Blade Runner 2049 - more human than human [Spoilers!]

Kalbear

7 hours ago, boojam said:

They sure leave that ambiguous. The place where the horn could have been is either a notch for the horn or just a 'chip' out of the head. 

By the by the residual radiation in the horse must be trace, because when K arrives in Las Vegas his sensors say 'radiation levels normal'.

Say, watching a third time, the conversation of Deckard and K about the past does not make it clear that Deckard was not there at the time of birth. ... could have been there maybe even a year or two after wards. Ann could have been 4, 5 or 6 when put in the 'orphanage' ... K's spoken words to Mr. Cotton at the orphanage about dates don't seem to square with other dates... 

Then the whole orphanage thing seems odd, there was really a girl , he was looking for a boy and the records show there were twins and the girl died and the boy disappears ... gad!... all kinds of messing with records.

He already said he didn't meet his child, he was long gone by then. 

I thunk him and Rachel were togethe in Vegas, then she left for the farm and Deckard stayed there in Vegas 

1 hour ago, the hound of sansa said:

Like, why did Sapper and freysa give the child away to that awful orphanage? 

Good question. It doesn't seem like a natural pathway to getting her set up with a fake identity as an upper class kid who'll go on to work with replicant memories. My guess is they temporarily lost her while being hunted by blade runners, and she just ended up there like any other orphan, until Sapper and Freysa eventually tracked her down and recovered her.

And what was the deal with the identical DNA? Who is that boy? Does he even exist?

He's presumably random nobody from the orphanage; they replaced Stelline's real DNA profile with a copy of his when they retrieved her and faked her death.

And i think Wallace has not thought it through very well. If replicants start procreate, he might be out of a job.

Are farmers out of a job when cows procreate? As long as he gets to claim ownership of the offspring, then he's going to be doing just fine.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

He already said he didn't meet his child, he was long gone by then. 

I thunk him and Rachel were together in Vegas, then she left for the farm and Deckard stayed there in Vegas 

We don't know what month Deckard and Rachael leave LA in 2019, say it is Jan. or Feb. , then they are together rest of 2019 , all of 2020, and sometime into 2021. (I am going to have see the dialog of that conversation of K and Deckard). So Ann is born

Even if Deckard is not there , boy!, they packed a lot of planning into 2020. From the short "Blackout 2022" a missile instillation has been infiltrated and some , is it a replicant rebel?, sabotages the system resulting in the EMP. In K's dialog with the guy at the Walace corporation , guy then says?, only paper records were left? When they go to the vault the guy pulls out what looked like some kind of 'solid state' record thing, which seemed to be on Rachael tho it is only minimal information. Seems it had to be because Luv takes K to another vault which stores 'scrambled?" (looked again like solid state) records, the Deckard-Rachael meeting, K has an interesting remark there! to which Luv seems to respond.  (The penetration of the Tyrell corp by that girl and guy seemed more Anime riff than something that happened on that timeline.) I mean all this goes back to Deckard and Rachael meeting Sapper and Freysa , when? Sapper and Freysa are Nexus 8, sent off world , see action, and come back to Earth , maybe 2019 to 2020? Could be. Seems the replicant underground would have to exist already. All these plans are made when it is known that Rachael is pregnant, I guess. Loss of electronic records is one thing, when did the false record in the 'DNA Bank' get made? I don't know why everything gets crammed into 2020-2022, make it 2020 to 2025.

Between 6/10/21. and 2049 Ann is protected, raised? till old enough to go to 'orphanage' , which is another ploy to hide Ann, for how long?, from there Ann is educated, gets a PhD and is 'hidden' with the Wallace Corp as a scientist entrepreneur with a lab.

Whew!

To me  the main thing is there is a hand-that-rocks-the-cradle shadow replicant underground that is able to trump even the Wallace corporation before there is even a Wallace Corp!

I like it.

3 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

I saw the film yesterday for the first time, finally! And i have some questions.
Like, why did Sapper and freysa give the child away to that awful orphanage? 
And what was the deal with the identical DNA? Who is that boy? Does he even exist?
And i think Wallace has not thought it through very well. If replicants start procreate, he might be out of a job.

It seemed it was part of the plan to hid Ann. It's not clear how long Ann was there. It also just does not seem possible Ann was placed there as an infant. Freysa and Sapper had to care for her for a while.

My sense of things is that the DNA record was a fabrication by the replicant under ground to kill any trail about Rachael's child. In that scene , got the impression that K was the first and maybe the last observer to ever look at those records. Man! for the underground to go that deep into 'safing' Ann's identity is very interesting.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Regarding her childhood and her dodgy immune system. Does that gel? Her story was that she could have gone off-world but had to stay here because of her weak immune system with her parents. Did the film say when this illness took effect? Because I'd imagine the living conditions in Oliver Twist 2049 would have you dropping dead pretty quickly with a compromised immune system. I vaguely recall her being adopted. Anyway there's a lot going on with that character and whether she has any idea what is/isn't real.

I don't remember her saying anything about being adopted, but she said she went into the bubble at age 8. 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

I don't remember her saying anything about being adopted, but she said she went into the bubble at age 8. 

I will have to listen again, missed that age 8 thing. all who have had 'bubble boy' compromised immune systems have it from birth, yeah I can see that would not work in the orphanage.

28 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Blade Runner takes place during November 2019 boojam :)

So they got the rest of 2019 and 2020 together. Not much more than that :( hopefully most of 2021 together too. 

Its in the opening credits. Usually no month is given for a future fiction movie, a specific date occurs in the BR2049. 

(Actually its a puzzle as to why most Hollywood science fiction uses specific dates, when the prose form , ,most times, puts it in an indefinite future.)

Boy things really get bunched tougher. It also means Nexus 8's were manufactured and went off world and came back and did stuff between November 2019 and June 2021, whew. They could have thrown a few extra years in there! 

7 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

I maybe just assumed she was adopted by reading between the lines. K visits the orphanage to ask "Fagin" if he has notes on the kid. "Fagin" thought K was there to buy/adopt a kid - so I just thought that's what went down.

5 hours ago, boojam said:

I will have to listen again, missed that age 8 thing. all who have had 'bubble boy' compromised immune systems have it from birth, yeah I can see that would not work in the orphanage.

Makes me wonder whether she really had a compromised immune system - unless she caught something at the orphange? And it seems as much of a miracle she survived into adulthood as being born given the seeminly random events that happened to her.

47 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

At this point I see Blade Runner universe as a totally alternate universe and not ever supposed to predict us in 2049 lol

That is sure true now. I wonder if Wikipedia will list it as alternate universe science fiction?

I say that because back when Gravity came out Wiki listed it as an alternate universe , which it exactly is, then dropped the description. Dont know why.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, in the Blade Runner universe Atari and PanAm remained superbrands and the USSR still exists. They're not even pretending it's our future any more.

Exactly. It's totally alternative universe. Which I think makes it a lot better and won't date it. 

Unless we start building advanced artificial humans, figure out they're too dangerous and start hunting them, colonize other planets, and entirely change LA's landscape, including the environment, in 2018, I would say yeah, this is set in an alternate universe.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Exactly. It's totally alternative universe. Which I think makes it a lot better and won't date it. 

You know that is especially true for 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

When I saw that film in 1968 that was my take then. No way that future would happen , even approximately, and it didn't.

It means that the date 2019 and the date 2049 exist only in a universe next door..

2049 is of the few , maybe only, SF movies where one needs take dates. 

Two standard operational procedures exist in prose  science fiction, going back to the 1930s. 1 give a date 200 to 300 years in the future or no date at all just let the setting and milieu define it as 'future fiction'. The latter is common , on the page, oddly, STAR WARS essentially used it. . In fact SW is really set in an alternate universe without saying it.

I mean Blade Runner could have been set in 2119 that would have been a better cover.... but there is some odd thinking in Hollywood that it has to be set near the 'present'.... I don't know why.

27 minutes ago, boojam said:

You know that is especially true for 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

When I saw that film in 1968 that was my take then. No way that future would happen , even approximately, and it didn't.

It means that the date 2019 and the date 2049 exist only in a universe next door..

2049 is of the few , maybe only, SF movies where one needs take dates. 

Two standard operational procedures exist in prose  science fiction, going back to the 1930s. 1 give a date 200 to 300 years in the future or no date at all just let the setting and milieu define it as 'future fiction'. The latter is common , on the page, oddly, STAR WARS essentially used it. . In fact SW is really set in an alternate universe without saying it.

I mean Blade Runner could have been set in 2119 that would have been a better cover.... but there is some odd thinking in Hollywood that it has to be set near the 'present'.... I don't know why.

Or 20,000 years, like Dune.

Archived