Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Yeah there's no ambiguity on where Tyler went - the Mokai ship beamed him out with L'Rell.

I think that choice suggests she did legitimately kill Voq as the purely Klingon entity - if he was still buried and going to come back then she would have wanted him as a sleeper agent still.

That or she wanted to try and turn him back to Voq? She seemed to be genuinely in love with him so maybe she felt like she had what she needed?

I think someone else mentioned how L'Rell was one of the few klingons who could emote through the make-up. I guess we haven't seen the last of her. Not entirely sure how threatening to blow up the klingon homeworld (while on it?) will last as a long-term power play but maybe by then she'll have won their respect.

Yeah, particularly in that last episode. Him interacting with humans has him crushed by guilt, then he gets to go clown around with Klingons and he gets to forget it for a moment and comes alive again. It was really well acted.

@red snow fair point on her maybe wanting to try turn him back, I guess I just meant the sleeper agent plot should be dead now.

3 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Enjoyed this season, though I felt the ending of this episode was weak.

Yeah. I think a big part of the problem was the lack of antagonists - L'Rell saves the Federation by giving a speech to a bunch of extras, while a Klingon fleet with nobody we know aboard approaches Earth but doesn't get too close.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought spock was the only one of the TOS who was also in the pilot.

Well, Majel Barrett played Number One in the pilot and then in a blonde wig was Nurse Chapel in TOS, but yeah, Spock is the only character who is in both.

20 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Massive props, btw, to Shazad Latif for his performance as Voq/Tyler. He's really good at the Klingon stuff, and those last episodes as Tyler broke my freakin' heart.

Far better than when he's stuck with all the klingon make-up on. I know we never saw Voq gambling but he always came off as a bit square. Whatever they did to Voq I think improved him.

17 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Enjoyed this season, though I felt the ending of this episode was weak. I hope the emperor returns in season 2.

I did like how the emperor was "ah, fuck it - I'll take my freedom. Been there done that destroying kronos anyhow"

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Far better than when he's stuck with all the klingon make-up on. I know we never saw Voq gambling but he always came off as a bit square. Whatever they did to Voq I think improved him.

I did like how the emperor was "ah, fuck it - I'll take my freedom. Been there done that destroying kronos anyhow"

I didn't read it that way. I took it more as "Ugh, she's got me, I never should have told her I cared about her".

I watched the finale. I thought it was an appropriately meh ending to what turned into a very meh season. That's too bad, because the first half of the season showed a lot of promise that the second half either failed to live up to or actively sabotaged. I don't say this as a Trekkie; I've watched something like three Star Trek episodes total in my life, a couple of the Abrams movies, plus that one where Kirk and Spock go back in time to save the whales. All I was hoping for was an enjoyable, fun, not too dumb sci-fi show with characters I could care about. Well, there are a few characters I enjoy (Saru, Tilly, and the new Voq-Ash is growing on me a little). And there have been some fun moments and episodes, particularly in the first half of the season, and even the very beginning of the parallel universe plotline before it got too ridiculous. 

But I still don't understand what this show wanted to be. It felt like we were racing from plot twist to plot twist without any overall coherence. Tyler is Voq! But that'll get erased in a couple episodes. The most interesting character, Lorca is secretly from the parallel universe and is a one dimensional mustache twirler! Now he's dead and nobody cares. Now we have to save the space travel network. Now we're back and the Klingons have almost won the war! Now we have A MORAL CHOICE TO MAKE about genocide for some reason! Now the war is over because Burnham gave a klingon who hates humans a bomb that can blow up her planet (wtf??? on this last one). And there were few characters to enjoy or latch on to. In the final episode, when the crew mutinied, I couldn't care less; aside from Saru and Tilly, have any of these characters gotten more than a line an episode? Usually "yes captain,"

I'm really not a fan of how the show panned out, and particularly the Lorca twist and its fallout. I'll probably watch the beginning of season 2, because it did feel like this show had promise at one point. I hope it can finally live up to that.

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wonder what happened to the Kelpians in the prime universe. It must've been bad as it seems like there are actually more of them in the universe where they are food.

They are the Madagascan Turtles of space. 

23 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

I didn't read it that way. I took it more as "Ugh, she's got me, I never should have told her I cared about her".

There was probably a decent mix of that in her thought process too.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

They are the Madagascan Turtles of space. 

Season 2's arc will be Burnham going cold turkey on Kelpian flesh and her ongoing battle not to eat Saru.

Caligula makes some good points about the shows flaws but for me it was a noble attempt at merging episodic with the current obsession for arcs. Granted the second half was essentially 2 arcs over several episodes but it was enough to keep me watching week in, week out. I'd say it's taken up that place of junk tv that the arrowverse used to have. Hopefully it can sustain my interest for more seasons than the arrowverse managed though.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

There was probably a decent mix of that in her thought process too.

Season 2's arc will be Burnham going cold turkey on Kelpian flesh and her ongoing battle not to eat Saru.

Caligula makes some good points about the shows flaws but for me it was a noble attempt at merging episodic with the current obsession for arcs. Granted the second half was essentially 2 arcs over several episodes but it was enough to keep me watching week in, week out. I'd say it's taken up that place of junk tv that the arrowverse used to have. Hopefully it can sustain my interest for more seasons than the arrowverse managed though.

I think in some ways the show was more successful when it went for the episodic route than the heavy serialized format of the last third of the season. This is surprising for me, because I usually can't get invested in episodic TV and love arcs. Not every episode worked, of course, but the longer plotlines (klingon war and the Voq stuff, alternate universe shenanigans) were duds for me, while some of the individual episodes were fun, junk TV Sci-Fi, as you say. They also tended to be the best for character development, since the arcs often forced the writers to just make the characters do whatever the plot demanded.

So I know, even as a non-Trekkie, that the Enterprise is Kirk's ship. But is there any particular reason I should care about the season cliffhanger, aside from fan service? It felt like a very weird closing scene.

4 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

So I know, even as a non-Trekkie, that the Enterprise is Kirk's ship. But is there any particular reason I should care about the season cliffhanger, aside from fan service? It felt like a very weird closing scene.

Nope, I don't think there's any other reason. But Kirk should not be there, Pike is captain at this time. Spock may be there, though, so we could get more Vulcan family stuff for Michael.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Nope, I don't think there's any other reason. But Kirk should not be there, Pike is captain at this time. Spock may be there, though, so we could get more Vulcan family stuff for Michael.

I think it's going to be Pike as well.

5 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I think in some ways the show was more successful when it went for the episodic route than the heavy serialized format of the last third of the season. This is surprising for me, because I usually can't get invested in episodic TV and love arcs. Not every episode worked, of course, but the longer plotlines (klingon war and the Voq stuff, alternate universe shenanigans) were duds for me, while some of the individual episodes were fun, junk TV Sci-Fi, as you say. They also tended to be the best for character development, since the arcs often forced the writers to just make the characters do whatever the plot demanded.

I think the best single episode was the groundhog day style one. That said i thought the weakest was probably the angry saru on that crystal planet.

I much preferred Saru's treatment in the last few episodes. He went from being a liability in pretty much everything (moreso the higher his authority) to being pretty damn functional.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think it's going to be Pike as well.

I think the best single episode was the groundhog day style one. That said i thought the weakest was probably the angry saru on that crystal planet.

I much preferred Saru's treatment in the last few episodes. He went from being a liability in pretty much everything (moreso the higher his authority) to being pretty damn functional.

I too enjoyed the time loop episode. Also the one where Stamets decides that he will be driving the spore drive instead of the animal, which then is freed by Michael.

I liked the episode with the crystal planet, too. That was the most Trek episode of the entire season - crewman succumbs to indigenous life influence, but then manages to become free of it.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I liked the episode with the crystal planet, too. That was the most Trek episode of the entire season - crewman succumbs to indigenous life influence, but then manages to become free of it.

While very Trekish it just seemed to further undermine Saru who basically loses his shit and didn't redeem himself but was rescued from trying to kill Ash and Michael (as I recall?). After his indecisive attempt at being captain it just felt like they were going out of their way to make him a liability. Fortunately, he improved throughout the rest of the season and actually seemed pretty capable as interim captain in the end.

On 15.2.2018. at 4:32 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

I watched the finale. I thought it was an appropriately meh ending to what turned into a very meh season. That's too bad, because the first half of the season showed a lot of promise that the second half either failed to live up to or actively sabotaged. I don't say this as a Trekkie; I've watched something like three Star Trek episodes total in my life, a couple of the Abrams movies, plus that one where Kirk and Spock go back in time to save the whales. All I was hoping for was an enjoyable, fun, not too dumb sci-fi show with characters I could care about. Well, there are a few characters I enjoy (Saru, Tilly, and the new Voq-Ash is growing on me a little). And there have been some fun moments and episodes, particularly in the first half of the season, and even the very beginning of the parallel universe plotline before it got too ridiculous. 

But I still don't understand what this show wanted to be. It felt like we were racing from plot twist to plot twist without any overall coherence. Tyler is Voq! But that'll get erased in a couple episodes. The most interesting character, Lorca is secretly from the parallel universe and is a one dimensional mustache twirler! Now he's dead and nobody cares. Now we have to save the space travel network. Now we're back and the Klingons have almost won the war! Now we have A MORAL CHOICE TO MAKE about genocide for some reason! Now the war is over because Burnham gave a klingon who hates humans a bomb that can blow up her planet (wtf??? on this last one). And there were few characters to enjoy or latch on to. In the final episode, when the crew mutinied, I couldn't care less; aside from Saru and Tilly, have any of these characters gotten more than a line an episode? Usually "yes captain,"

I'm really not a fan of how the show panned out, and particularly the Lorca twist and its fallout. I'll probably watch the beginning of season 2, because it did feel like this show had promise at one point. I hope it can finally live up to that.

Well, I'm a sort of a Trekkie (in a sense that I've seen all the shows and movies and even read a couple of Trek books and comics - but not in the sense that Trek is "OMG my favourite franchise ever" - because it's not; only Deep Space Nine is one of my favourite shows, though Spock is one of my favourite characters), and I completely agree with that assessment. I really wanted to like this show - all the more so because it was a target of racists/alt right idiots on YouTube since its first trailer - but it has turned out pretty meh. I was hoping it would be DS9 for the 2010s, but it indeed turned out to be more like Arrowverse. (Maybe from now on I will watch it the same way I watch Arrowverse: as background noise/mild distraction while I work. I even managed to get through Arrow season 4, Inhumans and The Walking Dead season 7 that way.)

I wonder how different it would have turned out if Bryan Fuller had stayed?

I also wanted to like this show because I'm sick and tired of people going "The Orville is better" and "The Orville is more genuinely Trek" - which doesn't say anything to me anyway: there's a lot of the Trek franchise that is great, but there's also a lot of the Trek franchise that is crap. And whatever people may say, I just don't want to give a chance to a show that is 1) starring Seth MacFarlaine (in itself enough to turn me off from anything) and 2) has Brannon Braga in its staff. (Explanation for non-Trekkies: Braga was one of the major Trek showrunners/writers, and, with Rick Berman, was responsible for most of Voyager, the first two seasons of Enterprise and the awful series finale of the latter being bland, safe, repetitive TV ranging from meh to terrible. Seeing his name makes me think "I bet it's very Trek-like...but in a bad way.")

Archived