a copy of LotR autographed by multiple people who were in the 70s animated movies. Anthony Daniels signed "This is the one where I'm not C3PO, right?" When I asked Roddy McDowall to sign it later, he read Daniels' autograph and asked, "Wait, am I C3PO in this one then?" and then he went to get Maurice LaMarche and asked him to forge John Huston's autograph while doing an impression of him.

But be careful. Mark Hamill was happy to autograph my copy of Falco's single Amadeus, but when I asked him to sign a Flash "Best of the Rogues Gallery" comic with a reprint of the first appearance of the Trickster, he asked if he could show it to somebody and then never came back.

42 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Famous people will sign anything. And sometimes you even get fun responses out of them.

I have a copy of LotR autographed by multiple people who were in the 70s animated movies. Anthony Daniels signed "This is the one where I'm not C3PO, right?" When I asked Roddy McDowall to sign it later, he read Daniels' autograph and asked, "Wait, am I C3PO in this one then?" and then he went to get Maurice LaMarche and asked him to forge John Huston's autograph while doing an impression of him.

I cannot tell you how how very, supremely jealous I am of you :D

42 minutes ago, falcotron said:

But be careful. Mark Hamill was happy to autograph my copy of Falco's single Amadeus,

Aaaah, shyte! I just got much, much more jealouser :cheers:

Archived