U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Saw a pic or two of Trump in profile rather than from the front earlier this week.  Got me to thinking: way overweight.  Age/Height/Weight bit by itself (from the pic) practically screams 'heart attack waiting to happen.'  Clinton jogged. Bush II split wood once in a while.  Obama played basketball.  But Trump doesn't seem to exercise.  So....

Suppose Trump had a heart attack?

1 - If Trump died of heart failure, what becomes of the investigation into his campaign?

2 - Suppose he didn't die, but was incapacitated and his staff tried to keep it secret - wheeling him out only for 'must show' appearances.  Tried running things behind the scenes in Trumps name otherwise.  How long could this situation persist before Trumps ouster?  Could they keep it going for the remainder of his term?  Got to thinking about Roosevelt and the lengths he went to conceal his infirmities.

3 - Trump survives heart attack, but uses it as an excuse to resign office.  But - on his way out  fires Mueller and grants himself and staff a blanket pardon, loudly insisting this shields him from all misdeeds, federal and state.  Yes, it wouldn't wash and creates a constitutional crisis, but this is Trump.  How to unravel such a fiasco in this era of a divided congress and court?  I find myself wondering if the divisions are so steep Trump might not actually pull off such a stunt. Plus, if he did pull it off, it would set precedent.

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Saw a pic or two of Trump in profile rather than from the front earlier this week.  Got me to thinking: way overweight.  Age/Height/Weight bit by itself (from the pic) practically screams 'heart attack waiting to happen.'  Clinton jogged. Bush II split wood once in a while.  Obama played basketball.  But Trump doesn't seem to exercise.  So....

1 - If Trump died of heart failure, what becomes of the investigation into his campaign?

2 - Suppose he didn't die, but was incapacitated and his staff tried to keep it secret - wheeling him out only for 'must show' appearances.  Tried running things behind the scenes in Trumps name otherwise.  How long could this situation persist before Trumps ouster?  Could they keep it going for the remainder of his term?  Got to thinking about Roosevelt and the lengths he went to conceal his infirmities.

3 - Trump survives heart attack, but uses it as an excuse to resign office.  But - on his way out  fires Mueller and grants himself and staff a blanket pardon, loudly insisting this shields him from all misdeeds, federal and state.  Yes, it wouldn't wash and creates a constitutional crisis, but this is Trump.  How to unravel such a fiasco in this era of a divided congress and court?  I find myself wondering if the divisions are so steep Trump might not actually pull off such a stunt. Plus, if he did pull it off, it would set precedent.

This is an absurd hypothetical. Do you read this shit over before posting it? Lol

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Why is that an absurd hypothetical?  Trump is indeed overweight, eats a terrible diet, thinks exercise is unhealthy, and is 70 years old. Actuarial science would put the odds of him dying in the next few years as a reasonable possibility.  

I dunno, think it it's just kinda weird to speculate about such a specific series of events with branches based on three contingencies that all depend on various levels of Trump dying or succumbing to some serious medical issue. Never crossed my mind before

So its not really US politics, but it is US and doesn't deserve a thread of its own...the Rick and Morty/McDonalds/Szechuan Sauce outrage today is quite possibly the only thing from 2017 thats topping "western politics" for sheer "what the fuck is going on?". I have to wonder if this is a reaction to the sheer insanity of politics, that people are just getting more and more out there to avoid dealing with actual reality, but its just ...?

ETA: Curious how those that were concerned about free speech on college campuses feel about this? 

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

So its not really US politics, but it is US and doesn't deserve a thread of its own...the Rick and Morty/McDonalds/Szechuan Sauce outrage today is quite possibly the only thing from 2017 thats topping "western politics" for sheer "what the fuck is going on?". I have to wonder if this is a reaction to the sheer insanity of politics, that people are just getting more and more out there to avoid dealing with actual reality, but its just ...?

Yeah, it kind of strikes me as being a bit similar to the Smartphone releases and the like. We are spoiled past the point of any reasonable explanation. Standing on line for hours for collectible dipping sauce that you're going to do what with? It's pretty damn bizarre.

/Apologies in advance to the poster who stood on line for hours for collectible dipping sauce. 

Because running the country is a reality show where the president and his staff thinks it's appropriate to make the entire world take a commercial break while he flippantly threatens to murder 25 million people.  

We'll be back in a moment.  I hope.  Maybe.

11 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

3 - Trump survives heart attack, but uses it as an excuse to resign office.  But - on his way out  fires Mueller and grants himself and staff a blanTrump.  How to unravel such a fiasco in this era of a divided congress and court?  I find myself wondering if the divisions are so steep Trump might not actually pull off such a stunt. Plus, if he did pull it off, it would set precedent.ket pardon, loudly insisting this shields him from all misdeeds, federal and state.  Yes, it wouldn't wash and creates a constitutional crisis, but this is

See the film Dave for contingency plan.

I only suggest they don't use Alec Baldwin, I don't think he'd work well with his history of outbursts and putting his foot in his mouth and being difficult to work with...um, nm.

4 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Because running the country is a reality show where the president and his staff thinks it's appropriate to make the entire world take a commercial break while he flippantly threatens to murder 25 million people.  

We'll be back in a moment.  I hope.  Maybe.

would someone mind pulling a few paragraphs from that article? I can't get past the paywall.

thanks!

59 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

It is about Trump's tweets Last night in which he says diplomacy hasn't worked, only one thing will work. I don't know how to post tweets otherwise I would have directly posted his words.

ok, thanks.  Here's how to post a tweet; 

in the twitter feed, the tweet will have on the upper right hand corner one of these symbols;  V, click on that and on the drop down click 'copy link to tweet' click on that and then  paste here, then at the bottom of the post will be the prompt to remove formatting, click on that and the tweet will show.

:)

Yes, about Trump's tweets with vague threats towards North Korea. This on top of him last week saying there will be a storm probably makes it less vague and more explicit.  The scary (scarier?) thing is that one never knows if Trump will follow through on what he says so we could be at nuclear war next week, or maybe being gay will be outlawed, or ....well none of it looks good.  

I had a student last week ask me whether I thought Trump was genuinely crazy or whether his comments on North Korea could be part of a "madman strategy" (a la Nixon).

I said I didn't know.

I'm starting to seriously wonder whether the two propositions are mutually exclusive though. Trump could very well be a crazy person thinking it's smart to appear even crazier in order to intimidate foreign nations.

Corker called the White House and adult day care center and questioned whether someone had missed their shift. lol

WASHINGTON — President Trump fired back at criticism from a Republican senator on Sunday, saying Sen. Bob Corker was a "negative voice" in the Senate and was responsible for the "horrendous" Iran nuclear deal.

Trump's Sunday morning Twitter salvo followed weeks of increasing criticism of the president by Corker, who announced last week that he would not run for re-election in 2018.

"Senator Bob Corker 'begged' me to endorse him for re-election in Tennessee. I said 'NO' and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement)," Trump said in a series of tweets. "He also wanted to be secretary of State, I said 'NO THANKS.' He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran deal!

"Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. Didn't have the guts to run!"

Corker fired back on Twitter later Sunday morning: "It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/08/trump-blasts-sen-bob-corker-negative-voice-gop-agenda/744071001/

I think the narrative of there being "an adult in the room" is over, these adults have no power. Kelly is a colossal failure as any kind of stabilizing force, Tillerson was never great at his job but Trump has ensured that he has zero credibility, and Mattis' public statements appear to put him at odds with Trump regarding Iran and NK. Trump has a harem of former professionals who are there for him to abuse and debase as he sees fit and I don't think any them have influence over Tangerine Nightmare.

I found this Breitbart article fascinating:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2017/10/07/nolte-playboys-hugh-hefner-liberated-us-straight-hell/

Aided by the Pill, a welfare state that rewarded single-motherhood, and America’s ruling class normalizing deviancy through the unholy alchemy of “sophistication,” those acts of self-degradation flew off the pages of Playboy and into a very real sexual revolution.

[...] those like Hefner who could afford “all the fine pleasures of life” could also financially afford to paper over the emotional and physical wreckage that comes with decadence.

No matter what the system looks like, America’s Beautiful People will always survive and flourish. But Hefner was the first to come along and warp the system into one where only the Beautiful People could survive and flourish.

And so, among those who could not afford “all the pleasures of life”; who could not afford the abortions, alimony, and child support; who did not look like a Playboy Bunny; and could not surround himself with Bunnies willing to not complicate his life after a loveless encounter — among us everyday folks who actually have to look into the eyes of life’s consequences, the casualties mounted…

Divorce, broken homes, bankruptcy, generations of children raised by a single parent, sexually-transmitted diseases, addiction, AIDs, early death, loneliness, despair, guilt, spiritual ruin, and 58 million innocent children butchered in the one place they should be safest, in their own mother’s womb.

The reason I like reading Breitbart is because it gives you this kind of incredible insight into the conservative mind, that quite frankly, I would have a hard time believing if it wasn't right there on the -internet- page.

There's so much to unwrap here. The hatred for the sexual liberation, the idea of a moral decadence, the idealization of the past... etc.
The article also lays bare some of the fundamental contradictions of modern conservatism. For instance, the author starts by reaffirming his dedication to individual rights and the first amendment, and then goes on to lament the consequences.

Archived