Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

Just a heads up, if you start the CBS All Access one month trial now you'll be able to (eventually) watch the whole first season. The finale airs 2/11. 

Edit: Never mind apparently they stopped the one month trials last week. Presumably to avoid this exact situation. 

Another good episode. Great to see Tilly stepping up more, the Mirror Voq being a great multicultural leader and the identity of the Emperor is no surprise.

Interesting to see what's going on with Stamets. I now have this image about thousands of Stamets gathering for a meeting and basically turning into the Council of Ricks.

It's turning out to be really predictable but fun. I like how they keep finding new ways to use the spores to solve EVERY problem with continually crazy pseudoscience.

Although i was a bit sad when I was playing "spot the alien" and went "vulcan", "Andorran", (pause) "oh I forgot - Klingon". That's when I realised there's a lot to be said for having an iconic look.

It's almost endearing or otherwise perplexing that the terrans can be so bigoted towards aliens but seem to be pretty good as far as gender and race tolerance towards other humans. Guess those differences seem small when you have aliens to hate. A bit like how the klingons seem pretty co-operative when they have a superior force to fight.

5 hours ago, Maltaran said:

It seems the only theory this episode didn’t confirm was if Lorca is from the Mirror Universe.

Sarek turning up surprised me for a second, until I noticed the beard :)

If you look closely he has a small smirk on his face at the end when the Emperor is grilling Michael - after the bow. I'm pretty much ready to accept it, but I'm not sure mirror Lorca or mirror Michael are indeed dead and think the whole "Lorca is mirror Lorca" may be more involved than the simple reveal sounds when you talk about the theory.

That ending as a whole was fantastic. I expected that reveal but the way it was done with the massive nuke? bombardment shooting past their ship and then the regal outfit with the sword and Michelle Yeoh owning it. Just perfect.

Voq reawakening made me sad, but I really like the actor playing Ash so that's contributing.

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

If you look closely he has a small smirk on his face at the end when the Emperor is grilling Michael - after the bow.

I saw that too. I said last week I thought he was Prime-Lorca, but this moved me the other way - he knew who the Emperor was and that's why he brought Michael to Discovery after the mutiny.

On 16/01/2018 at 1:39 AM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I heard a theory that suggests that the Mirror Ash Tyler was turned into the Mirror Voq. I think I can support that. 

The actor is being kept pretty busy. There's regular Voq, Ash Voq, mirror Voq and I'm not ruling out there's a "was always human Ash" sitting in a klingon prison still. The actor mentioned he's enjoying playing with all the iterations we've seen so far.

It's almost endearing or otherwise perplexing that the terrans can be so bigoted towards aliens but seem to be pretty good as far as gender and race tolerance towards other humans. Guess those differences seem small when you have aliens to hate. A bit like how the klingons seem pretty co-operative when they have a superior force to fight.

Terry Pratchett had this covered:

“Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because—what with trolls and dwarfs and so on—speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green.”

On 1/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, red snow said:

Star Trek isn't the only SF to do this. As we see in The Expanse, books & show, humanity is portrayed as being capable, after much pain & woe, to learn to move past certain differences, in order to start hating on other differences.

I think it was essentially the plan in Alan Moore's "warchmen" as well - give them something else to hate.

I noticed in the expanse series the authors use the word "tribalism" a lot which I guess is what a lot of 'isms are.

Speaking of Expanse I felt they did a far better job of 'spacing' people than Discovery did. Although I still have a fondness for the brutal off-handed spacing in BSG.

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

Terry Pratchett had this covered:

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Star Trek isn't the only SF to do this. As we see in The Expanse, books & show, humanity is portrayed as being capable, after much pain & woe, to learn to move past certain differences, in order to start hating on other differences.

Outside of SciFi, the 1996 John Sayles movie Lone Star also had a similar line: " it's always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by a deeper prejudice"

So that's two big plot twists that were predicted well ahead of time. I wonder if twist based tv will eventually fall out of favor. Though I guess most of the audience is surprised by them still. 

Burnham eating mirror Saru was pretty great though. I'm really looking forward to the look on his face when he finds out. 

I think the twists were fairly well done, it's just that veteran fans and TV watchers have gotten better as spotting them. 

I can't believe I actually like this show. I was prepared to hate it, and I still hate CBS for their streaming stunt, but I think it's worth watching. 

The show was  either deliberately, or perhaps inadvertently, scripted with an eye to Netflix-style binging. If people just raced from ep to ep, the twists would not have been so obvious for those watching it fresh, I suspect.

I think I want to like it more than I actually like it? There are interesting concepts and characters, but as a whole it lacks something. I am loathe to put it on Burnham, but I don't find her that compelling. Interesting things are happening *around* her, but she is not all that interesting. Lorca was always a favorite, but he's really cemented that for me recently (and with the unsurprising twist). Voq is an interesting situation and kind of compelling in the moment, but the plot is not something I actually like. The spores and Stamats are ... meh? I want to like Stamats more than I do. He's kind of a dick, which I like in my characters (see: Lorca) but he's just ... there. I don't know. I think a lot depends on how this resolves and comes together. Kind of like how the first season was set up for the back half and the choices they made there make sense for the things that came after. It seems like this is a whole season of set-up for ... something. I'm not sure what.

I do like the show, but I'm not sure why. It has some good moments and concepts is probably the reason for me right now. I'll see how that holds up over the long run.

I can't believe I actually like this show. I was prepared to hate it, and I still hate CBS for their streaming stunt, but I think it's worth watching.

I'm still a bit bemused why people are ragging on CBS for just doing the exact same thing that Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and every premium cable channel since forever has done and CBS has made the decision they want to have their own slice of the pie rather than devolving into a content-provider for everyone else. It's frustrating if you've already committed to x number of services to pay for, but in the same way it's frustrating that I can't afford Amazon Prime at the moment so I haven't seen American Gods, the second season of The Man in the High Castle and The Tick, all of which I really want to see. I'll get round to them eventually.

What I find more annoying with these shows is that the old physical media release model, where you'd get the show the week after the final episode airs, has gone out the window (at least American Gods is out on Blu-Ray, thanks to Starz handling that in the UK, not Amazon) and you don't get the physical media release until close to 2 years later, which is absurd. Discovery looks like it's heading in that direction, with no physical media release currently listed at all.

Archived