Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DireWolfSpirit

Catalun independence vote

265 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, baxus said:

It definitely sounds scary. The moment when military is even considered in the context of acting against general population is not as far from that becoming a reality as we'd like to think. Once again, I've lived through a similar situation though I was just a kid at the time.

As for armed forces on the streets of your cities, I hope no one ever gets to experience it. I had that misfortune for a couple of months in 2003, when our prime minister was assassinated and country was on red alert. I was a bit older then, and going to university and about the city with police officers armed with automatic weapons snd SWAT vehicles zooming around the city at every corner was scary as hell. I can only assume it would've been even worse if it was military.

Yes exactly. I have similar feelings when i see pplice with large weapons for preventive issues (terrorist alert) and it has an impact on me. .the thing is seeing the army in the streets is not gonna make things better for everyday's prople considering we are talking about political issues.

And there is a start of a diplomatic fight: 

The Belgian ambassador in Madrid has received a number of angry emails from circles close to the Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy. In Spanish government circles there is scant understanding for the Belgian premier's attitude to the stand-off between Madrid and Barcelona and the Catalans efforts to secure independence.

Belgian Premier Charles Michel was one of the first to condemn the violence that accompanied the Catalan vote on independence. At the weekend Mr Michel spoke out in the daily Le Soir urging Spain and Catalonia to halt what he described as a "War of Nerves". The pronouncements did not receive a warm welcome in Madrid triggering the unpleasant emails that express stupefaction at Mr Michel's words.

Belgian Premier Charles Michel has been keen to play down speculation about a rift with Madrid suggesting that an erroneous interpretation may have been given to his words in Spain: “PM Rajoy has my phone number. He can always reach me!”

Mr Michel and Sr Rajoy are both attending the EU summit in Brussels today. It remains to be seen whether any differences will surface publicly. No official meeting is planned but Mr Michel would not rule out the two leaders speaking informally. Madrid has reportedly also withdrawn its support for a top Belgian police woman aiming to become the new head of Europol. PM Michel has been keen to talk up Catherine De Bolle’s chances suggesting that he couldn’t imagine that a prestigious country like Spain would stoop to such tactics.

Mr Michel can count on support for his stand in cabinet. Belgian interior minister Jan Jambon, a Flemish nationalist says: "He's doing what others should: condemning the Spaniards on account of the police violence on the day. It's a good thing that our PM is saying how things are."

Deputy Premier Alexander De Croo, a Flemish liberal shares this view: "The way that the Spaniards dealt with the referendum is unacceptable. This is the result of an unrestrained nationalism on both sides. Our reaction was the right one.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.3084162

This is one of the few times I actually feel a little proud of my little country. :wub: 

You should feel proud of "Gallant little Belgium"

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

This is one of the few times I actually feel a little proud of my little country. :wub: 

Sadly, nowadays it's really admirable when ethical principles get in the way of realpolitik. You have reason to be proud! :)