Why did Aegons dragons take Westeros by surprise ?

Stormking902

I mean the Targs were living on Dragonstone for hundreds of years yet we hear of no talk of lords wanting to visit DS and take a look at the amazing beasts that brought the WORLD to its knees, and even better yet seaking out an mariage alliance with the Targaryans to possibly you know easily conquer Westeros.

If I was lord of DS pre conquest I would show up to Tournments on Dragon back looking for hoes and watch all the nobilty ooooohhh and awwwww over my freakin awesomeness. 

3 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

I mean the Targs were living on Dragonstone for hundreds of years yet we hear of no talk of lords wanting to visit DS and take a look at the amazing beasts that brought the WORLD to its knees, and even better yet seaking out an mariage alliance with the Targaryans to possibly you know easily conquer Westeros.

If I was lord of DS pre conquest I would show up to Tournments on Dragon back looking for hoes and watch all the nobilty ooooohhh and awwwww over my freakin awesomeness. 

Not sure but I stumbled across this:

Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold's sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them. Archmaester Perestan has put forward a different, more plausible speculation, suggesting that the Valyrians had in ancient days reached as far as Oldtown but suffered some great reverse or tragedy there that caused them to shun all of Westeros thereafter.

The Westerlands, AWOIAF

And this:

Before the Doom of Valyria, maesters and archmaesters oft traveled to the Freehold in search of answers, but none were ever found. Septon Barth's claim that the Valyrians came to Westeros because their priests prophesied that the Doom of Man would come out of the land beyond the narrow sea can safely be dismissed as nonsense, as can many of Barth's queerer beliefs and suppositions.

The Reach: Oldtown, AWOIAF

I found this strange too. In World of Ice and Fire it says that there was some prophecy that the Valyrians believed in, a prophecy that said that if they would go to Westeros something awful would happen. I believe, however, that prior to the Doom, the Valyrians simply were not very interested and tried to first conquer Essos. After all, Essos is closer and at the time I think richer and more developed. After the Doom, the Targs were still involved with affairs to the east.

We know that Aegon and Visenya traveled to Westeros, visited Oldtown and probably other places and they likely did so on the backs of their dragons. 

I do have a question. Might the reluctance of the Valyrians to conques Westeros have something to do with skinchangers and their powers? Did they fear the dragons could be stolen?

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Skinchanging dragons would make them useless as a weapon 

Yeah it totally would! Having them turned into wights might not be great either...

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Yeah. I can't imagine that everything about skinchanging told so far would have no implication with dragons 

Yeah remember what Haggon told Lump

5 hours ago, ChuckPunch said:

The same way the nukes took Japan by surprise I'd expect. 

I had heard the Japanese had their own nuclear program. Obviously not as far along as the US/Allied forces Manhattan project.

There were not that many Targaryens to start with.  It's not as if there were a lot of single and available Targaryens available to form marriage alliance with.  The preferred alliance in those days were with the Velaryons. 

Westeros is home to a form of magic that might be the only real coutermeasure against the dragonlords; Skinchangers. Even if a warg could not successfully subdue a dragon, he could probably make it buck and throw its rider from the air. Failing that, a warg could do the same to the rider. The threat of skinchangers would have been mostly ended by the Andal invasion, but the Valyrians would not necessarily know that. Westeros might just have been that wild place where their dragons went mad beneath them.

I do not think they were taken by surprise. More like, they thought they could actually fight dragons. I mean, the Longbow seems to be used in every region of the 7 Kingdoms? They most likely thought that with several thousand Longbows, they could deal with the dragon while their superior numbers of Infantry / Cavalry ended the battles.

Also, they were living on DS peaceful for many years and had no cause to invade, why would they?

The two great inmediate threats for the Targs could have been the Lannisters and the Gardeners, both kingdoms not known historically to take offensive actions against invaders but prefering diplomacy. On the other hand, the stormlands was a fading kingdom, the riverlands were held by Hoare and people were apparently sick of him and the future crownlanders were minor lords waiting for a leader. Oh, and the Arryn were so easily vulnerable to dragons I guess they didn't even bother with them until it was necessary to make a point. 

My guess is that Aegon knew it was time. He was young and had the element of surprise. Plus dragons.

Archived