NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

29 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, Staley is the only one that comes to mind. 

I'm not sure Harbaugh is really considered to be a great talent evaluator. Lots of misses draft-wise during his Niners stint. It's not 100% clear how much pull he had in the draft room, but I don't think that was any great strength of his. Knowing what to do with the talent he had. I think that was his strength. 

I think he had an eye for qb talent (he was very high on Grapes and I think Carr...maybe that was just me, though, as well as Kaep) but other than that I don't even remember him getting much credit as a talent evaluator. 

He was a brilliant talent developer, as you say. 

21 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I think he had an eye for qb talent (he was very high on Grapes and I think Carr...maybe that was just me, though, as well as Kaep) but other than that I don't even remember him getting much credit as a talent evaluator. 

He was a brilliant talent developer, as you say. 

But he dumped Alex Smith for Kaepernick. Not many people disagreed with him then, but he couldn't get Kaepernick there, while Smith has been good-to-great since then.

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But he dumped Alex Smith for Kaepernick. Not many people disagreed with him then, but he couldn't get Kaepernick there, while Smith has been good-to-great since then.

Kaepernick almost single-handedly carried them to that Super Bowl...the defense was really beat up and missing guys down the stretch, and there and in the playoffs Kaepernick was easily our MVP. He was very much there. Then next year he got us a fingertip away from going back to the SB. People are forgetting how really good he was. Outdueled Brady, Godgers twice, among other things. Sky seemed the limit. 

After that the organization decided to sabotage their own team/coach, turmoil took over and it was a season of distraction and disillusionment and Kaepernick regressed along with pretty much everyone else. 

Without the sabotage, I think Harbaugh continues Kaepernick's ascent. But I love Smith, and was against him losing his job to an injury, so while I'm not sure he could have put the team on his back down the stretch the way Kaep did, I think the team with him and w/o the sabotage would have been just fine for a long haul.  

So we're about 1.3 of the way through the season and what do we know? I'd say we know that the Chiefs and the Eagles are good, but do you really trust them come playoff time, because I don't. We also know that the 49ers, the Giants and the Browns are awful. Let's go around the league with some quick uninformed opinions.

The AFC East

Bills (3-2): Can anyone name 5 players on their team, because I know I can't? Their defense is legit and and they have a decent QB/RB combo,but that's about it. This team has 8-8 written all over it.

Jets (3-2): Don't let that record fool you, this team is garbage. The funny thing about their record is it's so the Jets. They should be tanking, but instead they're goal seems to be to get a draft pick that's slightly too late to get one of the top QB prospects, meaning they'll inevitably reach for someone they shouldn't take.

Patriots (3-2): The Pats are technically in third place, but they'll be fine come the playoffs. Pats fans have cause to be worried though. Brady looks a bit diminished and he's getting beat up, there's injuries all over the play and that defense looks awful. Like I said before, I think they'll win the division, but I doubt they'll get a first round bye.

Dolphins (2-2): To quote a Miami sports journalist. "The Dolphins are the worst 2-2 team in NFL history." They can't score or move the ball. I'll be shocked if they win more than 5 games this season.

The AFC North

Steelers (3-2): Going into the season almost everyone thought this would be the second best team in the AFC. So much for that. The team chemistry is off and Ben looks washed, and worse than that, he seems to think he might be washed. I'd still bet on them to win the division, but I don't think they'll make any noise come the playoffs.

Raves (3-2): This team is a fraud. The defense looks solid, but Joe Flacco looks terrible. They're another 8-8 looking team. I can't believe I used to root for this team. Maybe I can again one day if it gets sold.

Bengals (2-3): Hey, looky here, they're showing some life. I still think they won't have a good record in the end, but hopefully they can make Mex and Nic less sad. Honest question, would Dalton still be in the league if he didn't have A.J. Green?

Browns (0-5): HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The AFC South

Jaguars (3-2): Their defense has been elite, as well as their defense on Bortles. In their last game they ran the ball 19 straight times so he couldn't blow it. Imagine what they could be if they signed Kaep.

Texans (3-2): Even with the injuries, this is the team to beat in the division if Luck can't come back.Watson has been electrifying, and they have a really nice rounded team. Also, it's nice to see Hopkins again. What a difference a competent QB can make.

Titans (2-3): This team has been disappointing. I thought they were gonna be a powerhouse. That's really all I got.

Colts (2-3): The Colts have 2 wins??? How??? Who did Jace bribe??? In all seriousness, they could win the division if Luck comes back soon and can ball .

The AFC West

Chiefs(5-0): The Chiefs are clearly the class of the NFL right now, but I still don't believe in them. I doubt Smith can keep this up, but it does help to have all those weapons around him. Either way, they're a lot of fun to watch.

Broncos (3-1): The Broncos are likely going to be a wild card team and have an amazing defense, but they're still a QB away from winning an Owl. Or maybe not, since they won one before with the corpse of Peyton Manning.

Raiders (2-3): The Raiders have been one of the most disappointing team in the NFL, and worse, Carr didn't look before the injury. And what's happened to Amari Cooper? He seems like an afterthought these days.

Chargers (1-4): Who could have ever thought that moving to L.A. would have blown up in their faces? Oh wait, everyone. They're not as bad as their record, but their not good either. There are three things that are constants in life; death, taxes, and Phillip Rivers down 3 with 30 seconds left on clock on his own 10 yard line.

Ok, so this is taking a lot longer than I expected. I'll leave the NFC to someone else, so long as your recognize that the spirit of this post is to prove that, with a few exceptions, everyone is the same, swimming in a giant pool of meh. And if anyone dares to say the Packers or the Falcons are good, well, all I can say is we're going to need to meet at the playground down the street after school. The Packers are a one man team and if A.A.Ron goes down, they'll be the same as the Colts, and while the Falcons are 3-1, they could just as easily be 1-3.

I've been thinking about Todd Gurley. What a strange and talented young man...

He has awful rush numbers this season and the tape is damning, but he's a legit top back because of the way he's used in the passing game. But he's not like Darren Strokes, a guy who actually rushes like 3 times a game and is a seatback. 

Todd Gurley is a top 5 back even though for all practical purposes he's used as a WR who got confused on where to line up. But not like David Johonson who played WR and RB at the same time. Gurley is a pretty unique entity to me.

He's the RB. He's big, he has good speed, pretty shifty, and great power. 

But that's not a scatback, that's a RB1. No one looks at Gurley and thinks WR or scatback, and he doesn't line up outside all the time like David Johson did. But much like Johnson, Gurley is the guy you go to for a 4th and 1 dive up the middle or a 1st and 10 drive starter. He occupies an unusual place in the offense. 

A traditional RB who gets used in creative ways because the HC just wants to get the ball to his best players where they can succeed.

I dig it.

Glad I didn’t opt for getting my son that Bowman jersey. :crying: 

https://twitter.com/Rob_Lowder/status/918948853809684480

Does not seem to be embedding... but basically, Lynch said he had a trade partner Bowman would not have been happy with.  He gave him a choice of trade or cut and Bo chose the cut.

As painful as this tear down has been, I will say that I’m glad Lynch/Shanahan seem to be doing what’s best for the few vets that are left.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Kaepernick almost single-handedly carried them to that Super Bowl...the defense was really beat up and missing guys down the stretch, and there and in the playoffs Kaepernick was easily our MVP. He was very much there. Then next year he got us a fingertip away from going back to the SB. People are forgetting how really good he was. Outdueled Brady, Godgers twice, among other things. Sky seemed the limit. 

After that the organization decided to sabotage their own team/coach, turmoil took over and it was a season of distraction and disillusionment and Kaepernick regressed along with pretty much everyone else. 

Without the sabotage, I think Harbaugh continues Kaepernick's ascent. But I love Smith, and was against him losing his job to an injury, so while I'm not sure he could have put the team on his back down the stretch the way Kaep did, I think the team with him and w/o the sabotage would have been just fine for a long haul.  

Yeah, I second all of this. As much as I felt Alex Smith got a bit of a raw deal, Kaep was the right move. I'm happy to see Smith have success for sure, but you have to credit much of that with the team around him. Look at last seasons loss to Pittsburgh at home last season. They had no business losing that game. I guess it's fair to attribute some of that to Reid's playcalling as well. He has seemed to have opened up the playbook somewhat this season.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Snip

Alex Smith has been putting out consistently elite QB play for 5 games now; I don't see a particularly compelling reason why he shouldn't be able to remain good enough to at least allow his very talented team to get deep in the playoffs, at the very least, especially given the overall level of play going on in the league currently. 

Also, don't he a ridiculous. The Falcons are clearly a good team, at least comparatively speaking. 

I won't fight you on the Packers, other than to say that this has been a one man team for a long time, and that hasn't stopped them from making them playoffs eight consecutive seasons. Praise be Arodge.

29 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Alex Smith has been putting out consistently elite QB play for 5 games now; I don't see a particularly compelling reason why he shouldn't be able to remain good enough to at least allow his very talented team to get deep in the playoffs, at the very least, especially given the overall level of play going on in the league currently. 

Yeah, KC looks like the prohibitive favorite to me this season. They have literally everything. A very good mobile QB who does not turn the ball over, a very good RB, a good deep threat WR, maybe the best pass catching TE in the league at this point, and a kick returner who can score from anywhere. And a very balanced defense. The line gets pressure, they might have the best LB corp in the game, and they have good cover corners. Not sure how you could ask for much more. I guess their O line is getting a bit thin due to injury, but outside of that, it's been smooth sailing for them thus far. 

How am I all but certain that the team Bowman refused to be traded to was the Colts? I'll tell you.

A couple of things had to be present for that situation to play out in such a way (assuming it did).

1) Bowman has to still be an asset for a team that is going nowhere. CHECK!

2) The 49'ers shopped him to the whole league. CHECK!

3) Of all the teams to be willing to give something up for a 7 year vet with two gruesome injuries on his record and a level of play that has regressed from 'great' to 'good', only one could have offered anything. CHECK!

So who offered what? Well, the what is pretty much irrelevant. 'Cause if there was only one suitor, and the 49'ers ended up taking nothing then Lynch wasn't asking for anything other than a 7th or conditional pick.

So the question is 'who' right?

Who might offer something for a once great but still good player five game into the season and be turned down cold by the player who would rather be jobless? Well, it has to be a team with a need at linebacker. We know that, but we also know that Bowman didn't want to go there, because he wanted to compete for a ring. So a bad team with need at LB who was willing to trade for a guy in-season...

Well, most bad teams aren't trying to acquire an old vet who's value isn't going to be huge until the end of the season at best. But one did. So that tells us a very specific set of teams are the only possibilities. The god-awful-but-think-they-can-be-good ones. And of all the awful teams in the league which one might be convinced they could go on a late-season run where a player like Bowman rounding into form on the playbook would be valuable? What team might think that if they can only add a piece to help a little maybe they can tread water and come out better later in the year? What team might be willing to give up draft capitol for such a faint promise?

I don't know, maybe a team with a head coach who is almost 100% fired if he doesn't win the division? A GM who was supposed to be the next great thing but has already cut like half the people he signed in the offseason and who's defense built entirely on the equivalent of the 6th man from actual good D-lines and Cleveland retreads? Maybe even a QB who has started 'practicing' and prophecies are told around the building that his coming will herald a return to the promised land of the playoffs?

Navarro Bowman has been through the worst of the 49'ers collapse. That is not a man who believes prophecy.

I'm glad the announcers jumped in on some weird shit I just saw in the Atlanta-Miami game. On 3rd and 11 for the Falcons Kiko Alanso (a 260 lbs linebacker) dropped straight down the middle of the field like Ed Reed while the safeties rotated forward so that they were basically on the first down marker in the final seconds pre-snap.

Really weird, never seen anything like that before. I'm interested in seeing if they do it again and how it works against something other than a screen.

Kenny Stills just made one of the greatest defensive plays on the ball I've ever seen and he's a WR.

Cutler chucked an awfully underthrown ball while getting hit and the falcons DB laid out to scoop it out of the dirt, he caught it. It was an INT, and then Stills (who's on the ground 3 yards away) kinda snakes forward and bats the ball into the ground before the DB can really have 'possession'.

It was all nullified for offsetting penalties, but I seriously think Stills made one hell of a play to prevent an INT.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So many dropped passes it's hard to get a bead on 'em. 

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! LOOK AT THE PASSION PIERRE GARCON JUST KNOCKED THE HELMET AND SOUL OFF OF A DEFENDER WHEN HE COULDN'T POSSIBLY GET A FIRST DOWN. AND NOW IT'S A PENALTY AND FIRST AND GOAL!!!!!!!!!!

SLAP MY ASS WITH A POWER CORD AND STICK YOUR FIST IN MY MOUTH, HARVEY. BUT NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM TELLING THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived