Secret Santa XII - Gifts are arriving!

Lany Freelove Cassandra

It is that time of the year again, to sign up for the ASOIAF world-wide Secret Santa.

As a way of getting to know each other better and bringing us closer together, every year for the past 11 years we have had a Secret Santa "game" here at Westeros. It has been a great deal of fun, and I am proud to once again host it.

You do not need to celebrate Christmas to participate.

We do have a $50 US gift amount. Please be mindful that this doesn't include shipping. I highly recommend using a site such as Amazon to ship the gifts, as postage can be very expensive.

I say this every year, but it needs to be said again:  PLEASE ONLY SIGN UP IF YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN PARTICIPATE!  You have about a month to decide. 

You can see how previous years worked here and here and here

It works like this:

1) Sign up between Oct 1 and Nov 1;  Answer at least one of the questionnaires either in the thread or send to me privately;  PM me your address, even if you have played before. Unless I have permission*, I do not keep your addresses from year to year. (*if I send you Holiday Cards, I have your address)

2) Nov 1: I will use random.org to assign you a giftee; secretly find out everything you can about your giftee (questionnaire, reading their posts, etc); Buy gift(s);  Ship before Dec 1 (I will post shipping deadlines provided by the US Postal Service and others); PM me when you ship (I'm pretty anal about keeping track of things

3) Receive your gift--try to guess who it is from; Post in the thread about, even if you don't open it until Christmas, so your Santa doesn't worry that the gift was lost (this has happened, gifts have even been stolen, but Amazon replaced the stolen ones, another reason to use their service) or just PM me that your gift has arrived

The Santas:

Lany Cassandra

Zar Lannister

Helena

KiDisaster

Rocksniffer

Lily Valley

Anubiel

expecto patronum

TC

Tellus Exploror

Fragile Bird

Dream Song

Q the Cat

Mlle. Zabzy

Shipping is at an all time high, so I have a list of links of places you can order from in various countries (you do not have to use these, it is just an extra thing I thought might help). If you know of any good sites for specific countries let me know and I will add them to the list.

US:  https://www.amazon.com/

Australia: http://shopping.kadaza.com.au/

Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/

http://www.shop.ca/

Germany: http://www.amazon.de/

Great Britian: http://www.amazon.co.uk/

India: http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/index.html

http://www.homeshop18.com/

http://www.flipkart.com/

http://www.amazon.in/

For the best Geeky Gifts, two of my favorite sites ;) 

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/

Questionnaire: Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald's, Burger King, etc):

Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc):
Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc):
Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like):
Favorite animal:
Favorite movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like):
Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like:
Do you collect anything?
Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need?

What is your favorite:

a. Color?
b. Type of candy? 
c. Type of munchie?
d. Puzzle to do?

Do you collect anything for Christmas? (i.e. certain types of ornaments, nativities, snowmen...etc.) .

What type of hobbies do you have?

If you were going to theme Christmas with just one word... what would it be?

Big family Christmas with everyone down to 2nd cousins...or just immediate family in their jammies?

Favorite Christmas movie and why?

Religious or non-religious Christmas/Chaunaka/

If you could spend Christmas in any one of these places, which one would you choose and why:
a. A beach on a tropical island just a few very close family or friends, be lazy and open presents and then have a non traditional dinner including Pina Coladas and BBQ shrimp, wearing swimsuits, Bermuda shorts and tank tops
b. Tiny cabin in the woods, fire going, very rustic, warm and cozy with your close family and friends, wearing jeans and sweaters.
c. Biltmore Estates, full regalia, all glitter and glitz, all your close family and friends, wearing black tie and velvet
d. NYC Christmas, Park Avenue, last minute hustle and bustle, haute couture with a 4 course meal and champagne with 50 of your favorite people. Wearing, of course. the latest fashion favorites.

Favorite Christmas music

What is your Christmas morning like"

a. chaotic
b. slow and relaxed
c. organized, but fast paced
d. "Christmas is HOW SOON???!!!!"
e. all of the above.

Name something you want but will never buy for yourself, just because you cannot see yourself being that flamboyant.

What sizes do you wear (optional answer if you would prefer to not have clothing)

What colors are in your home:

What style is your home decorated in? (i.e. ethnic, country, southwestern...etc

Anything else your SS should know about you?

Do you have any wish lists?

On 10/6/2017 at 9:56 AM, Zar Lannister said:

Well /INNNN

:love: 

On 10/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, KiDisaster said:

YAY. I am in again. I'll post my questionnaire soon. 

On 10/6/2017 at 0:20 PM, rocksniffer said:

:love: I always thought it was "in like Flynn" and for some reason I thought it was about Earl Flynn

13 hours ago, Lily Valley said:
  1. MEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!  MMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!  Lany I can ship anywhere!  

:love::love::love: 

Oh, this time of the year again! I'm in! I'll ship anywhere.

I'll be naughty and not answer the questionnaire :P But some info about me that might be helpful:

I love horses, have been riding since I was about 6 and still do 28 years later. I have a 15 month old son, two Maine Coons and a husband.

No clothes, please, 'cause I'm REALLY picky about them.

When I have the time I love to cook.

I read a lot, mostly on my Kindle, but "real" books are also welcome.

I love a pretty bauble!

It's cold where I live.

Maltesers are my favourite.

Scented candles are awesome, especially Voluspa, but Yankee Candle is also great! No vanilla, though, as my husband HATES that scent.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

:love: I always thought it was "in like Flynn" and for some reason I thought it was about Earl Flynn

:love::love::love: 

well my dear you are reasonably correct...the original phrase is in like Flynn...for Errol Flynn...out of curiosity i looked it up and here is what i found...who knew :leer:

however i use in like flint, because the flint films are two of my favorites beginning with our man flint, followed by in like flint ;)

Yay! Thank you for hosting again Lany, this thread is one of my favourite things about the forum :love: you're the best

I'm in. Some info to help my Santa:

Books are always a safe bet. Fantasy is my favourite genre (though if you want to avoid duplicates, avoid Hobb, Abercrombie, Lynch, Rothfuss...the biggies. Don't include Terry Pratchett in this because I have his works mostly on e-book but love the hard copies). Also a big fan of the classics with nice covers on them. 

Edit: I realise that’s unclear. To avoid any duplicates don’t buy Hobb, Martin, Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lynch etc. But Pratchett is okay because I have most stuff of his on ebook but really love some of the cover art on the physical copies. 

Something which gives me a flavour of "home" for you is always appreciated - e.g. The cookbook and CD I got off the wonderful @Lily Valley last year. Has seen much use.

Music, I have a pretty varied taste, my favourites being Florence and the Machine, Arcade Fire, Wolf Alice, QOTSA and Royal Blood.  

I do drink alcohol, spirits for the most part though I like a nice wine on ocassion. And also cocktails. I am rather partial to a cocktail of an evening.

Films and TV...I watch a lot, too much and too varied to list here :P 

Do not buy clothes as I am in a position where sizing is an issue for me

I participate in the various reading, watching and rank your TV shows threads across the forum if you wish to see more specifics.

I have to say that Secret Santa has been the only Christmas for me a couple of bad years.  I used to throw a huge party on Christmas Eve when my life was much different than it became.  One year, my son was in the hospital and I just couldn't throw the party.  The only Christmas cheer I got that year was from you nerds.  Y'all have given me love and hope more than once.  

SO LET ME PAY PAY YOU BACK AND FILL OUT THOSE QUESTIONAIRES!!!!  :

I love you SPAMILY!!!!!

Questionnaire 1

Questionnaire: Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald's, Burger King, etc): Italian, and Spanish

Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc): Clean Linen, Pine, Woodsy...
Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc): Reading.
Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like): Mostly Non-Fiction, or classics.
Favorite animal: Dog.
Favorite movies or ty-es (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like): Drama. I don't have a current desire for any movies though. I like Indie Films but I'm a bit picky. Well, I also like collecting Academy Award Winners to Best Picture.
Sadly I'm not home so I don't have my full collection of movies here, but it's a safe bet I don't have any of the 90's winners.

Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like: Eh, not really, tbh.  BUUUUUUUUUUT... I just got (2017) a vinyl player... I COULD actually enjoy a couple of Vinyls... I don't have ANY (in English)... so anything in this department works.   Sinatra, Nat King Cole would work (I'm a sucker for the Rat Pack), Christmas Music would work... The Beatles would work... There's a couple of other musicians that would work in fact... and it doesn't have to be a NEW vinyl, like, if you're in one of those places where one can procure a good old working old vinyl in good condition I'd be more than happy! 

Do you collect anything? Ornaments with a story (classic Christmas themed), and Freezer Magnets from around the world.

Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need? See the Vinyl section above. Also, if you live in an area with a Nice Coffee Roaster (like Irving Farms, Intelligentsia, Stumptown, there are a few across the pond too if you're there), or you can order coffee beans, that's also a nice gift. Anything that's not from my home turf is nice. Lany can tell you more about that.

What is your favorite:

a. Color? Blue
b. Type of candy? Chocolate. But it would probably melt given I forward my mail from abroad, so I don't suggest it.
c. Type of munchie? I'm actually not that much of a munchie person anymore. Salted Nuts? Beef Jerky (oh my God talk to Lany about the person that makes the Beef Jerky that's a member of the board). <- Sadly I heard she sold her business :( (I mean I'm happy she made a profit! But sad because it was soooo good).
d. Puzzle to do? No puzzles please, I don't have that much free time anymore! I mostly use my barely free time to read and do some studying, so the Puzzles just remain there lingering until they make themselves, which won't happen <.<

Do you collect anything for Christmas? (i.e. certain types of ornaments, nativities, snowmen...etc.). Any catholic religious themed ornaments are welcome. Lany gave me one for a secret santa which was one of my favorite all time ornaments. She can give you tips. It was a LiBien hand painted ornament with a scene of the Nativity. I kind of collect ornaments with a story; the idea is when you look at an ornament and ask about it you might learn what it was about. So the Christmas tree in this house is somewhat of a small talk generator when guests are over. It's always fun.

What type of hobbies do you have? Reading, mostly. I read a lot. But I tend to be focused into certain types of reads and I'm a bit fickle there being honest, but clothbound / hardcover classics are always appreciated (Koba gave me the Canterbury Tales in clothbound, I loved it, Helena gave me Dracula and Frankestein (Mary Shelley's book is sooo good, still have to catch up reading on these but these have all been great!). I have Wuthering Heights and Confessions of St. Augustine in Clothbound Editions too. I also have GoT in Clothbound, the 75th Anniversary Edition of the Hobbit... a couple of hardbound books with the golden borders... I have a Collection of selected writings from Guy de Maupaissant, among other things... I like books as you can see. You can make a safe bet in this department. 

If you were going to theme Christmas with just one word... what would it be? Joy!

Big family Christmas with everyone down to 2nd cousins...or just immediate family in their jammies? Oh, I wish I could host a party where my second cousins could bring their neighbor's best friend. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I like hosting friends and family. It's often not that big an event but you get the idea of how open to guests I am for that time!

Favorite Christmas movie and why? Eh... Does Annie Hall count? Maybe Miracle on 34th Street? :shrug: I don't think I have a favorite Christmas movie, tbh. I think I spend too much time enjoying the holiday and all that comes with it to keep tabs on movies related to it. (I don't like Elf very much, if I could say anything about it). I don't know, the entire holiday has a meaning to me. 

Religious or non-religious Christmas/Chaunaka/: Religious with an advent wreath and everything in between. 

If you could spend Christmas in any one of these places, which one would you choose and why: 
I'd like  B, but C is also nice sans velvet (I don't like velvet... never liked touching velvet when I was little.) 

a. A beach on a tropical island just a few very close family or friends, be lazy and open presents and then have a non traditional dinner including Pina Coladas and BBQ shrimp, wearing swimsuits, Bermuda shorts and tank tops
b. Tiny cabin in the woods, fire going, very rustic, warm and cozy with your close family and friends, wearing jeans and sweaters.
c. Biltmore Estates, full regalia, all glitter and glitz, all your close family and friends, wearing black tie and velvet
d. NYC Christmas, Park Avenue, last minute hustle and bustle, haute couture with a 4 course meal and champagne with 50 of your favorite people. Wearing, of course. the latest fashion favorites.

Favorite Christmas music: The Rat Pack, It reminds me of cold winters and hot chocolate, the really thick type with whipped cream on top, even if I can't really eat cream anymore :(

What is your Christmas morning like": B, kinda, might have a bit of a) depending...

a. chaotic
b. slow and relaxed
e. all of the above.

Name something you want but will never buy for yourself, just because you cannot see yourself being that flamboyant. 
... Hmmm... a Segway?

What sizes do you wear (optional answer if you would prefer to not have clothing): Hmm. Medium in Slim Fit. Regular medium doesn't sit good on me. But maybe no clothes... I mean unless you think it's something I could really use... I like really light fabric long sleeve shirts I live in a very warm country. I'm not that big a user of T-Shirts.

What colors are in your home: White and some brown color that looks like a coffee drink sold at Starbucks. There's some spark of blue. Most art is black and white.

What style is your home decorated in? (i.e. ethnic, country, southwestern...etc...) Eclectic maybe?

Anything else your SS should know about you? Christmas is probably my favorite holiday by far. Oh, Lany will have to give you something you need to fill out so that I can get my mail forwarded from abroad (it's more reliable). Don't panic! I won't get the info... it's something customs in the DR keeps and it must go inside the box you send out for me. If you send me something from and online store, don't ask them to hide the invoice (so maybe avoid getting it gift wrapped by the store?). If that form doesn't go inside the box then customs holds my stuff until I can provide the info. It's no biggie BAI, Koba and Helena have managed it before.

Do you have any wish lists? I do but it's outdated. Just follow your heart or appeal to Lany's wisdom. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in! So glad I didn't miss the deadline!

Questionnaire: 

Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald's, Burger King, etc): Vegetarian. 
Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc): I really like a lot of different scents. Favorites include vanilla, coconut, and fall smells, like cinnamon, apple.
Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc): Gaming (primarily on PS4 - Still obsessed with Overwatch), Birding, Podcasts, Hiking, Board Games, sometimes crafty stuff, like paining (acrylics) etc. True Crime is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like): Non-Fiction mostly, and some fantasy of course. (As a book gift, I would love a philosophy book or academic book that has influenced you.)
Favorite animal: Dogs, Birds, + any animal that's cute really! I really <3 animals.
Favorite movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like): Documentaries. James Bond. Marvel movies. I do sometimes like a good indie comedy (a la 'Don't think twice' or 'The Big Sick').
Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like: I mostly listen to spotify. I am a bit of a Eurovision geek.
Do you collect anything? Branded beer glasses. Does blankets count? I just really love a good blanket. 
Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need? I can always make room for; make up (I do need new eye liner but any makeup is fun), pots and pans and other cooking stuff, candles, nice smelling lotions and such, earrings or other jewelry, board games (ideally 2 player games or co-op games for 4), scarfs and/or mittens, and blankets of course. I also enjoy a good t-shirt. Also, my dog is small (16 lbs) and likes to chew on things.

What is your favorite:

a. Color? Purple!
b. Type of candy? Licorice! Especially salty licorice. :D
c. Type of munchie? I love munching in general. Love myself some cheese, olives, potato chips. I am always looking for All-Dressed Chips or Pepper Jack Skinny Pop.
d. Puzzle to do? I do crosswords in Swedish, but that's not very helpful, is it? I do love myself some piccross. And once in a while I'll do a jigsaw.

Do you collect anything for Christmas? (i.e. certain types of ornaments, nativities, snowmen...etc.) . Nope

If you were going to theme Christmas with just one word... what would it be? Cozy

Big family Christmas with everyone down to 2nd cousins...or just immediate family in their jammies? Jammies!

Favorite Christmas movie and why? Die Hard, because it's a masterpiece. I don't really associate any children's movie with Christmas.

Religious or non-religious Christmas/Chaunaka/: Non-Religious Christmas (I'm from Sweden originally, so I usually celebrate Swedish style on December 24th. This year I will be spending Christmas with my in-laws in South Carolina though, so it will be more American.)

Favorite Christmas music: Just the generic stuff

a. chaotic
b. slow and relaxed
e. all of the above.

I think last year I put LEGO here, and that's still true. I guess 'toys' in general, like fancy train sets, for instance, or an expensive but beautiful D.Va Statue.

What sizes do you wear (optional answer if you would prefer to not have clothing)

Ladies Large. 

What colors are in your home:

Pretty neutral in general. Purples and dark blues in living room and black/white with some red in bedroom.

What style is your home decorated in? (i.e. ethnic, country, southwestern...etc): IKEA chic ;)

Anything else your SS should know about you?

I don't want any Funko Pops, please (I have a few that I really like, but am not looking to get more). Otherwise, I'm easy to please! I will love your gift, I know it.

I will be away Nov 18th to Dec 2nd, so please try to send gift after that, to avoid issues with the post office.

Sorry for the information overload above, but wanted to make it easy for you!
:D

Do you have any wish lists?

Nope.

ETA: In case you are stuck, a board game I would love is 7 wonders duel.

alright here is mine slightly updated from last year

looking forward to giving and getting ...thanks Lany :wub:

Questionnaire: Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald's, Burger King, etc): asian, indian, or anything indigenous to your area...i really enjoy exploring local flavours

Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc): i like earthy smells...as a rocksniffer should ;)

Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc): fishing, rock collecting, drinking, eating fish
Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like): sci-fi or fantasy...old school and new stuff
Favorite animal: i have 1 dogs and a cat...so i am a catdog man
Favorite movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like): i have a lot of movies though i am always looking to expand...and my tastes range from spagetti westerns to war flicks to high drama to porn...with the exception of zombies i really dig horror...old school Hammer flicks are my fav

Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like: i like heavy metal, rock, blues...anything really...surprise me
Do you collect anything? i collect shells and rocks...and if you go outside to a rivr bed or seashore near where you live and gather me a handful of rocks, sand, shells, dirt..i will be happy
Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need? i need a little something...a map...of where my secret santa lives...i collect maps... all kinds

What is your favorite:

a. Color? targaryen red...tully blue...and Harley black and orange
b. Type of candy? all kinds...except taffy...i love nut brittles, and candies that are native to your locale
c. Type of munchie? dried fruit, chocolate covered nuts...really any kind of nuts...rice and sesame treats...wasabi peas
d. Puzzle to do? i enjoy all kinds of puzzles..

Do you collect anything for Christmas? (i.e. certain types of ornaments, nativities, snowmen...etc.) . i don't but the nieces do ornaments from your local craftsmen/women are preferred

What type of hobbies do you have?...didn't i answer this...or maybe i was fishing ...

If you were going to theme Christmas with just one word... what would it be? homemade...around here we love homemade gifts...either ones we make or ones we buy that are homemade...

Big family Christmas with everyone down to 2nd cousins...or just immediate family in their jammies?   mornings jammies...afternoons and next day everyone....

Favorite Christmas movie and why? Scrooged and The Nightmare Before Christmas both for the same reason...they are traditional stories offered in an nontraditional way

Religious or non-religious Christmas/Chaunaka/... non religious

either of these is good...beach or woods with close friends and family would make me happy

Favorite Christmas music...i am a fan of christmas music of all types but my favorite is... this

a. chaotic
b. slow and relaxed...since the nieces are older the morning is calm and relaxed...herbs, mimosas and baked french toast with real maple syrup...
e. all of the above.

Name something you want but will never buy for yourself, just because you cannot see yourself being that flamboyant. hard back copies of asoiaf...i have a dance with dragons in hardcover but 1st 4 are worn out paperbacks

What sizes do you wear (optional answer if you would prefer to not have clothing)...no clothes, thanks

What colors are in your home: any and all colors....

What style is your home decorated in? (i.e. ethnic, country, southwestern...etc...no style whatsoever...

Anything else your SS should know about you? i enjoy things that are local to you, secret santa...candy, spices, rocks and shells, local art and crafts...beer and liquor are always welcome ;)

Do you have any wish lists? not really...though i wish you to send me things i can't get where i live...local grown, handmade, locally harvested things are best...one yr someone got a group of local spice packets...i thought that was an outstanding gift....really i joyfully accept all gifts and welcome them in the spirit they were given...and send out the same.... ;)

fin..

:smoking:

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

My dear friends!  Last month, or two months ago (I can't keep track of time) my old laptop decided it was tired and went to sleep, never to wake again.  I still can't get anything off it, so please, EVERYONE! send me your addresses!

did you mean everyone...

Archived