October 2017 - Ghosts and Monsters and Clowns!

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

It's wonderful, isn't it?! It was such an excellent novel with a perfect ending that I've been hesitant to pick up any of McMurtry's other novels in the series for fear of them diminishing my appreciation and love for Lonesome Dove. I would also recommend the tv adaptation of the novel with Robert Duvall as Gus and Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow. It's an excellent adaptation.

I wasn't quite as huge a fan of Lonesome Dove as you, but having read the first few lines of the second one, you've definitely made the right decision there.

Denise Gess and William Lutz's Firestorm at Peshtigo: A Town, Its People and the Deadliest Fire in American History. Of all my October reads this was the scariest. What fire can do is truly horrifying. An estimated 1500 -2500 people on both sides of Green Bay killed. October 8 1871, the same day as the Chicago Fire. Nature and human activity combined to create a perfect storm.

Last Thursday I finished Hans J. Hillerbrand's The Division of Christendom: Christianity in the Sixteenth Century.  With the 500th Anniversary of the beginning of the Protestant Reformation happening at the end of the month, I wanted to read something that was a bit more theology-based history, though there is the political-societal elements discussed as well but emphasized, including the Catholic (Counter-)Reformation in detail.  That what in mind, I liked how Hillerbrand approached the whole period and that it was a great read.

Friday I started Carlos M.N. Eire's Reformations: The Early Modern World, 1450-1650.  While Hillerbrand's book was more focused on the religious aspects, Eire's book will be approaching Reformation in multiple views and covering a lot more time...it's also about 400 pages longer(!).

Also last week I read Blood Stain Volume Three by Linda Sejic, this is a graphic novel adaptation of her webcomic of the same name.  This volume concludes the first "book"/story arc of the whole project, as a fan of the webcomic I absolutely love it.

I finished Ghost Story by Peter Straub awhile back.  I really enjoyed it, it had some genuinely spooky moments, and I loved the way the story built.  Now I'm reading Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz, still trying to decide if the monsters are real or if our narrator is just grade A crazy.  To finish out my horror reading for the year, I will read The Troop by Nick Cutter next.

Finished River of Teeth and I'm tackling the sequel.  It's pretty horrifying that this nearly happened.  Apparently the hippo act failed in Congress by one vote.  One vote saved us from a feral hippo infestation in Louisiana.  :shudders:

32 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

Finished River of Teeth and I'm tackling the sequel.  It's pretty horrifying that this nearly happened.  Apparently the hippo act failed in Congress by one vote.  One vote saved us from a feral hippo infestation in Louisiana.  :shudders:

Reminds me of this: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/160510-pablo-escobar-hippos-colombia/

22 hours ago, Astromech said:

OMG.  Terrifying.  I finished "Taste of Marrow"  and started Murderbot Diaries 1 All Systems Red.  The writing is getting in the way of the story a little bit. The Murderbot talks like a teenager.  :(

So I want to read more of the Old Man's War series. I've only read the first book and my library has the 3rd and 4th books (Last Colony and Zoe's Tale) -- but they don't have the 2nd book The Ghost Brigades. Can I skip it or should I wait? I don't believe the books have to be read in a sequential order (can't remember my source for that) but am wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation.

56 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

So I want to read more of the Old Man's War series. I've only read the first book and my library has the 3rd and 4th books (Last Colony and Zoe's Tale) -- but they don't have the 2nd book The Ghost Brigades. Can I skip it or should I wait? I don't believe the books have to be read in a sequential order (can't remember my source for that) but am wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation.

You definitely don't want to skip Ghost Brigades; the first three should be read in order (I haven't read the last two yet).

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You definitely don't want to skip Ghost Brigades; the first three should be read in order (I haven't read the last two yet).

Got it, thanks! I was able to request it from an affiliated library system so I'll be able to read it in sequence. 

Archived