The Transporter

Effective Leadership

6 posts in this topic

Listed below are what I consider to be the best examples of capable leadership within the novels.

1. Formation of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.  (Aegon Targaryen)
  2. Unification of the wildlings under one king.  (Mance Rayder)
  3. Successfully leading the khalasar through the Red Waste.  (Daenerys Targaryen)
  4. Defending King's Landing against Stannis.  (Tyrion Lannister)
  5. Relocating the Targaryen family from Valyria to Dragonstone.  (Aenar Targaryen)

Good list, but I'm not sure about Aenar. I mean all he did was move. Seems like the odd man out.

I don't really agree with the Daenerys one. Going through the Red Waste was a horrible decision. Sure, it worked out okay (though it almost ended far worse), but that doesn't mean it was a good decision, nor that it was proof of Daenerys's capable leadership. She should've made a better decision, but instead she decided to follow the pretty comet. Though, to be fair, she wasn't in a great position, and she didn't have any truly good decisions she could've made. I... suppose you could say that she made the best of a bad situation (which is a very good thing for a leader to be able to do), but I don't know that she really made the best decision, regardless of how well it turned out.

It's kind of like if I jumped off of a cliff, somehow landed on something soft, and found a diamond. Sure, great, it worked out, but jumping off of that cliff is still not something to be lauded.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

I don't really agree with the Daenerys one. Going through the Red Waste was a horrible decision. Sure, it worked out okay (though it almost ended far worse), but that doesn't mean it was a good decision, nor that it was proof of Daenerys's capable leadership. She should've made a better decision, but instead she decided to follow the pretty comet. Though, to be fair, she wasn't in a great position, and she didn't have any truly good decisions she could've made. I... suppose you could say that she made the best of a bad situation (which is a very good thing for a leader to be able to do), but I don't know that she really made the best decision, regardless of how well it turned out.

It's kind of like if I jumped off of a cliff, somehow landed on something soft, and found a diamond. Sure, great, it worked out, but jumping off of that cliff is still not something to be lauded.

Going through the red waste was the only good decision that was available to her. It was either that, or go one of the other ways and risk getting killed or enslaved. It's not a decision she made impulsively (Jorah insists on it). Also, she follows the red comet because there's nothing else to do. And the Dothraki are superstitious, so following the comet keep their hope and faith intact (the reason for her vocal insistence on following the comet). In the end, it turns out to be the right decision. Whether it was coincidence or not depends. The red comet obviously has magical connotations in the books. And it was the bloodrider that followed the comet who finds Quarth, Dany's destination after that dead city. I wouldn't say Dany's decision in this regard is like jumping off a cliff. She faced an impossible situation and did the best she could. If she had jumped off a cliff, she would have abandoned the remains of Drogo's khalasar and sailed off to Asshai with Jorah. She doesn't do that. She stays with the elderly and the sick and leads them to safety. She's a bit like Nymeria (the Rhoynar queen) in this regard. 

Edited by Ghost+Nymeria4Eva

Posted (edited)

On 10/7/2017 at 10:34 PM, The Transporter said:

Listed below are what I consider to be the best examples of capable leadership within the novels.

1. Formation of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.  (Aegon Targaryen)
  2. Unification of the wildlings under one king.  (Mance Rayder)
  3. Successfully leading the khalasar through the Red Waste.  (Daenerys Targaryen)
  4. Defending King's Landing against Stannis.  (Tyrion Lannister)
  5. Relocating the Targaryen family from Valyria to Dragonstone.  (Aenar Targaryen)

That was awesome accomplishment.  She had to be strong for all of them.  Her khalasar was small, with women and old men among the ranks.  She got them through and into Vaes Toloro.  Dany is a natural leader and very good at it.

23 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Good list, but I'm not sure about Aenar. I mean all he did was move. Seems like the odd man out.

I can agree with you a little bit.  To his credit, Aenar set aside his pride and must have taken financial loses when he sold his considerable holdings back home in Valyria.  He was ridiculed back home and yet he remained steadfast and moved his House to a backwards outpost.  I predict the same situation will face the lords of Westeros during the long night and those who swallow their pride and migrate to safety will survive and inherit what's left when winter finally ends, just like the Targaryens inherited the world after the Doom.

Edited by 300 H&H Magnum