Vegas Shooting

Which Tyler

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

The author seems to be projecting quite heavily. Billions of people are oppressed by those who have more than them each and every day, yet most of them don't end up slaughtering dozens of innocent concert goers. Garbage blog post.

Yeah, that was my take as well. Thanks for the affirmation there.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

For instance I know quite a few people who have had a decent career in publishing as editors, but never had a a shot at what kind of editor of what kind of books they wanted to be, because those slots all went to people who went to private schools, and then on to the Iveys, and they, due to lack of family money and background, were not able to.  They were very bitter about this, and remain so.  They don't talk about it all the time, but it comes up in predictable contexts in conversation. In  contrast I know some people who did have the family money and background, and they just slid into these valuable, prestigious editorial slots -- and even writing columns for the NY Times, etc. -- without ever having published or edited anything in their lives.  I.e. these are valid points  to look at.

To me, those are just bitter people in a general sense. Growing up in the Valley in SoCal is a lower-class, persecuted existence? I don't find that to be a valid point. I think it's delusional.  

2 hours ago, Relic said:

The author seems to be projecting quite heavily. Billions of people are oppressed by those who have more than them each and every day, yet most of them don't end up slaughtering dozens of innocent concert goers. Garbage blog post.

You noticed that Greg didn't think what the shooter did was right or justified, yes?

What he did was share something he, personally knew about the guy.  Very few know anything about him at all. 

In the meantime from where comes and of what consists romperman's enormous anger, bitterness, hatred and victimhood that he's not given what to what he's entitled?  This above all should teach us that people who are wealthy and privileged beyond belief still think they're being shat upon by Others who are more wealthy and privileged.  Man, that's been his entire NYC social trajectory -- attempting to be one of Those, who won't accept him.  He's showin' em  now, all right.

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime from where comes and of what consists romperman's enormous anger, bitterness, hatred and victimhood that he's not given what to what he's entitled?  This above all should teach us that people who are wealthy and privileged beyond belief still think they're being shat upon by Others who are more wealthy and privileged.  Man, that's been his entire NYC social trajectory -- attempting to be one of Those, who won't accept him.  He's showin' em  now, all right.

But how does that fit what he did? How does targeting an open air Country music concert enact any sort of revenge against those more wealthy and privileged than he? It doesn't fit for me.

36 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But how does that fit what he did? How does targeting an open air Country music concert enact any sort of revenge against those more wealthy and privileged than he? It doesn't fit for me.

IT DOESN'T MAKE RATIONAL SENSE, ANY MORE THAN WHAT ROMPERMAN DOES.  THAT'S THE POINT. THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

IT DOESN'T MAKE RATIONAL SENSE, ANY MORE THAN WHAT ROMPERMAN DOES.  THAT'S THE POINT. THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN.

No need to shout. 

So I guess we're in agreement that the assertion the blog you linked to made makes no rational sense?

/Edited to add: No rational sense is extreme. Adds little to no insight other than the shooter was an angry man, which is probably about the safest assumption one can make given the circumstance.

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

"I Went to School With the Vegas Shooter" by Greg Palast:

http://mailchi.mp/gregpalast/v3tjxbfkb4-172713?e=3aca5d2dc6

Greg thinks he may have a bit of insight into why Paddock committed such a horrific act.

Ugh.  That is one of the worst pieces of shit I'm ashamed to say I've read.  The most disgusting thing about this Hunter S. Thompson wannabe is repeatedly alluding to Nam.  Who went to Nam?  By everything I can find, neither of you.  The whole damn thing is just vapid anecdotes that provide exactly zero insight to anything whatsoever.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

You noticed that Greg didn't think what the shooter did was right or justified, yes?

Yup, and then he goes on to project his own anger as the shooter's motive.

Anyway, not sure what you are defending here. The author of that post is clearly speculating based on his own belief system. This sort of speculation doesn't help me understand a god damned thing about the shooter, since there are (as I've already said) literally billions of people who have suffered far more than this murderous asshole without resorting to mass slaughter. 

From another perspective one might see you guys' reactions here as part of what he's talking about -- and the refusal to see that it is irrationality that is running much of what is going on -- which in itself is irrational. Even your anxiety to find out whether Greg was in "Nam" or not indicates that something is driving you, which is very deeply emotional, not rational -- particularly as the US presence there in that war was driven by irrationality itself, as we see over and over and over, whether or not placating Burns want to say it was a tragedy caused by well-meaning people -- well meaning in the face of fact after fact after fact. 

http://www.gregpalast.com/fathers-victory-pacific/

Really, you know he's been an investigative journalist for years, published by publications you all probably even read -- which is more than you all can say for yourselves.

Irrationality and refusal to see what is in front our faces is driving this country, from denial of Climate Collapse to Dems still thinking that facts and speeches will defeat the irrationality.  It's kinda like the guy who lost his keys over there in the dark, but looks for them over here because "the light's better."

O well.  Imma outta the country for a while and maybe I can recuperate and recharge a bit, even though it is work I'm outta here for.  It's tragic how it is when one leaves the USA for a while in another place, just how deranged this country is, and how it's progressively gotten more so in all the years I've been doing this.  Once out of here, after a day or two without being bombarded by the endless news cycles of the ever escalating crazy, one feels an enormous weight slowly lifting, from both brain and body.

None of that changes the fact that this particular blog post was worthless in terms of shedding any light on the shooter's motivations, which appears to have been the writer's purpose. If Socrates had written it, it would still be worthless. 

This isn't a refusal to see what the author is talking about. It's "is what he's talking about pertinent to the act that was committed?" Is there any worthwhile insight provided by the author?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

From another perspective one might see you guys' reactions here as part of what he's talking about -- and the refusal to see that it is irrationality that is running much of what is going on -- which in itself is irrational.

Errrr...if your point here is to say that the killer's motives were irrational, than sure. If you are saying that this blog post helps you understand why this piece of shit did what he did than i'm out.   

51 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Even your anxiety to find out whether Greg was in "Nam" or not indicates that something is driving you, which is very deeply emotional, not rational -- particularly as the US presence there in that war was driven by irrationality itself, as we see over and over and over, whether or not placating Burns want to say it was a tragedy caused by well-meaning people -- well meaning in the face of fact after fact after fact. 

Huh.  Here I thought it was simply the most logical (or "rational") reaction to a very poorly written and nakedly pandering essay.

Archived