NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

I don't think he wins the court case; I think he gets a job. Want to show you aren't colluding to not sign the guy? Have someone sign the guy.  They do not want discovery on this issue, it's a PR nightmare even in the likely event that they win.

10 minutes ago, sperry said:

I don't think he wins the court case; I think he gets a job. Want to show you aren't colluding to not sign the guy? Have someone sign the guy.  They do not want discovery on this issue, it's a PR nightmare even in the likely event that they win.

And then that team will get attacked on Twitter by none other than the President of the United States. Trump's rabid base will call that team unAmerican and begin boycotts. Trump will happily tweet about it everyday as the Mueller investigation ramps up and war with North Korea and/or Iran heats up. 

23 minutes ago, Trebla said:

And then that team will get attacked on Twitter by none other than the President of the United States. Trump's rabid base will call that team unAmerican and begin boycotts. Trump will happily tweet about it everyday as the Mueller investigation ramps up and war with North Korea and/or Iran heats up. 

Yeah, I think this is the likely outcome as well. On top of that, once you sue the NFL, they are really going to circle the wagons. I don't see them backing down here. The only way Kaep gets a job now is with a court order.

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

BUT ... I do not agree that that was irrefutable evidence.  I think the refs are fucking up Instant replay by trying to make it a way to perfect the game.  And today the Jets suffered.

Jets fan here - agree 100% with everything you said.  Especially this.  I was just glad it was a competitive game :)

And if the Jets win that one - Todd Bowles for coach of the year.  How can a JV team beat the Patriots?

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Kendall Fuller and the rest of the Washington's secondary doing a stop and frisk celebration on the game sealing INT made my night.

I also loved that.

12 hours ago, Trebla said:

I'm not so sure. The NFL wins in court, it's one of the reasons the owners still back Goodell. Back in 2010, the league OBVIOUSLY colluded by not allowing unlimited spending in the uncapped year and punished the Cowboys and Redskins for not following along. I recall Giants owner John Mara smirking to reporters that the punishment of his division rivals was not proof of collusion and lo and behold, the courts agreed.

IIRC, the Cowboys and Redskins did not take that one to court, they just took their medicine. 

But I agree with the sentiment that it is very unlikely that Kaep can win in court.  The NFL's contract system is so dysfunctional, it is never going to be defeated by mere logic. 

19 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

@Tywin et al. Laquan Treadwell just made his biggest contribution to the team!

Anyone else see Teddy Bridge on the field corralling his teammates?

The division is ours for the taking! 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I also loved that.

IIRC, the Cowboys and Redskins did not take that one to court, they just took their medicine. 

But I agree with the sentiment that it is very unlikely that Kaep can win in court.  The NFL's contract system is so dysfunctional, it is never going to be defeated by mere logic. 

You're right, it was the NFLPA that took it court. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11124038/nflowners-acted-collusion-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-did-wrong-uncapped-2010-season

This had appeared to be a settled issue. Jones and Snyder did some grumbling but ultimately realized they were basically complicit in the same shady behavior as the owners who were mad at them for doing it wrong. And even though the NFLPA put its hand up and made the point that agreeing to regulate spending in a year without a salary cap sure does sound a lot like collusion, U.S. District Judge David Doty ruled that the union had given up its right to pursue damages as part of the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

I wonder if that last sentence will comeback to haunt the union again. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:50 PM, IamMe90 said:

Alex Smith has been putting out consistently elite QB play for 5 games now; I don't see a particularly compelling reason why he shouldn't be able to remain good enough to at least allow his very talented team to get deep in the playoffs, at the very least, especially given the overall level of play going on in the league currently. 

Also, don't he a ridiculous. The Falcons are clearly a good team, at least comparatively speaking. 

I won't fight you on the Packers, other than to say that this has been a one man team for a long time, and that hasn't stopped them from making them playoffs eight consecutive seasons. Praise be Arodge.

Looks like I called all three correctly. I’ll take Smith’s entire career verse a 5 game sample, and you saw that yesterday. The Falcons are paper tigers. And the Packers are a one man team who won’t win more than 2 games this season.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Looks like I called all three correctly. I’ll take Smith’s entire career verse a 5 game sample, and you saw that yesterday. The Falcons are paper tigers. And the Packers are a one man team who won’t win more than 2 games this season.

Alex Smith is good, that was a weird game yesterday.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Alex Smith has increased his air yards from something like 6.9 yards per pass to 7.1 yards per pass.

He is who he was. All that's changed is that Andy Reid has figured out how to use him well for a while, and Reid's system is super friendly to short passing games that feature running backs. That was basically McNabb's entire career arc. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

1) We'll have to agree to disagree on Smith; while they looked terrible in the first three quarters, I think he looked very good in the fourth. We'll see how he performs for the rest of the season, but I think three quarters is too little time to write him off.

2) The Falcons clearly did not look good yesterday, but again, I think it's too early to call them a bad team; I think they have the potential to be both a good team or a bad team for the rest of the season, and we'll find out what they end up becoming soon. The tools are certainly there for the using, but the post-superbowl defeat hangover may prove too much. 

3) Note that I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment of the Packers are a one man show, just pointing out that it brought them relative success for a consistent period of time. Of course what happened was always a major risk of operating the team like that, and I'm not happy about it. YOU WIN, VIKINGS FAN :(

11 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Can I point out yet that Aaron Rodgers is injury prone and the best ability is availability?

Or is he immune from that one?

Consider the list of top 25 streaks of consecutive starts in NFL history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_consecutive_starts_by_a_National_Football_League_quarterback

I would take him 100 times out of 100 over all excluding Brady, Peyton, Marino, and Brees. Even those of those 4 I would consider taking Rodgers over them.

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Can I point out yet that Aaron Rodgers is injury prone and the best ability is availability?

You can point it out, but it's a very silly thing to say.  From the time he was given the starting job until this past weekend, he started 141/150 games for the Packers.  That is an excellent ratio for anyone not named Brett Favre. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

You can point it out, but it's a very silly thing to say.  From the time he was given the starting job until this past weekend, he started 141/150 games for the Packers.  That is an excellent ratio for anyone not named Brett Favre. 

Really? Huh. I feel like it's way more than that... 

My bad

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Alex Smith is good, that was a weird game yesterday.

Alex Smith is an average QB with good mobility. When you put weapons around him he can look good, sometimes very good, but he's still who he's always been. 

50 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

2) The Falcons clearly did not look good yesterday, but again, I think it's too early to call them a bad team; I think they have the potential to be both a good team or a bad team for the rest of the season, and we'll find out what they end up becoming soon. The tools are certainly there for the using, but the post-superbowl defeat hangover may prove too much. 

3) Note that I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment of the Packers are a one man show, just pointing out that it brought them relative success for a consistent period of time. Of course what happened was always a major risk of operating the team like that, and I'm not happy about it. YOU WIN, VIKINGS FAN :(

2). I dob't believe I said that the Falcons are bad overall. They're just not special. They're like most teams in the league who vacillate from good to bad on any given week. They could easily be 1-4 or 0-5 if a few balls had bounced in different directions.

3). True, but it feels like they've been diminishing over the last few seasons. This isn't the same team as the Packers from 2010-2014. Those squads were super talented, and over those seasons I'd argue the Packers were the second best team after the Patriots. Now Rodgers has average talent around him on offense and very questionable defense. You can't do that, from a team building perspective, if you have the best player in the NFL and expect to win an Owl.

47 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Eli Manning. I don't even need to make an argument, I can just say his name. You lose, just like you're about to lose this here bet with ME.

:-P

32 minutes ago, Week said:

Consider the list of top 25 streaks of consecutive starts in NFL history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_consecutive_starts_by_a_National_Football_League_quarterback

I would take him 100 times out of 100 over all excluding Brady, Peyton, Marino, and Brees. Even those of those 4 I would consider taking Rodgers over them.

You can be a big boy Week and put him over all of them too. 

Hey, has Brady injured that shoulder yet? Handsome Jimmy needs to get off of my fantasy team's bench.

:-P

Also, it looks like both of my feeder teams will move to 5-1 unless Vinatieri scores like 50 points tonight.

Trying to get Jace's best backup QB's list up and running before the game starts:

Colt McCoy

Jimmy Garapolo = Starter

AJ McCarron

Ryan Fitzmagic

Derik Anderson

Case Keenum

Drew Stanton

Jacoby Briskit = Could be a starter in 2 years.

1/4 of NFL teams have a viable backup qb. Obviously, I'm counting depth charts here and where guys would have been on their team when they got there (I.E. Brissettee has only technically been a backup to  Tom Brady, Grapolo, and Scot Tolzien in his NFL career, but he is in reality Andrew Lucks backupand not the #1 starter for the Colts).

Garapoloio and Brisscuit are also the 2 I think would make the best QB1s for a team. Though I think BRiskuit would benefit from continued experience on a roster before a team is hanging its hopes on him. This might be the best thing that ever happened to his NFL career.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Trying to get Jace's best backup QB's list up and running before the game starts:

Colt McCoy

Jimmy Garapolo = Starter

AJ McCarron

Ryan Fitzmagic

Derik Anderson

Case Keenum

Drew Stanton

Jacoby Briskit = Could be a starter in 2 years.

1/4 of NFL teams have a viable backup qb. Obviously, I'm counting depth charts here and where guys would have been on their team when they got there (I.E. Brissettee has only technically been a backup to  Tom Brady, Grapolo, and Scot Tolzien in his NFL career, but he is in reality Andrew Lucks backupand not the #1 starter for the Colts).

Garapoloio and Brisscuit are also the 2 I think would make the best QB1s for a team. Though I think BRiskuit would benefit from continued experience on a roster before a team is hanging its hopes on him. This might be the best thing that ever happened to his NFL career.

Agree with Brisket, Jimmy G, and AJ -- the rest are proven garbage other than a week or two fill in. 

Drew Stanton (14-19 TD/INT for career)

Colt McCoy (26-23 TD/INT for career - hasn't played since 2015)

Fitzmagick / Anderson = Old and bad

But dude, about one half of NFL teams have a viable STARTER -- forget backups.

Archived