NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

48 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Is this upcoming halftime trailer for the new Star Wars the one that I'm supposed to avoid 'cause it has unforgivable spoilers?

Dunno - I guess that I'll be bumbling into that.

44 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

What a Vikings game.

Sam Bradford is not long for this game. I'll be surprised if he is back out there after halftime.

ETA -  Sad Sam limping and trying to slap hands. Those hands should not be slapped.

etaa - Gruden - before the end of the Biscuit's first half of play - "you can't keep the training wheels on forever!" ....

I think everyone in here came around eventually, but in case anyone actually still believed in 'football reasons' re: Kaepernick, the NFL has...clarified...it's position on enforced nationalistic genuflection. 

https://deadspin.com/the-nfl-quietly-changed-its-obscure-rule-about-standing-1819300660

Ordered to play anthem and display flag, players ordered to attend and stand at silent attention facing flag, ordered which hand to use to hold helmet, etc. Fine, suspensions, discipline and/or draft pick forfeiture stipulated for those who do not comply.

Jesus fucking Christ.

10 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Mitch Trubisctuti sucks. The Vikings keep asking them to play longer though.

On the one hand, he sure looked the part. He has really good arm strength, solid accuracy and is very mobile. However, on the other hand his decision making was questionable, which is not unexpected for a rookie QB without many starts under his belt (between college and the NFL). He should have had 4 interceptions last night.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

5. If you cannot confidently throw a football more than 15 yards, you are not an NFL QB (Christian Ponder Rule).

*Unless you are Chad Pennington.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:44 PM, sperry said:

I posted earlier, but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle with all the games. 

I apologize as well, I was out of line. No hard feelings.

Thanks, sperry. I appreciate it. I didn't miss your original, but didn't want to dwell on the ugly episode longer.

Breaking-ish news: Saints have traded Adrian Peterson to the Cardinals, who must be hoping he can be as sorta-adequate for them as Emmitt Smith once was.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

*Unless you are Chad Pennington.

Allowed. Funny you mention him, because I always though that Bridgewater's ceiling would a better, more athletic version of Chad.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Breaking-ish news: Saints have traded Adrian Peterson to the Cardinals, who must be hoping he can be as sorta-adequate for them as Emmitt Smith once was.

I love the narrative I've heard all day. "When the Cardinals acquire an aging RB, you know they're finished." And make no mistake about it, Peterson was clearly washed last year.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I love the narrative I've heard all day. "When the Cardinals acquire an aging RB, you know they're finished." And make no mistake about it, Peterson was clearly washed last year.

It's kind of perfect that they cut Chris Johnson in order to make room for him. Gosh, if they could have found room for both, that would have been the most dominant rushing attack of 2009.

We all know that the old adage of "you need to run the ball and stop the run" is no longer relevant in today's NFL.  But the Jaguars seem to be experimenting with the strategy of "you need to run the ball and stop the pass".  On FO they have the #1 rated defense overall, but they're actually #1 against the pass and #31 against the run.  One the other end of the ball, they're #6 in the run, but 23rd in the pass.  And watching the Jags play, they really aren't asking Bortles to do much.  Fornette is the engine of that offense, Bortles is just there to hand him the ball, occasionally run play action, and get sacked on third and long. 

I doubt that such a strategy could work, but at  the same time, I still don't really understand how Denver won the Super Bowl in 2015.  That definitely looks like the template they're following, and if the defense can keep destroying opponents quarterbacks, it could work, unless they inexplicably run into the Jets in the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sounds like some of the Cowboys players are having an issue with Jerrah's anthem ultimatum. I'm on a tablet, and I don't know how to link off it, but cbs sports had an interesting piece on it.

The dynamics are interesting.  The league has always made sure to quell individual star power, meaning no individual players have much leverage outside of a handful of the top few quarterbacks. I think that has hurt the league tremendously in the age of social media, but it helps them out when they want to try stunts like this.  Unless Dak stands up to Jerry, there is no one on that team with any leverage.  And it doesn't appear as if any good quarterbacks are willing to stand up to the owners.

Archived