Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

19 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Anyone consider the show will do all remaining seasons in the Mirror Universe?  Like Voyager, the last episode finally returning home.  I hope not, but I can see them choosing that to free them from continuity.

If they did I think they'd go for mirror universes plural. 

We really need a word for when one sapient species eats another.  It's not cannibalism, but it's gross.  "Anthropophagite" means cannibal, so I suppose the word anthropophagia mean cannibalism.  Perhaps sapiophagia and sapiophagite are the words I'm looking for.

The sensitivity to light for all Mirror Universe humans is a pretty stupid ret-con.  It would have been so easy to just say Lorca saved the Emperor from an assassination attempt decades ago, making just both of them and whoever else might have been there sensitive to light in the aftermath of some sort of flash grenade, motivating a reason why Georgiou trusted him in the past.

In contrast to Gertrude it's Michael that carries the show for me. I guess it fits that Im also really enjoying the show - if the main character is doing it for you, the overall experience is better.

I'm also encouraged that all the predicted twists are already revealed which means that while they did want them to be twists, they aren't the climax of the plot and they won't weaken the experience on rewatching. Michael is setting herself up for betrayal if she's falling for "your Georguiou was honorable, you have no reason to think I'd be different". I'd think there was a decent chance she wasn't buying that, but she's distracted by the realisation about Lorca now.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm still a bit bemused why people are ragging on CBS for just doing the exact same thing that Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and every premium cable channel since forever has done and CBS has made the decision they want to have their own slice of the pie rather than devolving into a content-provider for everyone else.

For me, part of it is that I find CBS's UI pretty god-awful. Their website for regular network shows is a mess. The app I used at one point with my free-trial (before Discovery) and I found it ungainly. Just not a fan of their on-line presence. If you want to compete with the big boys, you gotta do it right. That and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two tiers? You get to pay for it AND still get commercials, or you can pay more and not. What? That's kinda bullshit.

30 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

For me, part of it is that I find CBS's UI pretty god-awful. Their website for regular network shows is a mess. The app I used at one point with my free-trial (before Discovery) and I found it ungainly. Just not a fan of their on-line presence. If you want to compete with the big boys, you gotta do it right. That and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two tiers? You get to pay for it AND still get commercials, or you can pay more and not. What? That's kinda bullshit.

You can get CBS all access through Amazon now. I'd assume it uses the amazon prime video UI.

Yeah, that's actually how I access it, but first impressions are hard to shake. They've always had a shit on-line experience and just because they are piggy-backing off another service doesn't give them brownie points.

13 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I haven't had any issues with All Access honestly, just the device I watch it on. I think HULU does the same thing with their service. After Discovery is done I'm not keeping All Access. But I like the fact that I can get it through Amazon. I hated the fact that I had to sign up for another service to watch this the honest way.

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm still a bit bemused why people are ragging on CBS for just doing the exact same thing that Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and every premium cable channel since forever has done and CBS has made the decision they want to have their own slice of the pie rather than devolving into a content-provider for everyone else. It's frustrating if you've already committed to x number of services to pay for, but in the same way it's frustrating that I can't afford Amazon Prime at the moment so I haven't seen American Gods, the second season of The Man in the High Castle and The Tick, all of which I really want to see. I'll get round to them eventually.

What I find more annoying with these shows is that the old physical media release model, where you'd get the show the week after the final episode airs, has gone out the window (at least American Gods is out on Blu-Ray, thanks to Starz handling that in the UK, not Amazon) and you don't get the physical media release until close to 2 years later, which is absurd. Discovery looks like it's heading in that direction, with no physical media release currently listed at all.

Except it's not the same thing for the consumer. I already have CBS as part of my cable package. I would happily sign up for CBS All Access if I could go to my cable provider and ask them to cut out CBS from my lineup and give me a $6 discount. But they would just laugh in my face, and I would end up paying double for CBS.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

So is it safe to assume that the former security chief and some others on the ship came with Lorca?

Unlikely - he was supposed to be the only survivor of his previous ship, wasn't he? I'm assuming that's when he swapped with the original Lorca.

So is it safe to assume that the former security chief and some others on the ship came with Lorca?

Have you seen the trailer for next week's episode?

Lorca frees Mirror 

BSG Tory from what I presume is the brig on the palace ship and they lead a mutiny. So, nope.

On 22/01/2018 at 4:43 PM, RumHam said:

So that's two big plot twists that were predicted well ahead of time. I wonder if twist based tv will eventually fall out of favor. Though I guess most of the audience is surprised by them still. 

Burnham eating mirror Saru was pretty great though. I'm really looking forward to the look on his face when he finds out. 

It shows how twists can be fun even when you see them coming a mile off and so far I don't think they've cheated with any of them - unlike Westworld where some of the editing was at a point where if it wasn't cheating it was resulting in me not trusting anything I saw.

Since the mirrorverse the show has been consistently fun and I'm overlooking the silly moments  (Lorca's instant recovery from the agoniser every time, anonymous emperor suddenly being recognised and not anonymous, assuming people from each universe share characteristics, etc).

I also thought the

final scene with ghost Dr and stamets was genuinely touching to the point it seemed a real shame that this was the first time I fully bought their relationship.

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

Lorca's instant recovery from the agoniser every time

I don't think that was an error. I assumed he injected himself with that pain suppressor before going to the Shenzou, since he knew what would be coming. The anonymous emperor thing was really weird. I also love how Burnham lived among the mirror people for days and doesn't notice the light sensitivity thing until the most dramatic moment.

On your spoiler (not sure why spoilering just that but going to follow lol) -

Spoiler

I'd bought their relationship all along, but I thought that the tenderness had to be glimpsed as implicit behind the kind of bickering that we did see. Would have loved more of it to be explicitly shown like this all the same and I'm OK with whatever method they use to bring him back if they give us more of it.

I think I've got a different take on Paul to many though. I feel like one of the more obvious takes on his character is the "guy who is so smart that he gets to be an asshole to people around him" like a number of other characters that are popular at the moment, but I don't think this is actually right. He's absolutely a cranky asshole at the start of the show, but the viewers perspective is that of Michael and to a lesser extent Tilly - we don't see his behaviour as appropriate or OK, he is being an asshole and they judge it as such. And there are narrative reasons for him being cranky - he is a researcher who has seen his research on fungi (I'll note that's an area you don't exactly expect to touch on military applications when you go into it) hijacked by the military and he's not in control of it anymore. He's deeply bothered by that and it comes out through being unpleasant to everyone around him.

Yes he's clearly always been not the most social person - his story of how he and Hugh got together revealed this as well, but it also revealed that there was a direct honesty there which stood out to Hugh and was what drew him to Paul. It's a good chunk of why that relationship did land for me, that felt real and thoroughly human.

When he made the decision that he would only do one more jump it seemed to unburden him and that was when I really saw his love coming through as he told Hugh he'd take him to the Opera etc and kissed him before making the jump - that all choked me up big time as well (not least because you could see the warning signs flashing).

My phone decided to bring a Kotaku review of the latest episode to my attention wherein the reviewer has decided its a good time to rage quit the show and that the showrunners clearly only know how to do twists and not explore themes - I feel like they're watching a different show as I much prefer this style of twists as I articulated earlier.

I like the twists in Discovery because they are not necessarily the twists that keep the audience surprised, but rather twists that throw the characters of their tracks in the ways they need to react to changed knowledge of their environment.

On 23/01/2018 at 0:31 AM, karaddin said:

In contrast to Gertrude it's Michael that carries the show for me. I guess it fits that Im also really enjoying the show - if the main character is doing it for you, the overall experience is better.

I'm also encouraged that all the predicted twists are already revealed which means that while they did want them to be twists, they aren't the climax of the plot and they won't weaken the experience on rewatching. Michael is setting herself up for betrayal if she's falling for "your Georguiou was honorable, you have no reason to think I'd be different". I'd think there was a decent chance she wasn't buying that, but she's distracted by the realisation about Lorca now.

This seems to be a perfect time for the Vulcan training of Michael to come to the forefront again. Harnessing emotions and use a logical approach to take control.

5 hours ago, Seli said:

I like the twists in Discovery because they are not necessarily the twists that keep the audience surprised, but rather twists that throw the characters of their tracks in the ways they need to react to changed knowledge of their environment.

This seems to be a perfect time for the Vulcan training of Michael to come to the forefront again. Harnessing emotions and use a logical approach to take control.

She's been doing pretty well so far. Most people would crumble due to only one of the several awful things/revelations that she has been faced with since she got into the Mirror Universe. 

Archived