Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

16 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are a sup-group of Klingons who have temporarily seized power. 

As far as I'm concerned, that hope died out the second we saw the Kol outside of just the hologram. Kol is from the house of Kor, so we know he is part of the main Klingon lineages that we see in future Treks, so sadly, this is what Klingons look like for the time being. I wonder if they might consider dialing back the changes in season two, or if they figure they are committed at this point, because these new look Klingons have not been well received from what I've seen.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The mentioned Kahless quite a bit in the two-hour pilot and a couple of weeks back.

This episode was solid. It was good to get rid of the tardigrade (well-played or not, it was kind of ridiculous) and they got some good action sequences going. Also a very good performance by Rain Wilson as Harry Mudd, even if I didn't buy this was the same character who'd turn into an avuncular buffoon ten years later. Nice nod to continuity, naming Robert April, Jonathan Archer and Christopher Pike as three of Starfleet's greatest captains.

The ending was also really good. A nod to the Mirror Universe, I'm presuming.

Also, wasn't it a bit blindingly obvious that:

Hide contents

New castmember dude is a Klingon spy?

They have mentioned Kahless a few times, but it feels like they spend more time jerking off T'Kuvma The Geek Killed by a 120lb Human Female (once again, still a more apt title than "The Unforgettable").

And yeah, it is almost certainly a situation like you mention, felt super telegraphed.

I agree with Wert about

new guy being a spy. It's a bit sad that they are playing that one out when it really should have been revealed before the end of the episode. That or subvert the trope by having the Captain kill the guy/arrest him for interrogation as soon as he was back on board the Discovery. My only hope is he's playing the exact same guy as he did in the prison and will use new guy to feed info to the klingons. Bit of a risk letting them know about the spore drive though.

The mirror universe hint was fun though and I agree with others that the potty mouth was off for star trek. Firstly it came off like a child discovering a naughty word rather than being natural. The other issue is that with Trek I always happily reconciled their manners with the fact some words had just fallen out of the english language.

Not as annoying as episode 4 but a bit traditonal besides the animal torture.

One rather obvious spoiler (you can work it out by looking at the cast lists):

The actor who plays Albino Klingon Dude also plays Suspiciously Easily Rescued Starfleet Dude.

Sigh.

I didn't enjoy episode 5 at all.In fact i skipped some scenes.I don't remember Star Trek being this joyless or lifeless.Now i'm not a Trek fan in that i've not watched all the previous iterations of the show but have only watched various episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. This was a long time back but i do remember it had memorable characters and the stories were interesting.

This new show pales in comparison so far.I think for me one of the reasons for this is the casting.The main lead actress is very one dimensional acting wise.The rest of the cast is forgettable.Jason Isaacs is a damn good actor, but even he can't save this i'm afraid.

TNG had so many memorable characters and that was why i tuned in each week to watch it.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

One rather obvious spoiler (you can work it out by looking at the cast lists):

Hide contents

The actor who plays Albino Klingon Dude also plays Suspiciously Easily Rescued Starfleet Dude.

Sigh.

That's some good detective work and actually would have been a decent twist on an obvious set up. EDIT: Or maybe it's a double bluff and they are payign homage to the multiple roles eg Jeffrey Combs but that's probably wishful thinking.

I guess this means

this group of klingons have the "humanizing tech" so may go someway to explaining why they never looked like the conehead weirdthings they currently are.

54 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I didn't enjoy episode 5 at all.In fact i skipped some scenes.I don't remember Star Trek being this joyless or lifeless.Now i'm not a Trek fan in that i've not watched all the previous iterations of the show but have only watched various episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. This was a long time back but i do remember it had memorable characters and the stories were interesting.

This new show pales in comparison so far.I think for me one of the reasons for this is the casting.The main lead actress is very one dimensional acting wise.The rest of the cast is forgettable.Jason Isaacs is a damn good actor, but even he can't save this i'm afraid.

TNG had so many memorable characters and that was why i tuned in each week to watch it.

So far they are lacking in the character department. Weird fin alien is mainly interesting for his appearance and the fact they probably use "Gandalf and the hobbit" effects to highlight but that isn't character. Isaacs character needs to be either full on psycho or more convincing that he thinks this is the greater good or the war is so desperate. To be honest the war as we've seen it doesn't seem desperate and my view is it's the klingons who are losing. The new episode missed a chance by avoiding letting us see what the captain's stance would have been on torturing sentient lifeforms (would have mirrored his situation nicely).

They do at least have "Nebula" from GOTG in the show. I just use those two films to inform me on how the character wound up in starfleet. I guess she lives a lot longer than humans.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

That's some good detective work and actually would have been a decent twist on an obvious set up. EDIT: Or maybe it's a double bluff and they are payign homage to the multiple roles eg Jeffrey Combs but that's probably wishful thinking.

I guess this means

Hide contents

this group of klingons have the "humanizing tech" so may go someway to explaining why they never looked like the conehead weirdthings they currently are.

How does that explain their appearance on Enterprise and how they look on TNG, DS9 and VOY? I hope they find a way to make things right and fix them. That's the hardest part of the show for me.

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Hide contents

How does that explain their appearance on Enterprise and how they look on TNG, DS9 and VOY? I hope they find a way to make things right and fix them. That's the hardest part of the show for me.

Well, it's not that far removed from what's been established in DS9 and Enterprise just with some added bullshit about the Enterprise ones still being "humanised" klingons even when there were even more "humanised" ones around? But yeah, it's still BS.

I guess if they can turn klingons into humans it could be virus based and result in all the klingons looking less messed up? But there should still be next gen era klingons somewhere? But the BS there could be there was a purge somewhere between Enterprise and Discovery. So we're only left with the purest of klingons. Doesn't really make any sense why a klingon who is a devout nationalist would effectively become the species he hates but I guess he's already considered a freak klingon.

It's weak but they are never really going to come up with a good reason other than "our egos insisted we mess with the design". All the while forgetting that, yes, better budgets were the reason we got different klingons in the movies/next gen but it at least was set in the future and didn't really screw with continuity. Tbh it would never have been an issue with next gen until DS9 decided to do the tribble episode.

Saw an article on google news earlier speculating that Lorca is actually mirror universe Lorca, I thought that was an interesting idea. Though I hope that they don't suggest that Section 31 is only evil because it's run by people from over there. 

On 16/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, Werthead said:

The mentioned Kahless quite a bit in the two-hour pilot and a couple of weeks back.

This episode was solid. It was good to get rid of the tardigrade (well-played or not, it was kind of ridiculous) and they got some good action sequences going. Also a very good performance by Rain Wilson as Harry Mudd, even if I didn't buy this was the same character who'd turn into an avuncular buffoon ten years later. Nice nod to continuity, naming Robert April, Jonathan Archer and Christopher Pike as three of Starfleet's greatest captains.

The ending was also really good. A nod to the Mirror Universe, I'm presuming.

Also, wasn't it a bit blindingly obvious that:

Reveal hidden contents

New castmember dude is a Klingon spy?

The fifth name, after the three Enterprise captains and Georgiou, is Commodore Decker from TOS's The Doomsday Machine.

Its like reading two completely different worlds seeing the reactions here compared to the ones of most people I follow on twitter. Especially regarding Michael, who is absolutely adored elsewhere and I share those feelings - I like the character and I think the actress is fantastic, so I've got no idea where complaints on that quarter come from. The only thing that does seem universally unpopular is the klingons - even those that can handle the look (like me) find that the scenes with just Klingons drag too much.

If your objection is that tonally the series is too dark to be true Trek then I can respect that, even if I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm not the core Trek fandom so I get that you could feel betrayed. If you're caught up on the continuity differences I think you should really just try let go of it or give up on enjoying the show, because I don't see how you can enjoy a show if you're raging at stuff that isn't going to change from here. What we have now is the premise of this show and I'm going to enjoy what we get from this premise.

@Werthead I'm not so sure on the spy thing. And even less sure that he's going to turn out to be the Albino Klingon, I think it more likely they have the actor pulling double roles than that. Everything about the implied rape by the Captain was played too straight, and too respectfully, for me to think the show that wrote that in (I've seen suggested it was something of a mea culpa for how ST has treated the subject of male rape by Klingon women in the past) is going to undermine that by it having been all an act. She also seemed to genuinely react when Lorca called her out on it in a way I don't think she would have managed if it was all an act. None of which means he isn't a spy, but it goes against the shapeshifted theory. I'm hoping that either him as a spy is a red herring because it seems obvious, or that Lorca is indeed playing him again like in the cell.

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

If your objection is that tonally the series is too dark to be true Trek then I can respect that, even if I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm not the core Trek fandom so I get that you could feel betrayed. If you're caught up on the continuity differences I think you should really just try let go of it or give up on enjoying the show, because I don't see how you can enjoy a show if you're raging at stuff that isn't going to change from here. What we have now is the premise of this show and I'm going to enjoy what we get from this premise.

My problem is not only about the tonal darkness, but also in the weakness of the scripts. They throw all that sinister stuff in, but nothing of it makes sense in context or has no consequence at all. Episode 5 for example went out of its way to retcon everything about Burnham's arrival on the Discovery being totally legit and approved by Starfleet, making plain everything in episode 3 nil and void. Why the fuck make everything so dark and sinister that everyone would believe that this is an illegal black-ops ship and then... pretending that this is not the case at all! It makes everyone on that ship look like a moron...

... when they are not portrayed as petty assholes anyway. We are supposed to believe that nobody sees the creature crying in pain and dieing and we are supposed to still like these characters when they get dismissive or hostile when it's pointed out to them? There is so much completely baseless hostility among the crew that I'm constantly thinking this is not a Starfleet vessel full of professional scientists, but a soap opera full of bitchy teenagers. It's really cheap drama and pointless drama and it really rubs me the wrong way. Up until last episode Spore Science Guy was the only one I still liked, but his whole attitude in regards to Burnham, the doctor and the creature until he was forced to admit reason destroyed even that much. That's what hurts this show: I don't care about anyone in it! At all!

@Werthead I'm not so sure on the spy thing. And even less sure that he's going to turn out to be the Albino Klingon, I think it more likely they have the actor pulling double roles than that. Everything about the implied rape by the Captain was played too straight, and too respectfully, for me to think the show that wrote that in (I've seen suggested it was something of a mea culpa for how ST has treated the subject of male rape by Klingon women in the past) is going to undermine that by it having been all an act. She also seemed to genuinely react when Lorca called her out on it in a way I don't think she would have managed if it was all an act. None of which means he isn't a spy, but it goes against the shapeshifted theory. I'm hoping that either him as a spy is a red herring because it seems obvious, or that Lorca is indeed playing him again like in the cell.

It was played respectfully? Where? There was only the one scene of Captain Sinister twisting in mild discomfort while thinking about the implications of what that guy said and that was it.

I'm fairly sure he's a spy, and a really obvious one at that. Because in every single scene of this guy I couldn't help but think that these Clingon prisons must have a spa with peelings and barbershops and massages and whatnot, because damn did he look pretty and in good shape for someone who has been imprisoned and tortured for seven months. And had even enough strength to break some dude's neck and fight off the Clingon girl with the cute red plastic spikes despite saying to be unable to walk five fucking steps to the shuttle bay.

I think you are seeing older Trek through rose coloured glasses if you think this is dramatically worse writing, but that's not a discussion that is going to go anywhere productive. It certainly had some good ideas, and some well written episodes, but there was plenty of godawful writing in the episodes of TNG I watched last year and in the first season and a half of DS9 I've watched the last few weeks. The dialogue especially is just painful without nostalgia covering it over. The acting style is as well, and I say style because I know it was a deliberate choice in the style of the times - not a criticism of the acting itself.

Your read on the crew dynamics on Discovery is just completely different to mine. I'll grant that they didn't seem to be proactively noticing the distress of the tardigrade until Michael pointed it out, but I can very easily accept that as "not wanting to see it because they need it", but once its pointed out...most of the crew we see accept the problem relatively quickly. Saru was the only one who had a particularly negative reaction, and it was justified within the narrative - he's unprepared to be Captain and thrust into the role when needing to rescue their actual Captain, he's very clearly traumatised by the events of the first 2 episodes and the idea of losing another Captain (much like the probable spies story) is extremely distressing, so he prioritises. He also has a lot of baggage with Michael for good reason. As to the spore scientist...what? Michael brings him the problem, he takes the drive offline and is working on the alternative navigator options, he gets given a direct order by his acting Captain to bring the drive back online and accepts that order. The doctor is his husband/boyfriend (not sure which but they feel long term/married) so all of the interactions between them that are snarky are in that context, and he listens to his husbands arguments about the tardigrade and then risks his life testing the alternative. You're welcome to like what you like, and dislike who you dislike, but I do like and care about all of these characters except Lorca.

I also don't feel like it retconned Michaels arrival...at all. That whole conversation played out like he had done exactly what we saw in ep3 - he's grabbed Michael and suspended her sentence to work in his crew. Once she agreed, he processed the paperwork - he does have the right to do it once she's there, but they would have refused to release her from the prison to send her to him, hence the underhanded nature of it all. They now know, they don't like it but they don't feel they can do anything about it. So they told him off, but let it stand. That doesn't retcon anything.

Regarding the "respectfully" - I hesitated over using that word, what I meant is that its not a joke, its treated as a serious and awful thing that would be traumatising and damaging, Lorca doesn't laugh at him or dismiss him for it but accepts that its a violation. He is portrayed as carrying the harm from this and has a lot of anger towards and hurt from the Klingon Captain, it wasn't (thus far) without emotional consequences for him.

We have such divergent interpretations of the show, if I was seeing it the same as you I'd probably hate it too.

I think you are seeing older Trek through rose coloured glasses if you think this is dramatically worse writing, but that's not a discussion that is going to go anywhere productive. It certainly had some good ideas, and some well written episodes, but there was plenty of godawful writing in the episodes of TNG I watched last year and in the first season and a half of DS9 I've watched the last few weeks. The dialogue especially is just painful without nostalgia covering it over. The acting style is as well, and I say style because I know it was a deliberate choice in the style of the times - not a criticism of the acting itself.

Mmh... can't say that many of the old episodes weren't lackluster, but even in the worst of TNG episodes there was still a message of humanity within. You could see that every character always meant well, even when they had opposing viewpoints. I don't expect every STD-episode to be the next 'Drumhead', but I wish that the show would refrain from painting plain everyone as a petty asshole who bitches at their collegues for no reason.

Your read on the crew dynamics on Discovery is just completely different to mine. I'll grant that they didn't seem to be proactively noticing the distress of the tardigrade until Michael pointed it out, but I can very easily accept that as "not wanting to see it because they need it", but once its pointed out...most of the crew we see accept the problem relatively quickly.

I would hold against that the first words spoken in the episode! By the doctor no less: "We don't know if it experiences stress or pain like we do." And that's why they shouldn't try to find out, but instead keep on torturing it. Only after Michael kept begging him to do some scans he relented. You know that this kind of fallacious thinking isn't far away from "We don't know whether we are the only ones causing global warming, so we should keep pump CO2 into the air" or "We don't know whether gun-control will actually decrease gun-related violence, so we should keep selling arms to everyone and their hamster"? To think that every single person on that ship except Burnham follows that kind of logic is to admit that everyone there is a morally bancrupt idiot. But they had to. Because apparently the only way the writers know to paint Burnham as empathetic is to paint everyone else as ridiculously callous.

Saru was the only one who had a particularly negative reaction, and it was justified within the narrative - he's unprepared to be Captain and thrust into the role when needing to rescue their actual Captain, he's very clearly traumatised by the events of the first 2 episodes and the idea of losing another Captain (much like the probable spies story) is extremely distressing, so he prioritises. He also has a lot of baggage with Michael for good reason.

I agree that the episode painted Saru as totally in over his head (though admittedly, that makes Michael stroking his ego in the end to make him feel better especially glaring, because he never showed a sliver of growth until afterwards and he deserved to be chewed out for his unscientific and mission-endangering attitude). Though I have to say that I found his hostility towards Burnham always very sketchy. Georgiou died on what was essentially a very contrived suicide mission (why the hell didn't they even attempted to explain away why they didn't send a proper boarding party full of redshirts instead of just their two highest-ranking officers?). And yet Saru keeps on harping ambiguously how Michael's 'actions lead to her death'. HOW? How exactly? The show constantly dodges the fucking question. If that is just a delusion of Saru, fine, but then at least they should show Burnham disagreeing with his point of view, but instead she agrees with it. In spite of the fact that her ONLY motivation was to keep her Captain alive, so she should be incredibly hurt by his words. No, we are supposed to believe that Saru is right and Burnham somehow got her Captain killed, even though the show never seems to be sure how exactly she did.

Fine, even all that baseless hostility towards Burnham aside, he messed up badly. He agreed willingly to exploit and torture a sentient lifeform, an ironically since he keeps reminding us that his species used to be treated like cattle, then nearly got the creature killed and therefore the entire ship stranded in enemy space and all of this just because he refused to listen to any of his officers. And then, after all that, when he started to doubt that he did the right thing, Burnham said he did a great job and Georgiou would be proud, and not facepalming about the entire idiocy. The 'growth' came afterwards when he gave Burnham the clearance to jettison the creature as if for a sorry apology. Of course we are supposed to be thinking he was stressed and irrational, but he also showed that he has no basic compassion. Heck, nobody on that freaking ship does. Otherwise they would have dared to show anyone other than Burnham uncomfortable about the whole creature thing.

Heck, even The Orville's second episode did a better job showing an inexperienced commander growing into the job. Because she was allowed to grow...

As to the spore scientist...what? Michael brings him the problem, he takes the drive offline and is working on the alternative navigator options, he gets given a direct order by his acting Captain to bring the drive back online and accepts that order. The doctor is his husband/boyfriend (not sure which but they feel long term/married) so all of the interactions between them that are snarky are in that context, and he listens to his husbands arguments about the tardigrade and then risks his life testing the alternative.

That's not what happened. Let's take a detailed look at the actual dialogue, after the part in which Burnham needed to stroke his ego:

Medic Guy: "Burnham is worried about the physical effects that Discovery's jumps are having on the tardigrade. I have done my own evaluations and I must concur. Scans of (technobabble) indicate (technobabble that make clear it's dying)"

Burnham: "We need to find a workaround. Making ripper the critical component for the S-drive is unsustainable. For the creature and your invention."

Medic Guy: "We could loose them both. And with them, every chance of saving Captain Lorca."

Spore Science Guy: "Aren't there actual people on this ship that require your attention, doctor?" read: Why did you dare bring this obvious thing up to me?

Medic Guy: "Actually the CMO needs my help with (some bad excuse)." read: See, Burnham, he is an asshole who won't listen.

Spore Science Guy (seething with anger): "To be clear: The tardigrade was your contribution. I never intended to utilize a living creature as a navigation tool." read: Fine, you could be right, but I won't back down before making it clear this all your fault, because I'm a petty asshole who refused to see this obvious thing.

Burnham: "I didn't either."

(continue bicking about whose fault it is, until Spore Science Guy demands that Burnham fixes this).

So yes, he relented. But only after throwing a tantrum about how dared to make him see reason. I don't know how you see this, but this is not the sign of a sympathetic character at all. He doesn't even come around as quirky and self-centered, just as petty. And he's more angry about being corrected than about the agony of the creature he's been blissfully torturing over the last month.

Speaking of his relationship status Maybe that we should see his dismissive attitude towards Medic Guy as snarky, but it doesn't change the fact that in both scenes the two had together before they showed that they are a couple he was incredibly dismissive of everything he said. Medic Guy was obviously flirting on sickbay in the episode before, so I somewhat expected this to evolve into bellingerent sexual tension over the course of the show, but it remained by bellingerent only the entire time and now we are supposed to believe that those two were already living together? What? Is that supposed to be a healthy relationship in which one half always dismisses everything the other one is saying?

I also don't feel like it retconned Michaels arrival...at all. That whole conversation played out like he had done exactly what we saw in ep3 - he's grabbed Michael and suspended her sentence to work in his crew. Once she agreed, he processed the paperwork - he does have the right to do it once she's there, but they would have refused to release her from the prison to send her to him, hence the underhanded nature of it all. They now know, they don't like it but they don't feel they can do anything about it. So they told him off, but let it stand. That doesn't retcon anything.

They never said that the prison would never send her to him, he actually flat out stated in this episode that Starfleet regulations allow him for some reason to draft everyone he wants regardless of their circumstances.

Also: Why the heck did they frame it as if Captain Sinister killed the other prisoners who boarded the ship? Saru's death thingies rose when he watched them depart, remember? It is quite clear that we were supposed to think that he blatantly murdered Federations citizens just to keep the existence of his ship hidden. Even when apparently everyone in Starfleet and their grandma is whispering about Burnham working there! Everything in episode 3 made it look that the whole transfer was an illegal thing and Burnham even called him out on it in that episode as the reason why he has to recruit her in the first place. But now? Since they seem to disregard all the Section 31 foreshadowing by portraying the entirety of Starfleet as this eager to torture some new sentient lifeform for a tactical advantage? We are supposed to believe that the entire organisation has in a few months of war turned into a bunch of casual criminals? I feel like I have to decide what to retcon. Either the sinister black-ops ship suddenly stopped being a thing or Starfleet has stopped having principles at all.

Regarding the "respectfully" - I hesitated over using that word, what I meant is that its not a joke, its treated as a serious and awful thing that would be traumatising and damaging, Lorca doesn't laugh at him or dismiss him for it but accepts that its a violation. He is portrayed as carrying the harm from this and has a lot of anger towards and hurt from the Klingon Captain, it wasn't (thus far) without emotional consequences for him.

No, it's not laughed off, but we haven't seen any repercussions on him either. In fact during all of Mr. Baby-Face's scenes I couldn't help but wonder how clean and pretty and shaven he looked and how easily he managed to overwhelm members of a physically superior warrior-race in hand to hand combat despite seven months of rape and torture...

... which obviously would indeed make a lot of sense when we just accept that he's a Clingon and that story was just him bullshitting Captain Sinister.

I'm kinda torn.....the line that really did it for me was when Michael brought her concerns to Saru and he said "our captain is missing, you're not seriously suggesting..." and Michael responds "of course not". Why of course not? This would be a highly typical plot of any other series; crew member kidnapped, unethical way of finding them presents itself, crew discuss, don't use it. Never.

I happen to be watching DS9 alongside Discovery, Discovery rang in Star Trek's first 'fuck', 'shit' and 'beat someone to death', meanwhile Jake and Nog traded some Yamak sauce for a bunch of self sealing stem bolts. I do enjoy Discovery but you can see why there's something of a rift amongst the fans. 

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I'm kinda torn.....the line that really did it for me was when Michael brought her concerns to Saru and he said "our captain is missing, you're not seriously suggesting..." and Michael responds "of course not". Why of course not? This would be a highly typical plot of any other series; crew member kidnapped, unethical way of finding them presents itself, crew discuss, don't use it. Never.

I happen to be watching DS9 alongside Discovery, Discovery rang in Star Trek's first 'fuck', 'shit' and 'beat someone to death', meanwhile Jake and Nog traded some Yamak sauce for a bunch of self sealing stem bolts. I do enjoy Discovery but you can see why there's something of a rift amongst the fans. 

That's a bit selective. You could also mention Discovery's lengthy Klingon politics discussions in Klingon which go on for 500 years versus Nog getting horrifically wounded and suffering from severe PTSD which nearly leads to a psychotic breakdown.

I don't think the argument that Discovery is "too dark" holds much water (other than literally it's too dark, you can barely tell WTF is going on in some scenes) compared to DS9 specifically, but also the other shows could go a bit grim on occasion. It does appear clear that Discovery isn't going to go as "light" as any of the other series, at least not yet.

I do wonder if the Klingon War is going to last the whole series or just this season, and then we get back to peaceful exploration. Based on the producers, it sounds like Discovery will partially be about the Federation "earning" its moral place that we see in the original series, so it might be it starts off at war and goes more traditional Trek later on, the opposite direction of DS9.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

As a point of information, self-sealing stem bolts are used in the manufacture of reverse ratcheting router planers. 

Well... shit... there goes my only hope.

Discovery renewed for second season

“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” said Marc DeBevoise, President and Chief Operating Officer, CBS Interactive, referring to the fact that Discovery set new CBS All Access records for subscriber sign-ups in a single day, week and month. “This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second seas

Guess any hope I had that CBS All Access and the trend that it portends would fail spectacularly has gone out the window.

:( 

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really wish they'd put it on regular TV.

Same.  I was hoping it would fail to drive subscriptions and they'd put it on the air where it belongs.

Archived