Alys Rivers' Visions

How was she able to use the fire to locate Daemon? I thought the priests had to train or practice to use the fires. I suppose stannis did the same but he did have a red priest that was there to at least let him know it was possible to see visions. Did Alys maybe just hear this was possible and try it on her own? 

Any implications (even if speculative) this could have had? 

Factors to consider:

1. She was pregnant with a Targ bastard at the time
  2. She was at Harrenhal
  3. Also worth noting: she didn't seem to see the future. Farsight is a much more common ability than prophecy.

I've been trying to come up with a good hypothesis for how the fire magic works, something that's consistent with our other observations about magic. Seeing visions in fire is easy enough: you stare into a fire for long enough and you become temporarily blinded. Being unable to see is a pretty well established way to activate a psychic talent, so this isn't a mystery. So what we need to determine is, why does she have psychic talent (as a Rivers she could easily be a Blackwood byblow) and how does she know to activate it by staring at a fire?

47 minutes ago, Jaak said:

Were any visions of Alys Rivers confirmed before Aemon parted from Cole´s army, by persons who survived the rout of Cole´s army and lived to tell the tale?

No the only "evidence" or the sentence in the book is when Aemond One-Eye lands Vhagar in Harrenhall and says 

The prince helped his woman down from Vhagar’s back, then turned to face his uncle. “Nuncle, I hear you have been seeking us.” “Only you,” Daemon replied. “Who told you where to find me?”

“My lady,” Aemond answered. “She saw you in a storm cloud, in a mountain pool at dusk, in the fire we lit to cook our suppers. She sees much and more, my Alys. You were a fool to come alone.” 

When I made the post I didn't remember the storm cloud or mountain pool

10 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

No the only "evidence" or the sentence in the book is when Aemond One-Eye lands Vhagar in Harrenhall and says 

The prince helped his woman down from Vhagar’s back, then turned to face his uncle.

For which Gyldayn only has Alys´ words.

We are expressly told that after the departure of Criston and army, Harrenhal was completely deserted and devoid of people. The people present in the neighbourhood regarded Harrenhal as a likely target for any future attack and for that reason stayed at a distance. Since Aemond and Daemon died, that left Alys as the sole surviving witness of the alleged conversation.

1 hour ago, Jaak said:

For which Gyldayn only has Alys´ words.

We are expressly told that after the departure of Criston and army, Harrenhal was completely deserted and devoid of people. The people present in the neighbourhood regarded Harrenhal as a likely target for any future attack and for that reason stayed at a distance. Since Aemond and Daemon died, that left Alys as the sole surviving witness of the alleged conversation.

Correct whatever "squatters" or any people that happened to be in Harenhall's walls left as soon as Daemon landed inside 2 weeks previously. So yes you would be correct about that. Certainly no one could have been close enough to hear their dialogue. Great point and honestly something simple I overlooked 

Archived