Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

On 31/10/2017 at 0:01 AM, The Knight of Flours said:

Yes - I thought he was too powerful and said 'Q-like' in another forum

Yeah he really had things ass backwards as I imagine the technology he used to find about the spore technology was as/more useful to the klingons. I'm always annoyed when such powerful tech is introduced as it begs the question of why it won't be used again. There should have been some limit to it other than "it's expensive".

On 04/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, Werthead said:

The developer of a 2014 webgame called Tardigrades is a bit annoyed with Star Trek: Discovery. I'm not surprised. I find the idea of two projects coming up with using giant mutant tardigrades for FTL travel independently to be slim, but some of the additional similarities with the characters is bizarre.

I'm sure the guy just used time-travel to steal the idea from the Discovery writers. But that does look like something he should enquite about legally. At least give the guy a free subscription to CBS all access.

The new episode was very trek-like for better or worse. Saru is starting to feel like a liability but his comments at the end had me empathising with him. I'm just not sure he's cut out for a crew with a mission like Discoveries though - he really should be on a peaceful research vessel.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

The new episode was very trek-like for better or worse. Saru is starting to feel like a liability but his comments at the end had me empathising with him. I'm just not sure he's cut out for a crew with a mission like Discoveries though - he really should be on a peaceful research vessel.

It begs the question why did Lorca or all people select Saru as first officer?  Did he just want someone that he thought he could intimidate into being quiet, since he's a prey species, about anything sketchy going on in Discovery?

37 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It begs the question why did Lorca or all people select Saru as first officer?  Did he just want someone that he thought he could intimidate into being quiet, since he's a prey species, about anything sketchy going on in Discovery?

that's a really good point - what possibly use does Lorca see in him? It's not like he's brought much to the table even from a scientific POV, tardi-man seems to cover most of that and Burnham does most of the alien stuff. Even if there was a use for him - you wouldn't have him as a second in command. Maybe it's more that he had to take Saru on as a pre-requisite from starfleet. But that's also tenuous as it seems the Discovery is currently a war ship not a science vessel. The crew who aren't battle ready should really be relegated to research only activities in a time of war.

In any way they really need to give Saru an opportunity to be useful because so far he just seems to be heavy handed whenever in a position of power. It's not even like his fear detectors can sense klingon/mirror universe spies at the moment.

I thought it was funny

how the Doctor would only be negligent if he wasn't aware of all the weird shit happening to tardi-man. Because you wouldn't be negligent for keeping a close eye on a guy who injected himself with alien DNA and now communes with intergalactic spores.

And it's meant to be ironic whenever Tilly tells us she's good with people? Because she doesn't really seem to be.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

And it's meant to be ironic whenever Tilly tells us she's good with people? Because she doesn't really seem to be.

I don't think she's bad with people - she's winsome and friendly, and that counts for a lot. Stamets wasn't any the worse for having spoken to her, and at least he admitted what was happening. But she might need a dose of character development and experience before she could be said to be actively good with people. 

Though since the time-confused Stamets called her Captain, it looks as if both those things are coming her way. Unless she ends up as Captain via dead men's shoes. 

9 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I don't think she's bad with people - she's winsome and friendly, and that counts for a lot. Stamets wasn't any the worse for having spoken to her, and at least he admitted what was happening. But she might need a dose of character development and experience before she could be said to be actively good with people. 

Though since the time-confused Stamets called her Captain, it looks as if both those things are coming her way. Unless she ends up as Captain via dead men's shoes. 

I'm thinking it more likely she's a captain in the mirror universe. That way the actress gets to have fun by being evil and powerful every now and then. It's also a trek trope. Maybe she'll have a goatee.

She does have an awkward charm about her. As a rule people, people don't need to point out how good they are with people - they just are. I still like to think of her as being mildly autistic but it seems less so as the show's progressed.

I really didn't rate that last episode. It tried to do too much but none of it ended up coming off. What's L'Rell's plan? It's some secret plan, if we're going on the last episode we saw Voq in ...... no wait, she's sucking up to Kol now .... OK now she's talking about defecting ..... nope, wait, the admiral's dead. OK she's back to hating Kol. Meanwhile, the Pahvans might be a threat, they've brainwashed Saru, and now they can teleport people, or something. Oh and they're not a threat, Saru was just unafraid for the first time (doesn't even nearly explain his behaviour, which will no doubt come with zero repercussions next week). So I guess the Pahvans are just super smart ... no wait, they're idiots, they just invited the Klingons to the party.

I really wish they just used a different actor for Voq if he is indeed a spy, it's tainting everything about the show. I don't particular care about his romance with Burnham, and the Klingon stuff is just spinning its wheels until the reveal comes. I think the show started off strongly but it feels like it's lost its way a bit.

On 07/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, Werthead said:

The actors get asked about that Voq/Tyler theory. It doesn't go well.

Isaacs is a bit of a pro deflecting an answer. They really should have prepped the other cast members better - especially Latif.

I'm still hoping there's going to be more to it

Tyler isn't aware he's Voq and is actually a sleeper agent but once awakened Voq decides to keep the Tyler persona, realising he's much happier as a human

. Unfortunately that interview suggests things are simply what they seem.

Warning (just in case): this is going to be spoiler-heavy.

Really liked that episode 8. It was well written enough to advance the main story and still provide its own small intriguing sub-plots. It gave me everything I could expect from a Star Trek episode. A small space battle (which was lost, too), exploration of an alien planet with a previously unknown (but actually rather advanced) civilization, some decent character development (Saru), a Klingon talking about honor (finally!), and quite a few plot twists.
On that last point: I didn't find any logical fault with the episode (and I tend to hate those).
L'Rell's plan was always to flee and try to get on board Discovery, and we know why that is (well, we've guessed), she simply did her best to improvise and still ended up being outwitted by Kol ; the reason why it seemed a bit contrived was because she was in a very bad situation to begin with and was only doing her best, which was never going to be that good anyway. If you think about it, she was almost in as much trouble as the admiral at the start of the episode so the outcome was in fact rather logical. In other words, we saw a character struggle after having been dealt a very bad hand, although the viewer's natural empathy for the admiral kind of eclipsed that.
And once you get that Saru's behavior was actually his own, the Pahvans' actions are pretty coherent ; obviously they will turn out to be significantly more powerful than they seem to be (I'm reminded of a similar Stargate episode or two), which is why they don't fear the Klingons ; they might very well end up allying with the Federation nonetheless (after they realize that the Klingons can't be reasoned with), although I doubt they will survive the war.
The romance was cheesy, but we know why it has to be there. I just think it would have been much much better if Tyler had fallen for Tilly and not Burnham. It would have given Tilly a more interesting role.
I liked the fact she seems to be captain in the future or in the mirror universe though. Nice touch there imo.

I didn't like episode 7 much. It started poorly (that party was way too 21st century for me) and then had a decent development but the ending felt rushed, and I didn't like the final touch of humor.
Imho they should have stuck to a rather dark tone for the first season and kept such light touches for further down the road, once the Klingons have been delt with. Once again I got the feeling that the writers were trying to do everything in this first season and sometimes they don't reach a good balance between all the aspects of Trekdom.

A decent mid season finale. It does open the possibility of doing something different with the second half of the series. Continuity is getting a bit of a headache though

so klingon cloaking devices have been rendered neutral

. And the pedantic part of me can't help but think

couldn't you have just placed a few bombs on the klingon ship you teleported on board and then salvage the cloaking device? And why do the transmitters have to shout out in engish and make really loud "blippity bleep" sounds?

And they are still teasing the "big twist" with hints that are just laughable now. Why string it out further?

But I'm enjoying the show overall. It's got just enough nostalgia mixed in with "Arrow" level mindless entertainment to keep me hooked. And I have to admit I enjoy watching something in weekly doses rather than the often crippling time-management exercises required to binge watch shows.

Ah, I was wondering why no one was commenting on the finale.

I liked it as well overall. It wasn't exactly what I expected, which made it even more enjoyable.

I wasn't a huge fan of the

duel between Burnham and Kol though. It felt un-trekky somehow.

I laughed at the fact that they pulled a Voyager on us. But it does open the possibility of having a more Trekky-like show (with actual space exploration).

The references to "other dimensions" seemed to be a hint at the mirror universe.

I was surprised by the idea of giving Lorca a medal. It felt wrong somehow, especially with the admiral being safely back to the Federation. I even assumed they were setting a trap for him (give him a medal and then strip him of his command). But maybe this is the beginning of the tendency of the Federation to reward mutineers (like Kirk a bit later), which allows Burnham's redemption... Possibly to become a captain at the end of the series... Of the Saratoga perhaps?

16 minutes ago, red snow said:

Reveal hidden contents

Only if

Discovery makes it home with the data... And assuming the Klingons don't improve their technology further down the line. Also, it's possible that the war shifts in favor of the Federation without the data from Discovery after Kol's death. And finally there's always the possibility of a Treaty of Algeron-like clause in a peace treaty with the Klingons.

16 minutes ago, red snow said:

Reveal hidden contents

couldn't you have just placed a few bombs on the klingon ship you teleported on board and then salvage the cloaking device? And why do the transmitters have to shout out in engish and make really loud "blippity bleep" sounds?

Easier said than done. Plus I think the episode actually solved the continuity problem linked to the spore drive by explaining why it will never be used on a massive scale by the Federation.

Talking about which, am I alone in thinking that Stanets going to become a Q-like entity now?

I'm not gonna bother quoting cause with the spoiler tags it's gets to be a bit much.

I don't think they were really going to give Lorca a medal. I don't think he thought so either. I think the Admiral (Cornwell?) voiced her concerns to starfleet command and they wanted to make sure he'd come back so they could relieve him of command. 

I'm almost certain the Federation already has the data on seeing through the "invisibility screens." The Vulcan Admiral says something about distributing the data among the fleet while talking to Lorca doesn't he? I assume the explanation for the canon problems is just that the Klingons got better cloaking devices down the line.

I think the conversation between Lorca and Stamets about the spore drive potentially bringing them to other universes was probably the best evidence yet that Lorca is from the (or a, since there are infinite universes) mirror universe. That's probably the whole reason he wanted command of Discovery, to try to use it to get home. I mean why would the captain be doing that research himself and keep it from the head of the project / human steering wheel? Stamets was right to be shocked that Lorca had such an interest in the science of the drive. 

So then either when Lorca realizes he's not heading home to get a medal, or that Stamets is retiring after "one last jump" (seriously could they have built up anymore dread for his character by repeating that?) he decides to mess with the coordinates and they end up in the (or at least a) mirror universe. Hence Saru not being able to tell where they are, and the Klingon debris (in the mirror universe the Terran Empire conquered the Klingons at some point.)

I wonder if it'll turn out he knows/knew alt-Burnham and hence his fascination and over-protection of her. 

That's a fun theory about Lorca knowing Burnham from an alt world. Maybe he knew the whole crew in some way? Maybe there's a world where the lanky alien is actually useful.

I think the ending would have been stronger if they had told us where they were instead of it maybe just been a space dump.

Also, with different dimensions, could they feasibly visit the movie-verse?

I think it's safer just to ignore universal translators and just say they're everywhere, in the com badges or in the walls. Now Burnhan has specifically brought one along, it means L'Rell must've gone to the trouble of learning English for her conversation with the Admiral. Strange for a race they've had so little contact with...

I really wish they'd used a different actor for Voq, because it has no tension anymore. We're all just sitting waiting for the reveal. At least now we know he doesn't know he's Voq as we saw his PTSD flashbacks. Weird that his kiss with Burnham snapped him out of it, maybe being re-Voq-ed won't be that straight forward?  I guess they're in the mirror universe, agreed that they should have just said (maybe a bit of the floating debris could've had an ISS plate).

I may do a rewatch of this half to see how it sits with me, it was a good bunch of episodes but not without issues.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

That's a fun theory about Lorca knowing Burnham from an alt world. Maybe he knew the whole crew in some way? Maybe there's a world where the lanky alien is actually useful.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the ending would have been stronger if they had told us where they were instead of it maybe just been a space dump.

Also, with different dimensions, could they feasibly visit the movie-verse?

You mean the movie verse where the Klingons look like Klingons? And all is right in the universe?

In all honesty I liked the season a lot more than I thought I would have though. I hope the second half keeps it up.

18 hours ago, red snow said:

A decent mid season finale. It does open the possibility of doing something different with the second half of the series. Continuity is getting a bit of a headache though

Reveal hidden contents

. And the pedantic part of me can't help but think

Reveal hidden contents

And they are still teasing the "big twist" with hints that are just laughable now. Why string it out further?

But I'm enjoying the show overall. It's got just enough nostalgia mixed in with "Arrow" level mindless entertainment to keep me hooked. And I have to admit I enjoy watching something in weekly doses rather than the often crippling time-management exercises required to binge watch shows.

TV is meant to be watched weekly, marathoning or watching a show in a two day long binge kind of ruins it.

9 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Weird that his kiss with Burnham snapped him out of it, maybe being re-Voq-ed won't be that straight forward? 

TV trope I guess. I wasn't sure whether they'd had sex or not when she was lying on the sofa. The fact he hasn't turned evil suggests they didn't :P

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It's certainly the best first season of a Star Trek show I've ever seen. Far from perfect, but solid. 

That's a very valid point. Now if i can continue the improving trajectory of the others we could be in for a treat. I'm still not sure whether the show has fully settled into a groove given Fuller set it up then left.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

TV is meant to be watched weekly, marathoning or watching a show in a two day long binge kind of ruins it.

Some of my favourite shows of late are the ones where there's time to discuss and watch episodes at the same time as others. eg westworld. It doesn't save the walking dead though.

• 1 month later...

Archived