Vegas Shooting

Which Tyler

14 hours ago, Relic said:

I can't even wrap my head around that. I think ill go open a tea house in the Himalayas and let humanity run its course. 

Ok. The fuck are we going to do next week though?

9 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Okay, cutting down all of that gibberish to as much of a salient point that I can glean, it seems that almost all of the points you're making are just based on your own feelings. Now you're trying to be cute and point out grammatical errors (and no, those quotations are an indication that I was mocking you) because you have no substantial way to back up or defend anything you're saying. Every statement you made just now begins with "I would say" or "I believe" or something like that, without providing anything in the way of research or evidence.

Why even keep feeding the troll?  I ask this as a veteran troll feeder. 

Because, sadly and eventually, they become dependent on humans for food and attention and either have to be dealt with by animal control or are condemned to a life of raiding suburban garbage cans and the dangers of modern packaging and rapidly evolving bacteria that thrive in such waste receptacles.

Better to refuse (kind of pun intended) them the easy meal and let them wander back into the wild from whence they came.

6 hours ago, Swordfish said:

I've been there.  It's everything it's cracked up to be.

CNN has been pushing the 'there had to be more than one shooter' narrative for a couple days now every time I tune in (which admittedly is not very often).

I don't think the media is gonna bail us out of any of this.

On the other hand I've been watching CNN a lot.

Basically their experts are saying two things. First, the police absolutely cannot rule out the involvement of others until they have searched every avenue. They need to go through his computers and cell phone, they need to track his finances, they need to track his contacts, speak to his family to see if there were changes in his personality, find out where he was practicing his shooting (they have already traced his guns), talk to people he would have dealt with, and so on and so on. A lot of work to do before they can be sure he was alone. And the central reason is that this attack took massive planning. It wasn't an angry guy with a gun climbing a tower or showing up on a campus.

The second thing at least one of their experts is saying, while all the above has to be done as part of a thorough investigation, he personally (the Phillip guy, I forget his last name) is personally convinced the shooter did not act on his own. And since he gets interviewed a lot, you always hear him saying there has to be someone else involved in some way. He also doesn't trust the girlfriend.

The question, "Do you think he acted alone?" is a pretty basic one to ask in the circumstances, I think.

What reason has been given for not trusting the girlfriend?  Considering she has or is eligible for citizenship or residency in multiple countries, it would be the height of stupidity to have returned to the US when she could have easily answered questions from abroad or refused altogether and simply disappeared.  

24 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

What reason has been given for not trusting the girlfriend?  Considering she has or is eligible for citizenship or residency in multiple countries, it would be the height of stupidity to have returned to the US when she could have easily answered questions from abroad or refused altogether and simply disappeared.  

I think that it is a disbelief that an intimate could not have noticed things like 33 guns being purchased in the year, the practice he would have had to regularly do in order to learn how to shoot the high powered weapons, especially after the bump stocks were added, since shooting a gun that goes into rapid fire mode like that would be quite different than the unmodified gun. That there had to be changes in the last year in his personality and his conduct that she should have noticed. He did a lot of planning - did she not notice any of this? She wasn't curious about all the work he was doing? He had 10 big pieces of luggage, she didn't see this in the house?

To me it does stretch credulity.

He bought her the ticket to the Philippines - what was with the travelling around she did? What did she do with the $100,000? Were there other payments?

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think that it is a disbelief that an intimate could not have noticed things like 33 guns being purchased in the year, the practice he would have had to regularly do in order to learn how to shoot the high powered weapons, especially after the bump stocks were added, since shooting a gun that goes into rapid fire mode like that would be quite different than the unmodified gun. That there had to be changes in the last year in his personality and his conduct that she should have noticed. He did a lot of planning - did she not notice any of this? She wasn't curious about all the work he was doing? He had 10 big pieces of luggage, she didn't see this in the house?

He bought her the ticket to the Philippines - what was with the travelling around she did? What did she do with the $100,000? Were there other payments?

Yeah, I'm sure she had to have picked up on some of this, but it's one thing to question it in your head and quite another to either confront him or go to the police. Especially if the guy was truly abusive. 

I don't really buy into the personality change thing much either, given the relatively long planning period. This plan of his seemed so well thought out and measured that I would tend to doubt that he had some sort of snap moment.

4 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

This would be suspicious if there weren't thousands and thousands of gun nuts hobbyists that already do this kind of thing just for fun.

People just refuse to acknowledge that he was a pretty normal American white guy. The whole, well he had to have been mentally ill ignores the fact that people with mental illness are far, far, far more likely to be VICTIMS of violence then the aggressor.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I'm sure she had to have picked up on some of this, but it's one thing to question it in your head and quite another to either confront him or go to the police. Especially if the guy was truly abusive. 

I don't really buy into the personality change thing much either, given the relatively long planning period. This plan of his seemed so well thought out and measured that I would tend to doubt that he had some sort of snap moment.

Yeah this doesn't seem t be a FUCK IT IMA KILL SOME PEOPLE thing.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah this doesn't seem t be a FUCK IT IMA KILL SOME PEOPLE thing.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like this was a guy who was basically just looking to set the world record for hunting humans....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-vegas-shooter-may-have-scouted-fenway-park-as-possible-target/

Just looking for a high vantage point over a large crowd of people.

41 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wait, I own something like 8 big pieces of luggage, and I'm not a millionaire like this dude was.  

A lot of these things there is nothing suspicious about or we don't have enough information.  His brother claims he wasn't that into guns, but his brother saw him a handful of times a year, if that, and lived across the country from him.  Maybe he was into guns, maybe she knew he spent lots of time at a gun range or out on some property.  There is a ton of uninhabited land in the deserts around Las Vegas where one could go practice shooting.  Or hell even space where one could store stuff.   

I'm not really sure what you mean about the traveling around?  It seemed they both moved around and traveled a lot.  The only thing I found bizarre was that this dude was wealthy, they apparently visited the Philippines several times in the last few years, so why was he looking for 'cheap' tickets?  Although, her explanation that she thought he was breaking up with her is plausible.  I know plenty of people get flighty as fuck when it comes to break ups.  

I don't know, maybe it's naive but I just think it's unfair to look at a family member or partner and think they should have seen or known something.  A change in personality doesn't necessarily indicate potential mass shooter.

1 minute ago, Lew Theobald said:

I guess it's deemed okay to make such statements about white people, to commemorate a tragedy in which dozens of American white guys got murdered.  "Punching up" and the "progressive stack" and all that.  Isn't that what they teach you in college these days?

But progressive ideology was more powerful when it appealed to people's sense of fairness.

Yeah, no, that's not a progressive statement. That's literally what he was. Or at the very least, it was what he portrayed.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The only thing I found bizarre was that this dude was wealthy, they apparently visited the Philippines several times in the last few years, so why was he looking for 'cheap' tickets?  

How do you think rich people stay rich? The wealthiest people I know are also the cheapest people I know. That's how they got rich.

I don't think people are suspicious of her because she didn't report him to the police, it's because in this first round of interviews she apparently said she didn't notice anything strange. Like I said, buying 33 guns, doing the practicing and the planning. He may have bought guns over the years, but I heard that the total number of guns he had was 49 and he bought 33 in the past year, 16 over what, 20 or more years? 

I probably have 6 or 8 pieces of luggage, but it's an assortment of old and new large suitcases, medium suitcases and a couple of carry-ons, not 10 big suitcases.

By the travelling around I meant the fact she went to the Philippines two weeks ago, and then Japan and I think somewhere else, then back to the Philippines,  and some people were saying her movements had to be tracked. I bet the Japanese are trying to track down all her movements while she was there.

I really can't judge what is or is not 'normal' in the US with regard to guns. And the girlfriend wasn't American, so I'm not sure she knew what was normal either.

40 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

I guess it's deemed okay to make such statements about white people, to commemorate a tragedy in which dozens of American white guys got murdered.  "Punching up" and the "progressive stack" and all that.  Isn't that what they teach you in college these days?

But progressive ideology was more powerful when it appealed to people's sense of fairness.

I'm a white dude about to turn 39, but sure. College. Ok.

Archived