U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

12 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

That sounds possible if not probable, I'm just not as sure as you are on how the official appointment process would work in such situation in Maine.  

What I do know is that LePage is a jackass who bends the rules (and sometimes laws) as much as he can; and I know that Democrats in the state legislature tried earlier this year to entirely remove the Governor's power to appoint senate replacements (and failed because they only control one chamber),

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah that's a weird way to announce you're not running.  Just put out a statement.

Hm.  Not sure about that.  Since she's in the midst of her Senate term, pretty sure she could resign immediately before taking the governor's oath, then appoint her own.  Meh, question's moot anyway.  Certainly would rather have her (or her pick for that matter) than LePage's.

Is there a state law in Maine that says you can’t hold two offices at the same time? Huey Long did it back in the day.

31 minutes ago, Fez said:

What I do know is that LePage is a jackass who bends the rules (and sometimes laws) as much as he can

On that we can all agree.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is there a state law in Maine that says you can’t hold two offices at the same time? Huey Long did it back in the day.

First, he did?  But anyway, this is partly my question.  The NCSL has a brief chart on dual office holding by state, and here's it's excerpt for Maine:

No member of Congress, nor person holding any office under the United States (post officers excepted) nor office of profit under this State, justices of the peace, notaries public, coroners and officers of the militia excepted, shall have a seat in either House while a member of Congress, or continuing in such office.

Me. Const. Art. IV, Pt. 3, § 11

So, my understanding of that language is no, you cannot be a US MC and Maine Governor at the same time - but like I said I'm honestly not sure.  Interestingly, in my brief search finding the above the next google hit was this article arguing Mark Warner could have been senator and governor of Virginia at the same time.

Another thought I had is perhaps Collins could stipulate in her resignation from the Senate that it is effective the moment she takes office as governor or something.

13 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Steve Bullock on paper looks good but is only known by politcal junkies like me, and Kambla Harris on paper like Bullock looks good but is going to have primary problems building a base with Warren and Bernie both likely running

That didn't stop a junior Senator from Illinois.

Being relatively unknown can be an advantage, e.g. there's less of a voting record to nail them on. As for the primaries. Let one of them get an early endorsement by Obama or Sanders (or Biden), and I think they would be right in the competition. Ok, a Sanders endorsement might be a bit double edged, since it has the potential to piss off the centrist Democrats, but that's probably a risk worth taking.

59 minutes ago, Notone said:

Being relatively unknown can be an advantage, e.g. there's less of a voting record to nail them on. As for the primaries. Let one of them get an early endorsement by Obama or Sanders (or Biden), and I think they would be right in the competition. Ok, a Sanders endorsement might be a bit double edged, since it has the potential to piss off the centrist Democrats, but that's probably a risk worth taking.

Yeah, but that junior Senator from Illinois had more charisma in his pinky toe than all of congress combined.

@dmc515,

Thanks for the information. And I need to correct my previous comment. He was Governor and Senator-elect and was considering holding both offices, but he ultimately got his buddy to be Governor and Long acted as the de facto Governor. Still it was a very unique situation. I wonder how different history would be if he wasn’t assassinated. There’s a good chance he would have succeed FDR. And for those of you who are unfamiliar with Huey Long, first, read everything you can about him, and second, know that he could have been America’s first dictator. He’s what an incredibly smart Trump would look like. He’s said to be the inspiration for the book “It Can’t Happen Here.” Here’s just a taste:

Trump officially decertified the Iran nuclear agreement. He’s having one hell of day, hurting Americas at home by taking away their healthcare and disgracing us abroad. How can any nation trust Trump to hold up his end of any deal?

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump officially decertified the Iran nuclear agreement. He’s having one hell of day, hurting Americas at home by taking away their healthcare and disgracing us abroad. How can any nation trust Trump to hold up his end of any deal?

J F C

32 minutes ago, Notone said:

I think Obama was probably better known than Bullock at this point in the Presidential election cycle because of his famous speech at the previous national Democratic party convention.

However, I would agree that there is still plenty of time for Bullock to become known and that being relatively unknown can be turned into an advantage. Though Howard Dean didn't end up winning the nomination in the end, I don't think he was any more "known" than Bullock and think an outsider probably has an even better chance of making a good run for the nomination in 2020 than Dean did back in 2004.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So now it's just repeal and wait? Awesome. So Much Winning.

I’ve been saying for a long time that people focus too much on Trump’s narcissism and not enough on his sadism. The latter is actually much more problematic.

I can't stand it.  And the cheers, oh the cheers.

“We are stopping cold the attacks on Judeo-Christian values. As we approach the end of the year—you know, we’re getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don’t talk about anymore. They don’t use the word Christmas because it’s not politically correct. You go to department stores and they’ll say Happy New Year and they’ll say other things; it’ll be red, they’ll have it painted but they don’t say it. Well, guess what? We’re saying Merry Christmas again.”

2 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I can't stand it.  And the cheers, oh the cheers.

He truly is a creation of Fox News. The War on Christmas has to be the tiredest saw in the tool box. This country fucking loves Christmas. I'm a fucking atheist and I observe the holiday. (Mostly for my kids sake through the years, and now for my grandson, but still.) 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been saying for a long time that people focus too much on Trump’s narcissism and not enough on his sadism. The latter is actually much more problematic.

It's kind of a toxic pairing, as his narcissism makes the sycophants and shitheels around him enable his sadism, just so they can get what they want along the way.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He truly is a creation of Fox News. The War on Christmas has to be the tiredest saw in the tool box. This country fucking loves Christmas. I'm a fucking atheist and I observe the holiday. (Mostly for my kids sake through the years, and now for my grandson, but still.) 

Agree, I hate Christmas myself, but that's just my take on things and why would I force that on anyone?  Who cares?  The meme that USA Xtians are persecuted is so false and so believed by so many of the RWNJ Xtian Right that's it's unbelievable.  

I've only met one Xtian in the USA that was persecuted for their religion, and he is an Russian immigrant who as a child was brought here with his family to escape from Xtian, Russian Orthodox, on Xtian, some type of Baptist, persecution.  

However, I have seen in the news attacks on Black churches, synagogues and mosques in the USA.  So it does exist here. 

This is so sick.  

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Kelly: Sir, you met the Gov'nr, you're the PRez of the VI.

Trump: I am the PRez of the USA, he was the PRez of VI

K; no, you're the Prez of the VI

T; no, the USA, I met the PRes of PR too.

K; no, you met the Gov, you're the PRez

T; You're fired!

Who's on first?

He decertified and said that if Congress and the US allies can not meet his demands for an amended deal, he will sink it completely.

In other news, Trump is going to make an appearance at anti-LGBtQ group summit. He has addressed them before as a candidate, but he will be the first sitting President to speak at their function.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-anti-lgbt-address-hate-group-summit-meeting-first-president-us-homphobia-a7997401.html?amp

56 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's kind of a toxic pairing, as his narcissism makes the sycophants and shitheels around him enable his sadism, just so they can get what they want along the way.

Yeah, that’s a good point. And it probably functions in a cyclical manner in which he needs constant attention and praise and they keep praising his sadistic acts so he keeps doing them. Sprinkle in that he’s a moron with zero intellectual curiosity (the most important trait for an elected official, mind you) and you have a perfect storm to ruin the country.

5 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

He decertified and said that if Congress and the US allies can not meet his demands for an amended deal, he will sink it completely.

In other news, Trump is going to make an appearance at anti-LGBtQ group summit. He has addressed them before as a candidate, but he will be the first sitting President to speak at their function.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-anti-lgbt-address-hate-group-summit-meeting-first-president-us-homphobia-a7997401.html?amp

Value Voters? Great. The Moral Majority Redux. I wish these dated assholes would just go away. Trump really has set the Wayback Machine here in terms of progress.

Archived