U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

10 hours ago, Altherion said:

Did they really cave? It's not obvious from that article. I would wait to see if they enforce the policy on the field.

At least 2 teams now (the Cowboys and the Dolphins) have said that they will either suspend or just straight-up let go any player that kneels for the anthem, so it is beginning to look like things are trending in that direction. I hope some of the more liberal owners lean the other way.

10 hours ago, Altherion said:

Did they really cave? It's not obvious from that article. I would wait to see if they enforce the policy on the field.

At least 2 teams now (the Cowboys and the Dolphins) have said that they will either suspend or just straight-up let go any player that kneels for the anthem, so it is beginning to look like things are trending in that direction. I hope some of the more liberal owners lean the other way.

Mythcon and Humanism (Matt Dillahunty Youtube video)

Very unsure of whether I should put this in the politics thread being mostly about the division causing problems in the atheist/skeptic community and what happened at Mythcon. However, what's decided me is that Matt's comments not only seem accurate and insightful but relevant to recent disagreements we're having on this board and what's causing the left in general to be in a feud with itself, and he does relate his thoughts to current politics. 

My thoughts:

Whether you agree with him or not, I really think Matt is a class act guy, a grown up in a community sadly being overrun by children. 

I am an atheist and humanist. I enjoy listening to Matt and AronRa and Seth Andrews and some others. I don't go to any meet ups or conventions, I just find myself agreeing quite a bit with their take on things.

So I had no idea that this Mythcon was a thing. I do know of Sargon of Akkad and seen a couple of his videos but I could never watch one all the way through. I always considered Sargon an asshat and think Matt hit it on the nose calling him a shock jock. I don't follow Sargon or Bearing or any of those guys and think they are pretty "deplorable".

Loved what Matt said about taking good positions and turning them in parodies and making things more difficult. I agreed with most of what he said and felt his comments were a well needed boost of sense and sanity and I'm glad he chose to share his thoughts.

28 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Mythcon and Humanism (Matt Dillahunty Youtube video)

Very unsure of whether I should put this in the politics thread being mostly about the division causing problems in the atheist/skeptic community and what happened at Mythcon. However, what's decided me is that Matt's comments not only seem accurate and insightful but relevant to recent disagreements we're having on this board and what's causing the left in general to be in a feud with itself, and he does relate his thoughts to current politics. 

My thoughts:

Whether you agree with him or not, I really think Matt is a class act guy, a grown up in a community sadly being overrun by children. 

I am an atheist and humanist. I enjoy listening to Matt and AronRa and Seth Andrews and some others. I don't go to any meet ups or conventions, I just find myself agreeing quite a bit with their take on things.

So I had no idea that this Mythcon was a thing. I do know of Sargon of Akkad and seen a couple of his videos but I could never watch one all the way through. I always considered Sargon an asshat and think Matt hit it on the nose calling him a shock jock. I don't follow Sargon or Bearing or any of those guys and think they are pretty "deplorable".

Loved what Matt said about taking good positions and turning them in parodies and making things more difficult. I agreed with most of what he said and felt his comments were a well needed boost of sense and sanity and I'm glad he chose to share his thoughts.

Kevin Logan had a great critique of Matt's video about the MM conference. 

Matt is very spineless. He condemned it after he got his paycheck.

I can't stomach how he attacked / attacks people (a few of them being friends of mine) that warned the venue about Sargon and how Matt called people that warned the venue the real fascists. He does that then goes on to complain about people calling  Carl (Sargon) fascists. He's very much a hypocrite and a cowardly centrist that has a problem pushing false equivalences. 

He also said women were not at risk, after saying how uncomfortable he was hearing a crowd cheering on a rape tweet harassing women online. That's some serious male privilege and ignorance from Matt on that one.

And he completely ignored people of color within the atheist / skeptic community that also warned him. 

Matt has a real problem with being held accountable for his enabling of nazis, fascists, and bigots in general. 

He also defended going to the conference up until he finally walked out.  

Also, Seth Andrews can go fuck himself for his false equivalence pushing BS and for how he attacked people like Steve Shives, Dan Arel and others that were calling for a boycott of MM since they invited pieces of shit like Carl (Sargon) and Armoured Skeptic and refused to not retract the invitations to them.  

Basically, they still attacked people that wound up being right about what a shit show it was going to be. Seth at least dropped out, but not before still taking shots at people who tried to warn him. Matt condemned it after he got paid. 

The I.Q. Test is for the public. Why believe a serial liar and self promotor who vaguely refers to his own hugely smarts. He can't write well, his vocabulary isn't impressive, he makes knee jerk insults to people, pissing of those whose supports he needs, he coffeffees, can't do math, fails to succeed at business, and people who grew up with him won't do deals with him because of failed promises and bankruptcies. His own ghost writer is horrified by his obvious failings, at even basic attention. His wives check out after a while. He never fails to go the low road and enjoys dividing people. Oh yah, and he didn't do very well in school even with a lot of family backing

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I actually don't think the polls were that off in 2016, they just got the distribution of where the votes were wrong and didn't do a good job of factoring in all the late events that help swing it for Trump (we can quibble forever about how each affected the outcome, but it's undeniable that Clinton made a massive mistake by taking her foot off of the gas in the Midwest).

The better pollsters in the country did mostly have things within the margin of error in key states, (which most people ignored, because most people and news outlets don't want to bother diving into what the margin of error is or what it could mean) while other pollsters were all over the map and we saw some pretty horrendous models.

But my original statement wasn't just referring to the presidential election,  but to elections and referenda around the world such as Brexit, the first attempt at peace with the FARC in Columbia, etc.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Fuck my irony meter just blew its fuse.

Yeah, I sometimes forget how insane Fox can get, because I rarely watch it. Now he's running clips of Hillary talking about various Women's Rights issues and then tying that to the fact that she took campaign contributions from Weinstein.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I love how this Harvey Weinstein story is a Fox lead over numerous shows. So fucking tone deaf. Tucker Carlson wants the Federal government to investigate Hollywood for their systemic sexual abuse violations.

Says that from a chair in a studio where O'Reilly sat and spewed similar bullshit for a network that was ran by Ailes. 

Not to mention how that network sticks up for Trump, someone that has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by 15 women. Shit, an ex wife has accused him of rape and another woman said she was raped by him when she was a child, but she had to cancel her news conference about the lawsuit she was bringing against him because his supporters were sending her violent threats.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

OK, I'll bite cause I don;t want to google it and have shit in my browser history I have to purge. What the fuck is MythCon?

The split/conflict that has become clear in many communities between a prescriptive, authoritarian, door-keeping, listen-to-me, libertarian-ish wing and a descriptive, inclusive, egalitarian, listen-to-everyone (shut up for a second), liberal-ish wing is also present in the atheist/humanist/sceptics movements.

Mythcon was a convention in that movement that insisted on inviting the gamergate types and giving them a podium.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Fuck my irony meter just blew its fuse.

One thing that is surely crystal clear by now is that the American Right only care about hypocrisy when it's a charge they can level against a Democrat. It's the only time they care about any other sort of bad behaviour, too.

6 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

The better pollsters in the country did mostly have things within the margin of error in key states, (which most people ignored, because most people and news outlets don't want to bother diving into what the margin of error is or what it could mean) while other pollsters were all over the map and we saw some pretty horrendous models.

But my original statement wasn't just referring to the presidential election,  but to elections and referenda around the world such as Brexit, the first attempt at peace with the FARC in Columbia, etc.

The problem is not the polls themselves, but the interpretation of the polls and the data on the Democratic side. I remember a lot of people thinking of the "blue wall" as this solid block of states they didn't need to worry about, and this type of thinking was unfortunately shared by many in the Clinton campaign.

Also, a lot of assumptions are made still made based on previous election results, while ignoring how few data points are available and that the electorate is constantly changing. The next Democratic presidential candidate would be wise to give their turnout and messaging people preference over pollsters and data people in their campaign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/caveheraa/status/917608372190322693?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23917608372190322693

No idea why this won't embed, sorry.

Trump thinks "I am actually humble; I think I am much more humble than you could understand"

10 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe the difference was that the actual turnout was lower in a lot place than the internal polling of likely voters predicted, and if that’s correct, I think it has a lot to do with a lack of enthusiasm for Clinton, among other things.

10 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Well I think that goes back to prior complaints about methodology. It’s not that the data is that far off, but the human element has been completely lost.

I'm getting more and more concerned about the Virginia governor's race. This should be a layup for Democrats (and the public polling is quite positive), but insiders keep talking about how both campaigns think it's a dead heat. And there seems to be no excitement, or even attention being paid, on the left. I see very few yard signs here in NoVa (which I know don't help, but usually all the houses around here have them); and when I check liberal sites (like DailyKos) to see what they're talking about, there's usually literally no mention at all of the race.

Biden is coming in to help campaign, and there's talk Obama may as well, but I'm really concerned about activists sitting this one out because we rejected their candidate for the more moderate (and sitting Lt. Gov.) Northam.

I'm also worried that too many moderate Republicans (there are quite a few still in Virginia) and even some moderate Democrats still think of Gillespie as the mainstream, "I-only-care-about-making-Virginia-a-business-friendly-state" guy that he used to be, and not paying attention to the Trumpy, Corey Stewart-endorsed far-right cultural warfare campaign he is running and governor he is promising to be

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe the difference was that the actual turnout was lower in a lot place than the internal polling of likely voters predicted, and if that’s correct, I think it has a lot to do with a lack of enthusiasm for Clinton, among other things.

Has there been any attempt at all to find out how many people were denied their right to vote in states like Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania due to GOP vote suppression bullshit? When a state is lost by a few thousand votes, and there was less than expected turnout in major cities, with Republicans openly disenfranchising as many people as they can get away with, it's hard to escape the idea that the entire country got swindled and fucked over by a few corrupt state officials.

Archived