Your favorite characters and what that means

One-eyed Misbehavin

All in the title except  

Don't get personal about it.... If you have reasons you identify with a character say "I can identify with him".... Unless it means something to you that you'd really like to share

No Bashing other's characters. Corrections are always welcome but let's not try to debate on opinions.... please. 

Tell us why Jaeharys was your favorite ever. The best King sounds great but unifying the laws into one, ending the super weird Lord's Right, and the building and planning of the Network of roads across the kingdoms sounds better 

I'll try to get more in later I could do this all day but off the dome....

My Obvious: (No Order At All)

Baelor Breakspear- I'll say that his son had it fairly accurate while scolding Dunk. He had not the potential, rather the already evident ability to be a wise,fair,actually concerned, and maybe Best Choice of any man we've seen for the right to rule over and pass judgment on others (If Daavos wasn't blindly loyal to Stannis he possesses similar qualities which I respect as man and character) not saying Daavos would be a good King..... I said he possesses a few similar qualities 

Ned Stark-Including Rhaegar (unless rheagar met with the ghost of high heart on occasion bc that would be cray) the most insane storyline IMHO in the main 5 books. Yeah he's to honorable but you know what? He's that good. Also a great father who is understanding and patient 

Barristan the Bold- The manner he earned his nickname, the badassness, although it hurt the realm duskendale is so epic, he beat maelys the monstrous who is closer to the mountain in strength rather than the hound (yes I said it) no matter the case he took that freak of nature down.

Arya- Not my favorite in the 5 books but rather my favorite of all the material related to ASOIAF. I'll keep it simple and say what I always say that it's my firm belief Arya is the only human (not girl boy adult or child noble or common) who would've survived her tragic storyline until this point. And she is so intelligent and so cool. She is underrated as a comedian even her thoughts are super funny at times. But her self awareness/scouting the situation at hand (better than many adults) and sheer will to be a survivalist make her my favorite of all time.

Ill post more later 

Your favorite characters and what that means:

Alright, I'll list mine.

1. Daenerys Targaryen.  Because I believe she is the best ruler for Westeros, Essos, the Dothraki, and the Ghiscari.  She is strong and very smart.  She brought freedom to the many millions of enslaved men, women, and children.  She is working very hard to end the business and the practice of slavery.   Dany is not only the leading protagonists in the story but she is also the most interesting to me. 
  2. Barristan Selmy.  He's the greatest living knight today.  I am expecting to see him develop further in the next book.  I like the man.  I fear for his safety in Meereen and I desperately hope he makes it back to Westeros to command Dany's forces.
  3. Missandei.  She's mentally sharp and her talent for languages is amazing. 
  4. Drogon.  What can I say, I just love the dragons. 
  5. Rhaegal and Viserion.  Tied for fifth place.
  6. Lord Walder Frey.  Sure, he broke guest rights.  He's the funniest, wittiest person in the story.  Very sharp contrast and a breath of fresh air in dull Catelyn's chapters.

I agree with all you said about Arya, she's definitely one of my favourites.  Probably tied with...

Jaime - what does that say about me?  I can't really put my finger on it.  He's not someone I relate to necessarily, but someone I would be attracted to.  His pragmatism is at odds with conventional ideals of chivalry, but I feel there's a raw honesty there.  He doesn't really care what others think of him, but knows how to use his reputation to his advantage.  He never tries to justify himself or make excuses. He doesn't make a show of what he achieves (he struggles to recognise this himself) and just lets others think what they want.  His vulnerable side is really appealing.  Still, I can't really explain it.

Just wanted to wade on in there with Cat too.  She makes some arguably poor decisions, but so does everyone!  She's tough and wise.  She's a strong female character without reverting to a male role, like Cersei.  (Yeah, that I'm such an empowered woman that I'm really more of a man, not like those other shit women, does my head in).

She plays the role of lady, wife and mother (ok, not step-mother) with grace and dignity, understanding the patriotic society and using her influence wisely within that.  She can act rashly, but no more than most other characters, and often has good reason for it.

People knock her because they see her as a nag, or an interferer, or a dumb emotional woman.  I think they should try putting their preconceptions of a woman-over-30's usefulness (yes, even now) and do a reread :-)

Arya, Cersei and Dany. Resourceful and intelligent* and also fighters and survivors though in different ways. They all have funny mocking thoughts about people. All of them likes "making justice" which I can identify with. And they are brave in a way most people aren't.

* I'm aware Cersei's pretty much drank herself stupid through most of it but I mean, she pretty much singlehandedly stole the IT from house Baratheon right from under their noses...

1- Robert Baratheon. Greatest warrior of his time, made friends of his enemies and was king during the most peacful and prosperous time of Westerosi history. Likes women and heavy drinking. Reminds me of certain legendary athletes, mainly hockey players. Especially the drinking and chasing skirts both during and following the glory days. Also tragic and very entertaining. No idea why people seem to hate him so much in these forums. 

2- Tywin Lannister. Considered the smartest politician of Westeros by even his enemies as well as one of its greatest commanders. Orchestrated the comeback of his house after a disastrous reign by his father. Elimanated his house's biggest rival in the region in the most efficient manner possible while he was still quite young and not even Lord yet. That episode with Shae also shows that he was much more like the Imp than anyone could imagine, was just good at hiding it and most likely drank and whored as much as the son that resembled him most. 

3- Euron Greyjoy. I can not wait to see what this cruel, possibly magical and most definately ambitious BADASS is going to accomplish. If you have read any actual scandinavian sagas, he fits the legendary Viking model quite well. Also Blackbeard pirate type stories. Has the potential to be the most famous Reaver the Ironborn have ever had, and the Ironborn are one of the most entertaining cultures in Westeros. And remember, to them ''good reaving songs'' are very important. He will have many songs.

4- Daenerys Targaryen. Seems I have a very different perception than Here's looking at you, Kid. She stole the unsullied and gained an incredibly powerful powerbase when she decided to ''free'' the slaves. She had no nation, no cities, no armies and just a few people. She kept wondering how she would go home. In one act of treachery, she stole an entire army, she gained an entire ''people'' even larger than any nation and went on to conquer using them. Remember Margaery Tyrell giving food to the smallfolk in Kingslanding to gain their love? Dany went on a whole different level and ''freed'' them. She does not need to feed them, cloth them or even protect them, which she does not. But she has their undying love and zeal in such a level that the prophet Muhammed would be incredibly jealous of her cunning. She is incredibly entertaining, its like in those movies where the super beautiful girl in High School that is super popular is quite dumb but so devious she always gets what she wants. Love It! Can not wait to see her burning more people alive in the future and possibly sleepng with a few more unsavory bad boys. (HOPEFULLY EURON!!!)

Honorable mention to Ned Stark, Walder Frey and the Hound. Show Bronn is also freaking awesome. 

Love this thread! 

My absolute favorite is Arya Stark:

I was a small girl with a big heart. Not heart as in kindness but as in toughness. She is smart & resourceful. She is bad ass in a way only a little girl in a fantasy novel can be. She is a survivor.

Sandor "The Hound" Clegane : 

I particularly like the scenes with Arya & the hound. He's an ass hole & not a good guy most of the time - I know. But he is hilarious sometimes & I don't really relate to him but I get him. He is this big, tough, murderous man but it still hurts him that Sansa won't look at his face. He has this gruff softness to him & was just a really well written character IMO.

Jaime Lannister - if someone would have told me Jaime would end up being one of my favorite characters after aGoT I would have called them a damn liar. He crippled a little boy & killed his king. But then you get into the meat of the situation around the same time his character starts evolving & realize good or bad he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks of him. He operates according to his own moral code & he is content with that. One of my absolute favorite scenes in all of the books is when he returns to save Brienne. Because you know it's sincere. He hasn't been guilted into doing it, he just decides that's what he wants to do. 

• Prince Daemon Targaryen.  The Daemon who fought for Queen Rhaenyra in the dance of the dragons. 
  • Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen.   She has the total package:  brains, beauty, and bravery.  She has compassion but she can be harsh when she needs to be.  She is superior to Robb, Jon, Joffrey, and Cersei in terms of leadership and mental abilities.  She is as close to perfect as a ruling monarch can be.
  • Strong Belwas.  This big guy is not one to think deeply but he is very good at fighting.  He's funny and provides comedy relief.  He's loyal to his queen.  I don't share his culinary tastes but given the times he lives in it is probably normal to relish honeyed locust.  He uses the arakh with great skill, enough skill to have killed many other fighters in the pit. 
  • Visenya Targaryen.  She handled the Arryns quite nicely and took the Eyrie for the Targaryens.  This woman was still riding her dragon past the age where most people walk with a cane.
  • Big Walder Frey.  He's smart and deserve the title Lord of the Crossing in the future.  The boy has a bright future if he can just survive the battle of ice. 

I'm easily moved by pathos, so...

1) Arya - in addition to be moving because of her plight, she goes from 1) plush life amongst the aristocracy to 2) homeless to 3) a refugee trying to hide her identity and gender in jeopardy to 4) lots of turns and tumbles that are tantalizing and then, 5) going off on her own, with quite a few different experiences.

2) Tyrion - a Tyrion chapter in the first three books guaranteed really entertaining stuff. After that... some goodies, but I didn't enjoy it, but nonetheless, pathos.

3) some backing roles. The Hound is wonderful with his, ehmm, hound dog action with Sansa. Then Arya's and the Hound's odyssey...

19 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

All in the title except  

Don't get personal about it.... If you have reasons you identify with a character say "I can identify with him".... Unless it means something to you that you'd really like to share

No Bashing other's characters. Corrections are always welcome but let's not try to debate on opinions.... please. 

Tell us why Jaeharys was your favorite ever. The best King sounds great but unifying the laws into one, ending the super weird Lord's Right, and the building and planning of the Network of roads across the kingdoms sounds better 

I'll try to get more in later I could do this all day but off the dome....

My Obvious: (No Order At All)

Baelor Breakspear- I'll say that his son had it fairly accurate while scolding Dunk. He had not the potential, rather the already evident ability to be a wise,fair,actually concerned, and maybe Best Choice of any man we've seen for the right to rule over and pass judgment on others (If Daavos wasn't blindly loyal to Stannis he possesses similar qualities which I respect as man and character) not saying Daavos would be a good King..... I said he possesses a few similar qualities 

Ned Stark-Including Rhaegar (unless rheagar met with the ghost of high heart on occasion bc that would be cray) the most insane storyline IMHO in the main 5 books. Yeah he's to honorable but you know what? He's that good. Also a great father who is understanding and patient 

Barristan the Bold- The manner he earned his nickname, the badassness, although it hurt the realm duskendale is so epic, he beat maelys the monstrous who is closer to the mountain in strength rather than the hound (yes I said it) no matter the case he took that freak of nature down.

Arya- Not my favorite in the 5 books but rather my favorite of all the material related to ASOIAF. I'll keep it simple and say what I always say that it's my firm belief Arya is the only human (not girl boy adult or child noble or common) who would've survived her tragic storyline until this point. And she is so intelligent and so cool. She is underrated as a comedian even her thoughts are super funny at times. But her self awareness/scouting the situation at hand (better than many adults) and sheer will to be a survivalist make her my favorite of all time.

Ill post more later 

1. Dany - I enjoy reading her POVs the most.  She's the star of the story.  The mother of dragons, the breaker of chains, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the First Men, and the Rhoynar, Khaleesi of the great grass sea. 
  2. Theon - I used to not like Theon, but after thinking he was in all but name a captive of the Starks. I now see why he did what he did to the Starks. 
  3. Jorah - The finest example of a gray character.  Capable of slaving but just as capable of helping to free slaves.  Redeemed himself when he chose to serve Dany.
  4. Doran - Patient and careful.  Perhaps too careful.  I like him because he's the most anti Lannister person in the plot. 
  5. Bowen - Because he stuck 'im with the pointy end.  Loyal man of the watch for most of his life.  Forced into a difficult situation by his erratic commander. 

On October 4, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Sigella said:

Arya, Cersei and Dany. Resourceful and intelligent* and also fighters and survivors though in different ways. They all have funny mocking thoughts about people. All of them likes "making justice" which I can identify with. And they are brave in a way most people aren't.

* I'm aware Cersei's pretty much drank herself stupid through most of it but I mean, she pretty much singlehandedly stole the IT from house Baratheon right from under their noses...

Absolutely. These 3 will roast you lol 

On October 4, 2017 at 11:05 PM, 300 H&H Magnum said:
  • Prince Daemon Targaryen.  The Daemon who fought for Queen Rhaenyra in the dance of the dragons. 
  • Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen.   She has the total package:  brains, beauty, and bravery.  She has compassion but she can be harsh when she needs to be.  She is superior to Robb, Jon, Joffrey, and Cersei in terms of leadership and mental abilities.  She is as close to perfect as a ruling monarch can be.
  • Strong Belwas.  This big guy is not one to think deeply but he is very good at fighting.  He's funny and provides comedy relief.  He's loyal to his queen.  I don't share his culinary tastes but given the times he lives in it is probably normal to relish honeyed locust.  He uses the arakh with great skill, enough skill to have killed many other fighters in the pit. 
  • Visenya Targaryen.  She handled the Arryns quite nicely and took the Eyrie for the Targaryens.  This woman was still riding her dragon past the age where most people walk with a cane.
  • Big Walder Frey.  He's smart and deserve the title Lord of the Crossing in the future.  The boy has a bright future if he can just survive the battle of ice. 

Absolutely. One of the coolest people in the entire series. 

Theon is my favourite, not even sure I want to get into what that says about me...

I guess I relate to his insecurity and feeling of being an outsider, especially when I was younger. That desire to do something heroic, which I think is a strong but understated theme in his arc, but not really having the direction to do it.

9 hours ago, mankytoes said:

Theon is my favourite, not even sure I want to get into what that says about me...

I guess I relate to his insecurity and feeling of being an outsider, especially when I was younger. That desire to do something heroic, which I think is a strong but understated theme in his arc, but not really having the direction to do it.

Theon is one my faves too. :-)

Jaime: He is fascinating to read once you get his POV. He is sharp and witty, which makes his chapters fun to read. Maybe I like reading about grey characters, most people in real life are some shade of grey.

Brienne: Her chapters are really interesting to read. An ethical person trying to survive in a world where ethics don't mean much.

Catelyn: Loyal to her family, trying to survive in a world that doesn't comport with her sense of honor and justice. I loved reading her chapters.

Ned: Quite alike Catelyn in some respects. His internal conflicts were really interesting to read.

Archived