U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

You mean they expect to exchange their labor for a wage and get the agreed upon sum after doing their work? That's the agreement ffs, all the extra shit you pile on top is the employer being entitled, the employee nopeing out of that is not.

And some of you are dangerously underestimating the amount of open antisemitism that has reared its head in the last year. Polling from 2015 is not what you need to be looking at on this.

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

You mean they expect to exchange their labor for a wage and get the agreed upon sum after doing their work? That's the agreement ffs, all the extra shit you pile on top is the employer being entitled, the employee nopeing out of that is not.

And some of you are dangerously underestimating the amount of open antisemitism that has reared its head in the last year. Polling from 2015 is not what you need to be looking at on this.

I might be mistaken here but wasn't gallop the site that predicted Clinton winning in a landslide?

31 minutes ago, karaddin said:

You mean they expect to exchange their labor for a wage and get the agreed upon sum after doing their work?

I'm pretty sure he means literally expecting to come to work and get a paycheck (i.e. staying the requisite number of hours without actually doing the requisite work). I am fortunate to never have had to work with such people directly, but I've definitely seen several of them -- though to be fair, the phenomenon is not specific to the youth.

I really don't think a Jewish candidate would be a problem. The religious right loves Israel after all to a point it's almost creepy. And if you ask most conservatives they love Jews and think liberals are the ani-semetic ones because of a lack of support for Israel. I think a Jewish candidate would be fine. There is anti-semitism in America but little in places of power and most Americans even conservative ones are just fine with Jews. Muslims on the other hand...

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Not what he is saying. He means people who arent productive while at work.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Little in places of power? Are you shitting me? 

Yeah, I get Trump's fetish with White Supremacists, but I don't think the anti-Semite bit fits him. His son-in-law is jewish. His grand-kids are jewish. Stephen Miller is jewish. His idol, who he based his whole persona and professional philosophy off of was jewish.

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Look, I've heard very good arguments from black women and men that TODAY, not 40 years ago, white privledge is becoming a myth and an excuse. Is it right, I don't know. Some seen to think so. We've had a black president, the highest office in this country. There are white regions as poor as any black areas, and getting out of that situation is just is tough. Its a huge debate. 

Yes, the work ethic of today's youth is cringe worthy. I'm in management and help with hiring. Its ridiculous how many young people we go through. That are just lazy and expect to come to work and collect a check. 

White privilege is a myth, Michael. If anyone is going to associate "privilege" to being white, then I ask them to explain why there are twice as many homeless whites than there are blacks, and overwhelmingly more than any other minority group? Whites are going to over represent pretty much everything because they're a substantial majority in numbers. When we talk "privilege," conceptually it's suggesting that someone is giving them this privilege. So, one way you can stave off these assertions of white privilege, Michael, is by challenging those who believe it's true to identify who's giving them this privilege. Is it the government? And if so, how are they doing it?  

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

There is certainly blowback from Obama's presidency that is impossible to measure in terms of how "swing" white voters would now behave.  However, if, say, Obama was Jewish instead of black, or a woman instead of black, or latino instead of black, he would have won anyway at that point in time.  And that is because Obama was an excellent candidate in all facets.  Unfortunately, his presidency has precipitated increasing racial resentment.  How would that affect a Jewish candidate?  I don't know. 

I remember Lieberman running as VP in 2000 didn't really matter much.  The current climate is obviously different, and apt for more overtly racist attacks to someone at the top of the ticket.  But I'm not sure how those that actually are swing voters would react to such.  A smart politician may be able to turn that into an asset.  Especially if she's Jewish - guilt is kind of their wheelhouse.

17 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

However, if, say, Obama was Jewish instead of black, or a woman instead of black, or latino instead of black, he would have won anyway at that point in time.

How do you figure that? It's true that any Democrat would have won the general election... but I don't see anyone who is not an African-American beating Clinton in the 2008 primary.

Just now, Altherion said:

How do you figure that? It's true that any Democrat would have won the general election... but I don't see anyone who is not an African-American beating Clinton in the 2008 primary.

Well that hypothetical candidate could've been a Jewish, African-American woman and still have fit that description.

4 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Why?  Explain your logic.  Obama won Iowa.  South Carolina was obviously a layup for him, but you're going to have to do better than that.

I don't even think it would have had a large impact on Bernie if he'd been the candidate, but it's surged back into conscious hatred just in the last year. It's incorrect to conflate support for Israel with the person not being an antisemite, I've seen more than a few open Nazis who still hold to that position because they want to force Jewish Americans to emigrate there. And the dog whistles on that front are a lot more widespread than they were and not just from the far right. 

Also not just in the US. The marriage equality fight in Aus has a ton of "pro Israel" right wing pundits trotting out the Soros dog whistles and "globalist". 

11 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It's incorrect to conflate support for Israel with the person not being an antisemite, I've seen more than a few open Nazis who still hold to that position because they want to force Jewish Americans to emigrate there.

This is an important point.  Not only for nazis, obviously, but even the religious right.  They love supporting Israel, but that's because they want the Jews to be there during Armageddon.  That's a whacked out olive branch.

6 minutes ago, Triskan said:

On that Vice video from Charlotseville one of the "motherfuckers" was saying "I cannot believe he let a Jew marry that beautiful girl."  

Yeah, I remember that bit. Outside of calling the murder of Heather Heyer "a win", that might have been the most cringe-worthy statements that gentleman made. And he made some doozys.

48 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't even think it would have had a large impact on Bernie if he'd been the candidate, but it's surged back into conscious hatred just in the last year. It's incorrect to conflate support for Israel with the person not being an antisemite, I've seen more than a few open Nazis who still hold to that position because they want to force Jewish Americans to emigrate there. And the dog whistles on that front are a lot more widespread than they were and not just from the far right. 

Also not just in the US. The marriage equality fight in Aus has a ton of "pro Israel" right wing pundits trotting out the Soros dog whistles and "globalist". 

Yeah a few years ago we didn't have nazi rallies and I didn't have to actually explain to people WHY Nazis are bad. Not to mention trump giving cred to Alex jones who pretty much thinks everything bad that ever happened is the Jews fault. Oh and Bannon.

59 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

They love supporting Israel, but that's because they want the Jews to be there during Armageddon.  That's a whacked out olive branch.

One doubts they know or care that Armageddon is supposed to lift everyone everywhere to heaven, including sinners and non-believers. 

Archived