Blade Runner 2049 - more human than human [Spoilers!]

Kalbear

On 10/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, Corvinus said:

What? I didn't know that. Considering how part of the score sounded similarly to Arrival's, I was sure it was Jóhannsson. He and Villeneuve worked together on several movies.

Still making why way through this thread after just getting back from the theater, but Jóhannsson dropped out in August for unnamed reasons.

A few random things

Yeah, the music was LOUD. A certain points in the film it just felt like a wave rolling over you.

I think Deckarrds daughter immune thing was a cover, and that she was giving replicants the horse memory on purpose to unite them for the residence, but that might be me talking out of my butt.

I also totally called the twist of the child actually being a girl and that the girl in the bubble would be the daughter. I NEVER get plot twists correct in movies like these so I'm proud of that one, considering I went in completely cold.

Also, there was a lot of speculation on the net about how the "twist" was going to be that K was a replicant, so when It's stated that he is in the first few minutes I laughed a bit at that.

Also love the bit with Leto and Ford where hee's like you're a replicant...maybe!

Also, Leto's role was written for David Bowie. :(

Also the blackout thing was funny if you guys have ever read any of the ebooks threads over in the Lit section here :P

I will have more thoughts, but I want to marry this movie and make babies with it.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:24 AM, Фейсал said:

The messianic undertones were present in the first movie? biblical imagery is an often present undertone to cyber punk and dystopian sci-fi.

Uh yeah, the first film is mostly based around Paradise Lost.

Also, Sean Young did apparently work on the film and worked with her body double on how to move correctly.

Edits: That guardian article linked in the OP is something else. >.>

I cant decided if I like the soundtrack or not, it certainly worked very well at certain points.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh yeah, the first film is mostly based around Paradise Lost.

Also, Sean Young did apparently work on the film and worked with her body double on how to move correctly.

Edits: That guardian article linked in the OP is something else. >.>

I cant decided if I like the soundtrack or not, it certainly worked very well at certain points.

There is a also a very short video clip in that same sequence of the real Sean Young (30 years ago) from the original film.

There is also some indication that she did ADR for that scene, but that's not clear. She seems to have said something about the film since it's opening, but I can't find a thing where she has been asked about her involvement.

One thing, her name appears by itself in the closing credits.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

No chance Hoeks gets a nomination.

It getting to be hard to figure the Academy these days.

I never figured 'genre' films like Arrival , Max Max: Fury Road and The Martian, even with the expansion would get a nomination.

Thinking that Blade Runner 2049 will, not sure what it will be up against.

(I am not too taken with any nominations for best film in the last two years, not that any were bad films. Only film that stuck with me that I thought worthy in the last two years was The Big Short.)

I'd be shocked if BR2049 didn't get and win cinematography. Nothing else released for years can even compete. Visual effects might also be a tie-in, but we haven't seen the next Star Wars movie yet (or Thor).

Best Picture is a bit more of a stretch, but I can easily see a nomination happening, especially after Arrival.

I got the impression that Stelline's memory implants were making the replicants less completely obedient than they were designed to be. Perhaps that's the reason giving them real memories was illegal.

Shit, I didn't even think of that. Excellent catch.

On 2017-10-12 at 9:12 PM, WarGalley said:

I'd say S1 Westworld tackled the problem better though it has a ways to go.

S1 of Westworld was okay. But not nearly as good as some make it out to be. The last episode was good, but the five previous episodes were pretty mediocre. As for the questions it poses, I disagree. 

Battlestar Galactica is one of the best shows ever made and it's first two and a half seasons are some of the best episodes you can see, in my opinion. I don't know if you've seen BSG in its entirety, and it might just be that we have differing opinions. But BSG presents its characters, both humans and cylons in such a way that I think it has more to say about AI and consciousness in maybe its introduction episode, which is 3 hours, than Westworld has in its first season. To be honest, Westworld had a lot of potential but it is a bit of style over substance in my opinion. Just because you have characters that speak about these high concepts (and some of those scenes in WW was great, especially Hopkins and Wrights monologues) WW feels kind of like it talks about these things, but not shows it. BSG shows you what these dilemmas really are. It shows us the best and worst in humanity from different sides, and what war and apocalypse can bring out. Westworld has not done that yet, and I'm not sure it will.  

On 10/15/2017 at 3:08 PM, felice said:

I got the impression that Stelline's memory implants were making the replicants less completely obedient than they were designed to be. Perhaps that's the reason giving them real memories was illegal.

Man! I too missed that. That is clever. Also Steeline is a sub contractor for the Wallace Corp!

Werthead,

Dunkirk absolutely does compete, and I think von Hoytema is the biggest threat... well, that, and the fact that the film has under-performed in the box office; the Academy doesn't like losers. Also heard that Vittorio Storaro's work on Wonder Wheel is spectacular, but he already has a bevy of Oscars on his mantle so it feels rather unfair (for various reasons, I don't think he's a genuine threat to win, but you never know).

43 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'd be shocked if BR2049 didn't get and win cinematography.

That would be wonderful! It's crazy that the great Roger Deakins has never won an academy award!

The train robbery sequence in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of my favourite pieces of cinematography from any film.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:29 AM, polishgenius said:

There's no proof for it but I think it's quite likely. From this film, the biggest hint for

me is the way Wallace 'reviews the latest model'- model being a clue-word in itself there because that's normally used in a production context for a line of products, not an individual and because in that moment he also refers to there being millions of replicants and it seems unlikely he'd have the time to review each one personally. Or that from what we've seen of how they're designed, in both films, and the seeming size of the workforce of both companies couldn't possibly serve to make each one of those millions individually.

It's not hard fact but I think it's a totally workable theory.

Not necessarily. They use that term in the first movie too to differentiate between N6 and N8 etc yet they're all different.

Some ramblings about K and Joi:

She loved him, genuinely. What she felt for him was ''real'' but she could not act outside the confines of her own programming - which is why the big AI calling him a ''good Joe'' is so relevant; K is supposed to act within his purpose by eliminating Deckard but he doesn't. He proves his autonomy and his humanity by breaking the confines of his purpose.

I had the same view, FWIW. The appearances of replicants are randomized within parameters, unless some custom job is wanted, but they all have the "same" inner-workings, which is what makes them models. I think if they wanted to sell the idea that each model also had only so many variations, they would have made that point in either film by having us see this directly. As it stands, when K is reviewing the N8's not a one of them looks alike, and near as I can tell all the N9's he was introduced to were unique. The faux-Rachael is the first time we've ever had a duplicate presented to us.

Dunkirk absolutely does compete, and I think von Hoytema is the biggest threat... well, that, and the fact that the film has under-performed in the box office; the Academy doesn't like losers. Also heard that Vittorio Storaro's work on Wonder Wheel is spectacular, but he already has a bevy of Oscars on his mantle so it feels rather unfair (for various reasons, I don't think he's a genuine threat to win, but you never know).

BR2049 has officially broken even - it just went past its budget - but of course it won't really go into profit until it makes back the marketing as well. But the film has another ten days to run pretty much unopposed before another big movie comes out (Thor) and it'll score big on home media release. So the film definitely now won't be seen as a flop or a failure. Given the box office of some of the movies the Oscars have rewarded, I'm not too sure on your thesis that they only financial success, as they've snubbed it in the past.

Still, Best Picture may be a long shot but cinematography I think is quite possible, since there will be pressure to give to Deakins as a career award as well.

I keep reading things on the net(ha, there's the first problem) about how K was a decoy and the clone/copy of Deckard's real daughter, and while this is certainly a film that can have multiple interpretations, that just strikes me as wrong. The whole theory seems to rest on K being the only one with the memory of the horse, but it's show that at least one other person(the, uh, hooker) has that memory plus when the leader of the rebellion says we all thought it could be us I got the impression that all replicates that had rebelled had that memory. Also wouldn't the daughter have had a bigger reaction when he shows it to her?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

BR2049 has officially broken even - it just went past its budget - but of course it won't really go into profit until it makes back the marketing as well. But the film has another ten days to run pretty much unopposed before another big movie comes out (Thor) and it'll score big on home media release. So the film definitely now won't be seen as a flop or a failure. Given the box office of some of the movies the Oscars have rewarded, I'm not too sure on your thesis that they only financial success, as they've snubbed it in the past.

Still, Best Picture may be a long shot but cinematography I think is quite possible, since there will be pressure to give to Deakins as a career award as well.

Passes beyond my understanding that a 'big' film has to have 2 multiplier at the box office before it makes a good profit. Marketing costs seem out of line for even the biggest films that are successes.

I recall , not going looking for it, that Warner did made a profit on Blade Runner but it took a long time. Mainly by way of VHS and DVD and continued interest in the film. Probably the case here but we do live in the Age of Impatience.

3 hours ago, JonArryn said:

S1 of Westworld was okay. But not nearly as good as some make it out to be. The last episode was good, but the five previous episodes were pretty mediocre. As for the questions it poses, I disagree. 

l.  

I agree, I grew tired of the "Westworld Theme Park' ... ground hog day looping, on the other hand the story within the story about Delos INC. I thought was fascinating. The problem , as I see it, with season 2 is they are going to have start tap dancing , tho they could prove me wrong with a lot of imagination.

I remember when watching the first season of Mr. Robot , I thought, well that's that. Season 2 cued up an even denser and more involving story, I was amazed. That is a deep show!

Archived