U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

The Kneeling Protests thing is taking a new fun turn:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2017/10/08/jerry-jones-nationalanthem-protest-dallas-cowboys-flag/744966001/

Jerry Jones is taking a hard line on protests during the national anthem.

The Dallas Cowboys owner indicated after a 35-31 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday that anyone from his team who participated in such a demonstration would not be allowed to play.

"If there is anything disrespecting the flag, then we will not play. Period," Jones said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "We're going to respect the flag, and I'm going to create the perception of it."

Salute the flag or be punished.

America truly was ready to go hard fascist at the drop of a hat.

15 minutes ago, Shryke said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2017/10/08/jerry-jones-nationalanthem-protest-dallas-cowboys-flag/744966001/

There are plenty of us resisting this and taking the opposite view.  

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

They have to call his bluff on this surely.  if they all kneel it makes him look like either a moron if he follows through, or a coward if he doesn't. 

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They have to call his bluff on this surely.  if they all kneel it makes him look like either a moron if he follows through, or a coward if he doesn't. 

If I wasn't planning on kneeling, I would be now.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Didn't he kneel right alongside the team last week? 

Yup. He's a dickdouche. I hope the whole fucking team kneels (not just the black dudes and one random white guy plz)

Last night Trump released some incredibly harsh immigration demands he wants met in order to save DACA, blowing up the supposed deal he made with Chuck and Nancy. Today he golfed and released a Columbus Day statement praising an asshole who got lost and omitting any mention of indigenous peoples; the guy idolizes Andrew Jackson, so you would not expect him to be sensitive to the native genocide. So, a typical Monday in 2017.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Didn't he kneel right alongside the team last week? 

Not during the national anthem.  They knelt prior to it, then stood for it.

I stopped watching the NFL about three years ago, but not because of protests during the anthem (too many commercial breaks, the Bears suck, my kids have soccer on Sunday afternoons, I've gotten hooked on Premier League in the mornings, etc). 

The over the top patriotism in American sports that escalated steadily since the first Gulf War is a buzzkill for me. I'm okay with playing the anthem, but field-sized flags, 7th inning stretch God Bless America, Salute the Troops month, Memorial Day uniforms with camouflage.  It's ridiculous.

I love my country, but don't need to be bashed over the head being told how to love it.

1 hour ago, The Wedge said:

Not during the national anthem.  They knelt prior to it, then stood for it.

I stopped watching the NFL about three years ago, but not because of protests during the anthem (too many commercial breaks, the Bears suck, my kids have soccer on Sunday afternoons, I've gotten hooked on Premier League in the mornings, etc). 

The over the top patriotism in American sports that escalated steadily since the first Gulf War is a buzzkill for me. I'm okay with playing the anthem, but field-sized flags, 7th inning stretch God Bless America, Salute the Troops month, Memorial Day uniforms with camouflage.  It's ridiculous.

I love my country, but don't need to be bashed over the head being told how to love it.

Total bullshit.

Look, forget all that crap like democracy index, Amnesty International, the HRW and similar communist hangover bands, I'll make it real simple for you:

How do we measure freedom? Easy, it's measured by how many people are willing and able to punish other people for not respecting the tangible symbols of America's place as the most free. America is the shining light of liberty to the rest of the world, and if people are able to get away with refusing to genuflect before that light, what message does that send to the world?

Now I fully support individuals rights to non-violent protest, it's an important aspect of what makes America the world's most free nation. But there have to be parameters, and therefore any non-violent protest has to refrain from disparaging the country, offending people of differing opinions, and making their point in any way that will get noticed by people who don't want to notice it. That's only fair. Otherwise you're basically pissing on the graves of soldiers who died for your freedom.

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

America is the shining light of liberty to the rest of the world ? Was that sarcasm?

I'm pretty sure that was facetious, yes.

When anyone tries to throw that Worship the Flag baloney, I ask them this question: "What is it that the president, soldiers, and other federal employees are sworn to protect and defend?"  It ain't the flag.  It's the Constitution.

Recent meme that's been floating around with a Molly Ivins (RIP) quote:

“I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.”

Spot on.

36 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Now I fully support individuals rights to non-violent protest, it's an important aspect of what makes America the world's most free nation. But there have to be parameters, and therefore any non-violent protest has to refrain from disparaging the country, offending people of differing opinions, and making their point in any way that will get noticed by people who don't want to notice it. That's only fair. Otherwise you're basically pissing on the graves of soldiers who died for your freedom.

That's advanced sarcasm.

The problem is, many people actually think just that. In fact, if I didn't know James Arryn I might assume he was serious.

16 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

That's advanced sarcasm.

The problem is, many people actually think just that. In fact, if I didn't know James Arryn I might assume he was serious.

Yeah see I'm new to this section of the board really so I wasn't sure, cause I know people who DO think like that. :(

47 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well its honestly really hard to tell on the net these days.

It's always been hard to tell "on the net" or through email. There has been research showing that people are abysmal at telling sarcasm from sincerity in email-like communications even when they do know the other person well. It usually isn't wise to try to be sarcastic in an email unless you are using a stock phrase everyone understands as being sarcastic, or unless you specifically mark your statement as being sarcasm. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/09/epa-scott-pruitt-abandon-clean-power-plan-obama

The head of the Environmental Protection Agency said on Monday that he would sign a new rule overriding the Clean Power Plan, an Obama-era effort to limit carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants.

“The war on coal is over,” EPA administrator Scott Pruitt declared in the coal mining state of Kentucky, at an event with one of the state’s US senators, the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell. 

For Pruitt, getting rid of the Clean Power Plan will mark the culmination of a long fight he began as the elected attorney general of Oklahoma. Pruitt was among about two dozen attorney generals who sued to stop Barack Obama’s push to limit carbon emissions.

*sigh*

Archived