Modern Day Ubermensch

mankytoes

I've been learning a bit of Neitzsche, and his famous concept of the ubermensch, or overman/superman. This is an intellectual (not physical) person who rejects the traditions of his society, nuy nihilism as well, instead forming his own values, through artistic and intellectual thought and action. I don't follow Neitzsche's philosophy personally (and I'm not even sure he wants us to?), but it's an intereting idea.

https://www.stedavies.com/what-would-the-modern-day-overman-look-like/

I think this guy lays out some values nicely.

It all seems quite abstract, though. I was wondering, who do people see as a modern day ubermensch (I see no reason it couldn't be a woman, while Neitzsche was sexist, or at least anti-feminist, his theory doesn't have to be)? An internet search gave me names from Kanye West to Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski.

Note that if you think of Neitzsche as some kind of Nazi or sadist, that's a pop culture version that is way off.

20 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Donald Trump. Master morality and everything.

Hey, we didn't say anything about the Ubermensch being a good person.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think a populist can be an ubermensch. He's creating his own rules politically, but morally he's appealing to people's base fears and prejudices, which is kind of anti-ubermensch.

The only person that really came to mind for me when I was reading that stuff was Christopher Hitchens, he always gave that total "I don't give a fuck what you think" vibe. And Neitzsche definitely would have approved of the atheism thing.

There is almost certainly no such person, but even if there was, he or she would not be easy to identify because most of the defining properties are internal to the mind. Come back when we've developed a mind-reading machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Kanye West, and article in the Washington Post today https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/philip-k-dick-was-a-sci-fi-prophet-did-he-predict-the-unraveling-of-kanye-west/2017/10/11/e7366ffe-ad78-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.beafab4285b7

theorized that both Kanye and Phillip K Dick suffer/suffered a similar kind of "madness" which may have come on after being exposed to nitrous oxide at a dental appointment - both has "symptoms" right after a dentist visit. These "symptoms" persisted for years.  The "symptoms" basically consisted of a personality change and of writing or doing unusual things or things uncharacteristic of themselves.  Pretty unusual side effect of nitrous oxide, if you ask me. 

Neitzsche was beyond "sexist or at least anti-feminist".  He was a misogynist.   

16 hours ago, LindaElane said:

Speaking of Kanye West, and article in the Washington Post today https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/philip-k-dick-was-a-sci-fi-prophet-did-he-predict-the-unraveling-of-kanye-west/2017/10/11/e7366ffe-ad78-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.beafab4285b7

theorized that both Kanye and Phillip K Dick suffer/suffered a similar kind of "madness" which may have come on after being exposed to nitrous oxide at a dental appointment - both has "symptoms" right after a dentist visit. These "symptoms" persisted for years.  The "symptoms" basically consisted of a personality change and of writing or doing unusual things or things uncharacteristic of themselves.  Pretty unusual side effect of nitrous oxide, if you ask me. 

Neitzsche was beyond "sexist or at least anti-feminist".  He was a misogynist.   

It doesn't let me read that, but it seems fairly weak, I mean most people have had that, either medically or recreationally, at some point, right? It's a very popular festival drug over here in England. On the other hand, I have had some really hardcore effects from it, although they only last about ten seconds. I do remember Neitzsche saying that the ubermensch would be disliked and seen as weird by much of society, so articles like that certainly don't hurt either of their cases.

My point there is like a "death of the author" kinda thing, where we can look at the theory without following exactly Neitzsche's interpretation. In fact it would seem un-Neitzsche like to just follow his instruction.

Archived