U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

The breakdown in US-Turket relations is basically nothing to do with Putin. It's all Erdogan and his gradual ascension into strongman dictatorhood.

Yes, but chaos and a breakdown within NATO is one of Vlad's greatest desires, and the thought of pulling a NATO member into his sphere is a coup for him.

As expected, no Republicans directly backed up Bob Corker, though none of them defended the President either. They mostly had some variation of "put aside petty personality issues" and stressing the need to work together. The fact that they can toss this up to a clash of egos and not acknowledge the unstable, incompetant, authoritarian leading the country means they are willing to risk the complete breakdown of norms and even nuclear war for politics. 

6 hours ago, Shryke said:

Also, the NFL quietly went nuclear on the protest issue:

https://deadspin.com/the-nfl-quietly-changed-its-obscure-rule-about-standing-1819300660

Basically changing the language around in the rules to say "We will fuck you hard if you keep this up".

Did they really cave? It's not obvious from that article. I would wait to see if they enforce the policy on the field.

Also, breaking news, our President is a clown:

And this:

President Donald Trump, scorned by reports that Rex Tillerson called him a "moron" earlier this year, told Forbes in an interview released Tuesdaythat he has a higher IQ than his secretary of state.

The comment underscores the volatility between the two men after multiple reports that their relationship has frayed over the secretary of state's comment. Trump and Tillerson, along with Secretary of Defense James Mattis, will have lunch together at the White House on Tuesday afternoon.

"I think it's fake news, but if he did that, I guess we'll have to compare IQ tests," Trump said. "And I can tell you who is going to win."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politics/donald-trump-forbes-interview-rex-tillerson/index.html

Do people even take IQ tests anymore?

I say make them look at a world map and point out different cities, countries, and oceans.  There's no way Trump could point to Washington, DC, let alone Pyongyang or Berlin, on a map without assistance.

Free reminder that IQ tests are a century old method for testing the advancement of grade school children in France, (mostly to test whether anyone was mentally challenged so they could be thrown out of class) and even creator said they were not actually indicative of intelligence or meant for anyone but young children.

Anytime anyone is tempted to think that the White House inhabitants cannot more degrade, humiliate and show contempt for the office of the POTUS than it already has -- they are ready to Show You! Reality TV White House on steroids and overdrive: 

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/who-s-first-first-lady-melania-feuds-with-trump-s-first-wife-ivana-1.3625914

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/10/donald-trump-forbes-rex-tillerson-moron

Cue international orchestra of vomiting and snickering.

1 hour ago, The Wedge said:

Do people even take IQ tests anymore?

I say make them look at a world map and point out different cities, countries, and oceans.  There's no way Trump could point to Washington, DC, let alone Pyongyang or Berlin, on a map without assistance.

Sweet Jesus, invoking an IQ test sounds like something out of the Dunning Kruger playbook. Reminds me of a long-ago numpty in an Internet argument who claimed MENSA membership to bolster his point.

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Free reminder that IQ tests are a century old method for testing the advancement of grade school children in France, (mostly to test whether anyone was mentally challenged so they could be thrown out of class) and even creator said they were not actually indicative of intelligence or meant for anyone but young children.

Yeah, im really getting tired of people bringing up IQ tests as measures of intelligence in 2017. It leads me to think of the embarassment that is Mensa.

It’s also important to keep in mind that old school traditional IQ tests were fairly racists. For example, one showed pictures of women’s faces from different ethnic groups and asked who was the most attractive and the correct answer was the white woman’s face. Another example is that they were designed to test your levels of intelligence based on western style schooling. A lot of the tests you’ll see , last I checked, focus more on different types of intelligence, so for example Michael Jordan would be considered an athletic genius and Lin-Manuel Miranda would be considered an artistic genius absent their other skills, abilities and intelligences.

Not sure, where all this IQ Test bashing is coming from. They're still fairly good predictors for academic achievement and job success.

57 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yeah, im really getting tired of people bringing up IQ tests as measures of intelligence in 2017.

Anyway, out of curiosity, care to define intelligence, please?

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I think you have that a bit overblown. Alfred Binet never claimed he was testing everything that was intelligence, or that what he was measuring was hereditary rather than environmental. But he certainly thought what he was trying to measure was a part of "intelligence". And though his original test was for children, I really doubt if he ever said it was impossible for others to create valid tests of intelligence for adults. 

The introductory psychology textbook I teach out of (Myers & DeWall, 10th edition) uses "the mental potential to learn from experience, solve problems, and use knowledge to adapt to new situations."

48 minutes ago, Notone said:

Not sure, where all this IQ Test bashing is coming from. They're still fairly good predictors for academic achievement and job success.

OH MY GOD PLEASE DON'T DO THIS

Archived