NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

Good lord...between Hopkins, Duke, and Stafford, I got so many garbage time points today to help me win in my pay dynasty league.  Granted, I probably still would have won, as I was down a point with Thielen still to play tomorrow, but here's to Hopkins giving me a guaranteed 4-1!

The Chiefs are weird because it seems like they have solved Alex Smith's arm strength problem by having guys WIDE OPEN 10 yards downfield.  I have no idea how they are able to do it so consistently, but they have made three pretty good defenses (Houston, Philly, Washington) look overmatched. 

So, the Chiefs continue to impress, dominating Houston inside and out and by then crippling the team who lost - for the season - tw of their top 4 defensive players- Merciless (not trying to spell it) and JJ Watt for the season.  The issue here is that Watson seems 100% legit so there is a chance that they can still make the playoffs.  Okay not really, but Houston may- long term - be on the right track.  Not this season though.  I feel terrible for Watt after losing last season and then all the work he did for the city of Houston and then rehabilitating his image for being an incorrigible dick-head on Hard Knocks.   His injury is possibly the worst - broken bone AND significant ligament damage.  Fuck that. 

And now lets all think about Jacksonville.  What team in the NFL has the best points differential?  We would think KC, right?  5-0 and destroying teams.  Or maybe the high-octane Falcons?  NOPE!  Its the Jags!  The Jags are +56!  PLUS FIFTY-SIX!  And in doing so are in 1st place and did the greatest thing yesterday by making us all imagine a league without Ben Rothlesberger.  Big ben looked like complete shit- five picks and a passer rating of 37.8 which only makes me wonder how many INTs you need to throw to get below 25.  Ben said after the game that he may have lost "it" and I thought that meant "line of sight on my nuts" because he now weighs more than most of his linemen. Lets just remember all of Big Ben's greatest on-field, non-rape related moments... 

... okay quick list.  And don't talk about the Superbowls- he played in 3 looked like shit in all of them.  Twenty playoff games, 25 Tds 23 INTs, he blows.  He'll make it to the Hall of Fame because of James Harrison.  And that first one against the Seahawks?  Ughh.. 123 yards passing, 0 Tds 2 picks.  His QB rating was 22.6.  WORST EVER by a Sueprbowl winning QB.  His Canton bust will be made out of pyrite and covered in Crisco.  

(Lets just ignore that Blake Bortles QB rating was 48.2 and threw for all of 95 yards and had a pick.... Fuck it, they'll probably host a playoff game at this rate).  

Anyway, I feel like shit for OBJ.  That guy is awesome, he makes the game 10x better.  He's fun and plays like the game SHOULD be fun and not with the grimness of like... every New England Patriot ever.  That sucks.

Lets talk about something else I liked- Brian Hoyer and Jacoby Brisett.  Fucking great day for both of them.  Hoyer put up 300 yards 2 Td no picks, 100+ QB day; Brisett continues to lead the Colts in spite of Chuck Pegano murdering the team.  Brisette had 300 yards a rushing TD and the win.  Love watching former Pats play great.

Oh, and the Dolphins are already sick of Jay Cutler- AFTER ONE HOME GAME! - fans screaming for Cutler's backup!  Love it.  You deserve all that you fucks.  Good news- the Dolphins are on a really interesting supplement program.  I am so pleased.  

Panthers suddenly hot.  Hey any relevance that the Panthers committed 11 penalties for 100 yards this week, but last week were called for all of ONE penalty against the Pats?  I'm sure that was not relevant in any way.  

And now the GAME OF THE WEEK for week 6- Pats v. Jets!  For first place and the right to lose to the Jags in the Divisional Round!  LETS DO THIS!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Remember when the Texans decided to start the season with Tom Savage at QB? God, that was funny. 

You can't teach a player to have torpidity like Tom Savage has. He really torpid-oed his career.

https://deadspin.com/bad-quarterback-performance-of-the-week-tom-savage-get-1803775394

16 minutes ago, Week said:

You can't teach a player to have torpidity like Tom Savage has. He really torpid-oed his career.

https://deadspin.com/bad-quarterback-performance-of-the-week-tom-savage-get-1803775394

My eyes are bleeding watching those gifs. 

It is interesting that the Jags have completely and irrevocably ruined the 3 QBs they've faced who lack mobility (Savage, Flacco, Big Ben). Apparently if they can't have a QB, no-one can. 

It's not the be-all, end-all, but I'm pretty sure the first metric for NFL quarterback evaluation should be: were you good in college? Tom Savage was not good in college. Deshaun Watson was historically great in college.

18 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's not the be-all, end-all, but I'm pretty sure the first metric for NFL quarterback evaluation should be: were you good in college? Tom Savage was not good in college. Deshaun Watson was historically great in college.

I would add a few qualifiers to that:

1. If you were only good in a few of high profile games, but not consistently good all season, you are not a good quarterback.  (Paxton Lynch Rule)

2. Good quarterbacks do not get worse year to year in college.  (Christian Hackenberg Rule)

3.  Good quarterbacks do not do coke.  (Johnny Manziel Rule)

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

1. If you were only good in a few of high profile games, but not consistently good all season, you are not a good quarterback.  (Paxton Lynch Rule)

2. Good quarterbacks do not get worse year to year in college.  (Christian Hackenberg Rule)

2.  Christian Hackenberg was never good. He showed promise as a true freshman, which is a long way from actually being good.  He then stopped even doing that.  He was an actively terrible quarterback, who still managed to be drafted in the 2nd round. He'll be out of the league after this season without ever having thrown a pass. End rant.

I also think Lynch was good. It's just some quarterbacks who were good in college won't be good in the pros, especially when making the leap from a smaller school environment.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

4. If you only played for less than two full seasons, there is nowhere near enough evidence to say you are a good quarterback (Mark Sanchez rule).

9 minutes ago, sperry said:

I also think Lynch was good. It's just some quarterbacks who were good in college won't be good in the pros, especially when making the leap from a smaller school environment.

Lynch had pretty good numbers his senior year, but his draft stock was almost entirely based on his performance leading Memphis over #13 Ol Miss on national television.  Nobody remembers his clunker against Navy, and nobody even saw his complete no-show vs Temple.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I believe it tends to be the drug of choice for those that way inclined who are likely to be tested (because it doesn’t stay in your system very long). So I’d guess there’s a reasonable possibility that’s not true.

Tom Brady’s married to a supermodel and wasn’t he with Wes Welker when he was caught taking speed? I’d have my suspicions.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

4. If you only played for less than two full seasons, there is nowhere near enough evidence to say you are a good quarterback (Mark Sanchez rule).

We'll see how Mr. Biscuit does tonight after his one year as a starter. 

9 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Trubisky has looked good so far. These refs are AWFUL.

The tricky-tack holding and offensive PI call has really killed the momentum in the game. Should be 9+ to 0

Archived