NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

What a crazy ass game between the Saints and the Lions.  Tipped passes, defensive TD's, players being carted off the field left and right.  Some blue sky fans in the Detroit area are going to talk about how the Lions showed perseverance to almost come back after being down 45-10, but I say bullshit to that.  I don't care one iota about perseverance.  I care about wins and I care about Stafford making it through the season alive.  There was no fucking reason for Stafford to be in that game when they were down 35 points.  That line was so beat up that there was talk of a Tight end coming in to play tackle.  At that point they needed to pull Stafford and let him rest.  He has been getting crushed the last three weeks and was being hammered in the backfield all day.  Should have sat him for the rest of this game and let him heal up in the bye week.

But nope, he stayed in (Tate did for a bit until he was broken in half, twice) took huge hits to the ribs and almost came back.  So at the end of the year when they talk about the teams that might make the playoffs, the Lions can be the team that almost made it, they really really really tried, but they were just a bit short.

The best part about Tony Romo in the booth is that when he says shit like 'I'm telling you, use Leveon Bell in Madden! It's like breaking the game.'

I believe that he has actually played Madden with Bell. Maybe he's not like a super into it guy playing his franchise or MUT team, but he has it and has played.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

Man, the refs just absolutely fucked the Jets.

So my own opinion on this:

Quick recap of what happened.  Jets are driving Austin Seferian-Jenkins took a pass from Josh McCown, got to a few yards of the goalline when he was tackled and in the process CLEARLY lost control of the ball when he crossed the goal-line. Ref's originally called TD.  Auto-review, officials determined that Seferian-Jenkins bobbled the ball as he was going into the end zone, and that he hit the pylon when he technically did not have control of it. 

Here is my one and only issue and what I would be BALLISTIC about had it happened to the Pats: how, in the name of baby Jesus and the American flag did the refs find irrefutable visual evidence (the actual standard) that ASJ lost control of the football, did not regain it, hit the pylon and did not regain it until after he was down?  How?  

Instant replay IS NOT an excuse to try to figure out what happened on the plays where its used; its ONE AND ONLY ROLE is to see if a call made was incorrect using - AND ONLY USING -irrefutable visual evidence.  That's it.  Its not there to investigate calls; to make things fair etc.  Its nit there to create "CSI: National Football League."  

Now, I want to get one thing out of the way now: if the refs DID find irrefutable visual evidence; if they did see ASJ lose the ball (which you can clearly see); if they then saw him hit the pylon BEFORE regaining control of the ball, and then if they saw him carry the ball out of bounds, then the call was 100% (no ifs, ands or buts about it) the correct call.  No question: it was a touch-back.  No doubt.  Correct call.  Everyone who is complaining about it (read: everyone) is saying the same exact thing: correct call, bad rule.  

Just like with the Tuck Rule and with the "Reporting as Inelligiable" etc - Don't give a shit if its a bad rule.  Its THE RULE!  Quit complaining and belly-acheing and crying wha wha - it was the right call.  IF you don't like the rule, change it even though they have been calling it that way the same for the last 20 seasons.  

BUT ... I do not agree that that was irrefutable evidence.  I think the refs are fucking up Instant replay by trying to make it a way to perfect the game.  And today the Jets suffered.

Which I love but also hate so... stop... 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Kaep files a grievance for collusion. Think he may just get his job.

I'm not so sure. The NFL wins in court, it's one of the reasons the owners still back Goodell. Back in 2010, the league OBVIOUSLY colluded by not allowing unlimited spending in the uncapped year and punished the Cowboys and Redskins for not following along. I recall Giants owner John Mara smirking to reporters that the punishment of his division rivals was not proof of collusion and lo and behold, the courts agreed.

I think in this case the courts will side with the NFL because if they do side with Kap, it will actually invalidate the current CBA. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/15/kaepernick-hopes-to-invalidate-the-cba-through-collusion-grievance/

Bears win!  There's a shocking amount of optimism around here about Trubiskey, but when you've wandered through the desert of Cutler, McCown and Glennon, you can understand why people are desperate for any hint of the promised land.

Despite the close ending -- both wins of the season came in OT -- the Bears' defense dominated an anemic Ravens offense, and it was only freakish fuck-ups by special teams that allowed the Ravens to score anything more than a FG.  Plus the Bears' running game was really solid, aside from one fumble.  For some reason Flacco kept going after Kyle Fuller all game and got nothing -- can Joe only see to his right?

If Trubiskey's role is mostly to hand the ball to Howard or Cohen, and occasionally threaten a play-action pass, then hopefully he can't go far wrong.  He has practically no receivers to aim at anyway.  Just stop the turnovers.  He wasn't badly at fault for that fumble but should've been more careful at that stage of the game. 

With Rodgers injured now and the Bears still pretty hapless, the Vikings with their third string QB will be challenging the Lions for the division.  

Archived