Aussie Politics: Please post your response (No stamp needed)

Yukle

Poor Malcolm. Pity he wanted to introduce a co-payment for Medicare; had that happened it would have been more expensive for him to get a spine surgically inserted.

Well the ACL is already prepping for a loss 

It's a mixed-emotions kind of day. I'm glad this part is about to be over but... I'd really be a whole lot happier not knowing the exact percentage of Australians that hate me. I'm not sure there is any possible yes vote that could actually make that part feel ok, 40% or 30% still seems far too high.

So anyway we're headed to the pub to watch the announcement. 9.30 is a perfectly respectable time to start drinking yeah?

Good to see YES win. I'm surprised it was so low. Good to see a high turnout.

The breakdown of electorates is interesting. The ones I was interested in:

Warringa - Tony Abbott: 75% yes. Lol

Western Sydney is predominantly no. A few almost 70% no, even a 73% no in one division.

Western Qld - no surprise no is high there but closer than I expected.

I will be surprised if parliament doesn't screw it up.

WA got a better result than NSW!? I’m proud to be a sandgroper today.

A slightly weird but overall good feeling. I think we’d have gotten over 65% if it was a compulsory vote (older Australians had the highest rates of participation).

Anyone know what the gender split was or is that not being released?

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Anyone know what the gender split was or is that not being released?

At this stage only the response rate, not what the responses were, has been released. More women than men responded although it is unclear how they voted.

Just found out we are not going to get the yes-no breakdowns for age and gender. Fair enough in some ways, though from a statistical point of view I don’t see why those breakdowns are less relevant than geography (which was released).

Great news.  Now pass the Smith bill, and get it done.  I'm really worried that the conservatives are going to fight tooth and nail, and might just win, in getting a whole heap of restrictions and buts added to the final bill. 

I think they will yell and scream but ultimately something close to the Smith bill will pass. I think if the vote had been closer it might have been a different story.

But even Christensen has said he would abstain only (not oppose) if the Smith bill gets voted on.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Pretty surprised at Newie's percentages. Can't say I am too surprised at Western Sydney results, but didn't think it would be THAT big of a gap :/

Eitherway, congrats to the LGBT crew! I'm sure it was a stressful time.

Blaxland hurts. 

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

WA got a better result than NSW!? I’m proud to be a sandgroper today.

Yeah I can't believe WA was the most favourable state after Victoria. Also that Liberal electorates were more favourable on average than ALP ones. The other correlations I've seen (income, education and whether or not you're an immigrant) made sense but those two surprised me.

14 hours ago, brook said:

Well the ACL is already prepping for a loss 

Well I am a bit annoyed I only found out about the mandatory husband clause from the good folks at the ACL. Seems like something the yes campaign should've told me about before I voted.

19 hours ago, Paxter said:

Just found out we are not going to get the yes-no breakdowns for age and gender. Fair enough in some ways, though from a statistical point of view I don’t see why those breakdowns are less relevant than geography (which was released).

ABC found a demographer that has done an analysis to pull out some of that data but without a raw breakdown its restricted to broad trends.

Archived