Let's discuss dragon shit

9 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

In DWD, a man appears before Daenerys in her throne room, carrying a sack with bones in it, claiming it is his child and that Drogon had killed and eaten her. So what do we get from this information? Did the bones pass disgestive system?

Dragons are reptiles, so I guess their shit is similar that of snakes, and here's what it says on a wildlife website:

snake excrement is rather sloppy and haphazard; the solid part of it is poorly formed and filled with fur, teeth, nails, and other materials that could not be digested by the serpent. 

So, yes the bones must've passed through the digestive system. The man must've stalked Drogon for a few days, waited for him to take a dump, and rifled through his waste.

11 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

In DWD, a man appears before Daenerys in her throne room, carrying a sack with bones in it, claiming it is his child and that Drogon had killed and eaten her. So what do we get from this information? Did the bones pass disgestive system?

This sounds similar to the pellets that are produced by owls and other predatory birds.  They have a two staged digestive system where hard to digest materials like fur and beaks and bones gets formed into a compact ball that is puked up.  You can find pellets under the nests of owls that show what their diet consists of. 

3 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

and what part of the book leads you to believe this? 

We are never shown dragon poop in the books, even around Drogon's nest, therefore, Dragons never pooping is as possible as them pooping like any old reptile that doesn't fly, breathe fire or hatch from petrified eggs. The incinerator toilet model is the only one that accounts for the lack of dragon crap in the novels 

22 hours ago, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

“Burnt bones?”
He lifted the sack, and spilled its contents on the marble.
Bones they were, broken bones and blackened. The longer ones had been cracked open for their marrow.

(ADwD, Ch.02 Daenerys I)

So, no, these bones have not passed through a digestive system.

If you have seen the pellet of a bird of prey, you would see that these bones were not part of a pellet. Also, birds of prey shit. The shit is what is left over after the digestion process is complete. The pellet is what couldn't get past the stomach, and gets coughed back up like a furball (birds don't have teeth, remember).

When his mouth opened, she could see bits of broken bone and charred flesh between his black teeth.

(ADwD, Ch.52 Daenerys IX)

Dragons have teeth. They crack the big bones to get at the marrow, all that goes into their gullet is a paste of bone fragments and flesh. They tear the flesh off the smaller bones, leaving them charred and whole.

I think the incinerator gut theory is still plausible, given

“Death comes out of the dragon’s mouth,” Septon Barth had written in his Unnatural History, “but death does not go in that way.”

(ADwD, Ch.57 Tyrion XI) which is, admittedly, a bit cryptic by itself, but better explained by:

Black blood was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped onto the scorched sands. He is fire made flesh, she thought, and so am I.
Daenerys Targaryen vaulted onto the dragon’s back, seized the spear, and ripped it out. The point was half-melted, the iron red-hot, glowing.

It is hot in there.(I don't want to think too hard about gastric processes and how Dragons get nutrients from their food into their bloodstream - I suppose gases are fluids too, but this is making my head hurt)

The father would have been as distressed if his daughter had passed, or if she had been fresh killed and fed to the dragon, or merely burnt on a bonfire and he told she 'had been eaten by a dragon go to the dragon queen for money', to raise the tax his landlord was required to pay to keep their daughter safe as Danerys' cupbearer, and to prevent his landlord from disposing of him and all his children in the same ruthless way.

3 hours ago, Walda said:

I think the incinerator gut theory is still plausible, given

(ADwD, Ch.57 Tyrion XI) which is, admittedly, a bit cryptic by itself, but better explained by:

It is hot in there.(I don't want to think too hard about gastric processes and how Dragons get nutrients from their food into their bloodstream - I suppose gases are fluids too, but this is making my head hurt)

If Drogon's blood is hot enough to melt Iron (2800f) then any food eaten would be incinerated. Thank you very much for finding the quote that confirms my theory! 

From The Rogue Prince....

"The voice belonged to the youngest of his half nephews, Joffrey Velaryon, a boy of three. Always an early riser, Joff had sneaked down from his bed to see his own young dragon, Tyraxes. Afraid that the boy would raise the alarm, Prince Aemond slapped him, shouted at him to be quiet, then shoved him backward into "a pile of dragon droppings."

23 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

A very good question!

Is dragon shit like bird shit? And do they "release" when taking wing to lighten themselves?

Or is it more compact?

And the million Dollar question - can it be used as fertiliser? Or weedkiller?

My theory is that dragon guano - as a product of magical beings - has magical weedkilling properties, the Roundup of Westeros, if you may. The proof is that the Field of Fire is still largely devoid of vegetation.

As dragonshit cut into the profits made by the Citadel from sales of their weedkillers, the Maesters have been slowly plotting to do away with dragons and regain their money making stranglehold on herbicides!

Ha! Maybe that's where ghost grass came from 

14 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I have not read the rogue prince 

We all learn new shit everyday.

It's a very good story though, i recommend to read it when you can. The pile of droppings moment is one of the best.

If i am not wrong it is said somewhere else that the Dragon pit smelled to dragon shit, it could be only in my imagination tough.

The dragon shit matter is settled then, at least we can rest easy now.

7 hours ago, Lord Asher Forrester said:

We all learn new shit everyday.

It's a very good story though, i recommend to read it when you can. The pile of droppings moment is one of the best.

If i am not wrong it is said somewhere else that the Dragon pit smelled to dragon shit, it could be only in my imagination tough.

The dragon shit matter is settled then, at least we can rest easy now.

I guess I have to read it. Luckily, GRRM said that even though he has no idea when winds will come out, he told us that he had been working on the targ history book instead and it should be out next year  

4 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I suspect that dragons are "jets". Or main reason they can fly is their farts. After all there are very good reasons why all birds are very light. So anything so heavy as a dragon shouldn't be able to fly using only wings.

If the dragons only fart, then their farts will likely be full of ammonia that burn their butt tissues. But dragons are magic, so if they are “jets”, then I want to write WINTER IS COMING in the sky with dragon fart!

Archived