NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

Steelers backup safety Robert Golden had more passing yards in the 2nd half than Andy Dalton, that should tell you all you need to know about this one...

The Bengals have talent, but terrible coaching and one of the worst O-lines I've ever seen trumps it all. Mixon averaged 7 ypc in the 1st half, and got 0 carries in the 2nd, while Dalton was running for his life behind 5 guys who looked like it was their first time blocking. Marvin Lewis now 8-25 all-time vs the Steelers, that's a real burn.

7 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

4th down and Andy throws the ball away. Yikes. Soft division this year. Happy we made it out of the game without Burfict killing any of our star players. 

Dalton has to be frustrated trying to play behind that swiss cheese the Bengals call an O-line. Good to see both him and Mike Mitchell keep it clean all game.

16 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Steelers backup safety Robert Golden had more passing yards in the 2nd half than Andy Dalton, that should tell you all you need to know about this one...

The Bengals have talent, but terrible coaching and one of the worst O-lines I've ever seen trumps it all. Mixon averaged 7 ypc in the 1st half, and got 0 carries in the 2nd, while Dalton was running for his life behind 5 guys who looked like it was their first time blocking. Marvin Lewis now 8-25 all-time vs the Steelers, that's a real burn.

Dalton has to be frustrated trying to play behind that swiss cheese the Bengals call an O-line. Good to see both him and Mike Mitchell keep it clean all game.

Yeah fuck Mitchell. Can't stand him. 

Nevermind I obviously missed a Burfict incident... He kicked our fullback like a child.... Wish they'd suspend him for the rest of the year. In a vacuum the play wasn't that bad but the guy clearly can't comprehend playing like a professional. Effing Bungals.

24 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

If you had told me that the Patriots were going to open the season giving up 300 yards passing to every QB they faced, I'd definitely have predicted Matt Ryan to be the slump buster.

You gotta get schwifty in here!

All right old fart Niner fans, it's getting a little dusty in here:

I think that was a touching, lovely ceremony the 49ers put on for former wide receiver Dwight Clark, who has ALS and appeared with 37 of his former teammates at halftime of, fittingly, the Dallas-San Francisco game Sunday in Santa Clara. When the team asked him what he wanted to do, seeing that so many people wanted to see him and honor him, Clark said, “I just want to see my teammates.” As Clark said Sunday: “And the 49ers heard that and flew in all these players so I could see them one more time.” With his strength in decline and struggling with his speech, Clark thanked his mates and his fans in an emotional speech that brought owner Eddie DeBartolo to tears. I have a feeling he wasn’t the only one.

That was from Peter King's column.

So for the second year in a row, the Patriots end the Falcons season.  

Pats played- easily- their best game of the season, dominating in all 3 phases of the game.  They ran about as well as they have all season behind Lewis, Burkhead and Gillislee; Brady was dynamite with a 121 rating; the D played great holding the Falcons to 7 points, none of them meaningful; held Atlanta to a gross 2-9 on 3rd down and 1-3 on 4th.  Pats special teams was great especially a FG block which set the tone for the game.  

But Atlanta is done.  They looked utterly cooked all game and have been hapless since the second half last week against the Dolphins.  Atlanta was held to something like 0 points over 90 minutes of play.  and they stunk Sunday.  What was that play calling?  Go for it once on 4th down?  You are showing that you don't fear the Pats D.  Going for it twice?  Ah... maybe you reek of desperation.  And the jet sweep on 4th down?  On the goal line?  You are letting Kyle van Noy dominate you?  12 men on the filed?  Stupid helmet-to-helmet contact?   Overthrowing receivers?  What was going on out there?  Julio Jones had a game.  And Ryan didn't play poorly, but her sure as hell didn't ELEVATE anyone else's game.  The D was largely useless and easy to figure out.  And Matt Bryan might as well have PTSD.

Oh, but thankfully, conspiracy theories about the Pats are already swirling.  Fog rolled into Foxboro so Julio Jones has started saying that the Pats intentionally fired fireworks and had their Patriot-constumed players fire off their guns to INCREASE the cloud cover.  I fucking hate stupid people.  

That team - Atlanta - looks like its dead.  They played with ZERO enthusiasm last night; they played with no urgency or energy.  Nothing.  They looked like they knew they were going to lose and did everything to help their eventual murderer get the job done as efficiently as possible- like a surfer covering themselves in duck-sauce to assist Jaws in his eating.  

We watched a TRAGEDY last night.  Atlanta was a fun, exciting GOOD team that was great to watch and put up tremendous numbers and then committed the unpardonable sin of going up 28-3 against the Pats.  In the Superbowl.  And then had to play the rest of that game.  And then they came back to Foxboro basically to ask the Pats to kick the shit out of them one more time. and leave NOTHING.  What is left of the Falcons?  Matt Ryan always had the rep of losing the big game and now he's shell-shocked.  The feisty D is now filled with guys who fuck up and can't stop anything; the coach was once a genius; now he;'s the guy who keeps fucking up against Bill Belichick.  And that locker room is going to start turning on him.  What was once a fun, exciting team is now a morbid old man stumbling around and drooling on itself.  

As for the Pats- I do not know what to think; its their best win and all but I don't imagine they will get any bigger head cases all season than Atlanta.  And they play something like 4 of 5 games on the road.  Frankly, if the Pats play well on that raod stint then they will be the front runner for the AFC. 

But there is still a lot of football left to play.

Except for Atlanta; their done.  

10 hours ago, Triskan said:

Is it possible that Kyle Shannahan was both an awesome play-caller for Atlanta and also not good enough to make Hoyer/Beat-Hard any good?  That seems to be what the universe is telling us. 

It's looking that way.  Shanahan is good enough to make a limited quarterback look pretty good (2009 Schaub, 2012 RG3), or a very good quarterback look excellent (Ryan) but he can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. 

Looking more and more like the Niners should go grab Cousins. The so-called year of the quarterback for the NFL draft is imploding. That being said, they'll probably waste the pick anyway. Maybe they can spend a 4th straight 1st round pick on a mediocre defensive lineman.

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's looking that way.  Shanahan is good enough to make a limited quarterback look pretty good (2009 Schaub, 2012 RG3), or a very good quarterback look excellent (Ryan) but he can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. 

49ers are a shambles, it may be that no one but BB [or a certain guy now coaching in MI] could make them competitive this year...seems a little too soon to be writing Shanahan off as a head coach, but I haven't watched any of their games, so maybe I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

49ers are a shambles, it may be that no one but BB [or a certain guy now coaching in MI] could make them competitive this year...seems a little too soon to be writing Shanahan off as a head coach, but I haven't watched any of their games, so maybe I am wrong.

I'm hardly writing him off.  His track record as an offensive coordinator is excellent; three different quarterbacks have had career years with him.  But a coach can only do so much to help his QB succeed.  At some point the guys have to make plays. 

Archived