Wow, I never noticed that v.16

"I am named Mirri Maz Duur. I am godswife of this temple."

"Maegi," grunted Haggo, fingering his arakh. His look was dark. Dany remembered the word from a terrifying story that Jhiqui had told her one night by the cookfire. A maegi was a woman who lay with demons and practiced the blackest of sorceries, a vile thing, evil and soulless, who came to men in the dark of night and sucked life and strength from their bodies.

Daenerys VII, Game 61

Hmm... “A maegi was a woman who lay with demons and practiced the blackest of sorceries...”Yeap, she’s that...

"Save him, and I will free you, I swear it. You must know a way . . . some magic, some . . . "

Mirri Maz Duur sat back on her heels and studied Daenerys through eyes as black as night. "There is a spell." Her voice was quiet, scarcely more than a whisper. "But it is hard, lady, and dark. Some would say that death is cleaner. I learned the way inAsshai, and paid dear for the lesson. My teacher was a bloodmage from the Shadow Lands."

Dany went cold all over. "Then you truly are amaegi . . . "

"Am I?" Mirri Maz Duur smiled. "Only a maegi can save your rider now, Silver Lady."

"It is not a matter of gold or horses. This is bloodmagic, lady. Only death may pay for life."

The stallion kicked and reared as Rakharo, Quaro, and Aggo pulled him close to the tub where the khal floated like one already dead, pus and blood seeping from his wound to stain the bathwatets. Mirri Maz Duur chanted words in a tongue that Dany did not know, and a knife appeared in her hand. Dany never saw where it came from. It looked old; hammered red bronze, leaf-shaped, its blade covered with ancient glyphs. The maegidrew it across the stallion's throat, under the noble head, and the horse screamed and shuddered as the blood poured out of him in a red rush. He would have collapsed, but the men of her khasheld him up. "Strength of the mount, go into the rider," Mirri sang as horse blood swirled into the waters of Drogo's bath. "Strength of the beast, go into the man."

"Go with them, Silver Lady," Mirri Maz Duur told her.

"I will stay," Dany said. "The man took me under the stars and gave life to the child inside me. I will not leave him."

"You must. Once I begin to sing, no one must enter this tent. My song will wake powers old and dark. The dead will dance here this night. No living man must look on them."

Mirri Maz Duur's voice rose to a high, ululating wail that sent a shiver down Dany's back. Some of the Dothraki began to mutter and back away. The tent was aglow with the light of braziers within. Through the blood-spattered sandsilk, she glimpsed shadows moving.

Mirri Maz Duur was dancing, and not alone.

... Mirri Maz Duur wailing inside the tent like nothing human ...

The sound of Mirri Maz Duur's voice was like a funeral dirge. Inside the tent, the shadows whirled.

Inside the tent the shapes were dancing, circling the brazier and the bloody bath, dark against the sandsilk, and some did not look human. She glimpsed the shadow of a great wolf, and another like a man wreathed in flames.

Daenerys VIII, Game 64

“... A vile thing, evil and soulless, who came to men in the dark of night and sucked life and strength from their bodies.”

Isn’t that pretty much what Mirri Maz  Duur did?

When Tyrion comes to KL, Varys gives him a riddle where a commoner with a sword is torn between a king, a priest, and a rich man. 

ACOK Tyrion I

"May I leave you with a bit of a riddle, Lord Tyrion?" He did not wait for an answer. "In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me—who lives and who dies?" Bowing deeply, the eunuch hurried from the common room on soft slippered feet.

Tyrion doesn't have the gravity of Tywin, thus the Lannister servants are torn between following the orders of Tyrion (Tywin's chosen), Cersei the Queen Regent, and the underage King. 

ACOK Tyrion I

An hour later, Tyrion rode from the Red Keep accompanied by a dozen Lannister guardsmen in crimson cloaks and lion-crested halfhelms. As they passed beneath the portcullis, he noted the heads mounted atop the walls. Black with rot and old tar, they had long since become unrecognizable. "Captain Vylarr," he called, "I want those taken down on the morrow. Give them to the silent sisters for cleaning." It would be hell to match them with the bodies, he supposed, yet it must be done. Even in the midst of war, certain decencies needed to be observed.

Vylarr grew hesitant. "His Grace has told us he wishes the traitors' heads to remain on the walls until he fills those last three empty spikes there on the end."

"Let me hazard a wild stab. One is for Robb Stark, the others for Lords Stannis and Renly. Would that be right?"

"Yes, my lord."

"My nephew is thirteen years old today, Vylarr. Try and recall that. I'll have the heads down on the morrow, or one of those empty spikes may have a different lodger. Do you take my meaning, Captain?"

"I'll see that they're taken down myself, my lord." 

ACOK Tyrion II

Varys covered his mouth with his hand. "You are very cruel to say so. One last matter. Lady Tanda gave a small supper last night. I have the menu and the guest list for your inspection. When the wine was poured, Lord Gyles rose to lift a cup to the king, and Ser Balon Swann was heard to remark, 'We'll need three cups for that.' Many laughed . . ." 

Joffrey is the king. Tyrion is the rich man. Cersei is the priest who gains authority in Aphrodite’s seduction fashion and issues orders as if a
god(dess).

AGOT Tyrion VIII

His brother Jaime had always been able to make men follow him eagerly, and die for him if need be. Tyrion lacked that gift. He bought loyalty with gold, and compelled obedience with his name. "A bigger man would be able to put the fear in them, is that what you're saying, my lord?"

ACOK Tyrion IV

Mounted on her white palfrey, Cersei towered high above him, a goddess in green. "Brother," she called out, not warmly. The queen had not been pleased by the way he'd dealt with Janos Slynt.

ACOK Tyrion III

"The gods made our bodies as well as our souls, is it not so? They give us voices, so we might worship them with song. They give us hands, so we might build them temples. And they give us desire, so we might mate and worship them in that way."

"Remind me to tell the High Septon," said Tyrion. "If I could pray with my cock, I'd be much more religious." He waved a hand. "I will gladly accept your suggestion."

"Here's something you don't know. It wasn't supposed to happen like it did. I was set to leave, wagons bought and loaded, and a man comes with a boy for me, and a purse of coin, and a message, never mind who it's from. Lord Eddard's to take the black, he says to me, wait, he'll be going with you. Why d'you think I was there? Only something went queer."

Arya I, Clash 1

Wow I never noticed that the teamster was Yoren...

Arya squirmed through the press, ducking between the legs of horses and clutching tight to her sword stick. From the middle of the crowd, all she could see were arms and legs and stomachs, and the seven slender towers of the sept looming overhead. She spotted a wood wagon and thought to climb up on the back where she might be able to see, but others had the same idea. The teamster cursed at them and drove them off with a crack of his whip.

Arya V, Game 65

I thought this was interesting;

He was not a man you'd expect to speak of maids and wedding nights. So far as Jon knew, Qhorin had spent his whole life in the Watch. Did he ever love a maid or have a wedding? He could not ask. Instead he fanned the fire. When the blaze was all acrackle, he peeled off his stiff gloves to warm his hands, and sighed, wondering if ever a kiss had felt as good. The warmth spread through his fingers like melting butter. (Jon VIII, Clash 68)

10 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I thought this was interesting;

He was not a man you'd expect to speak of maids and wedding nights. So far as Jon knew, Qhorin had spent his whole life in the Watch. Did he ever love a maid or have a wedding? He could not ask. Instead he fanned the fire. When the blaze was all acrackle, he peeled off his stiff gloves to warm his hands, and sighed, wondering if ever a kiss had felt as good. The warmth spread through his fingers like melting butter. (Jon VIII, Clash 68)

Another "kissed by fire" reference in Jon's story:

Spinning, Jon saw the drapes he'd ripped from the window. He flung the lamp into the puddled cloth with both hands. Metal crunched, glass shattered, oil spewed, and the hangings went up in a great whoosh of flame. The heat of it on his face was sweeter than any kiss Jon had ever known. "Ghost!" he shouted. (Jon VII, AGOT)

ADWD, Tyrion VIII:

Penny did not seem to hear that. “It was Father’s idea to do the tilts. He even trained the first pig, but by then he was too sick to ride her, so Oppo took his place. I always rode the dog. We performed for the Sealord of Braavos once, and he laughed so hard that afterward he gave each of us a … a grand gift.”

a dragon egg.

“Is that where my sister found you? In Braavos?”

“Your sister?” The girl looked lost. “Queen Cersei.”

Penny shook her head. “She never … it was a man who came to us, in Pentos. Osmund. No, Oswald. Something like that. Oppo met with him, not me. Oppo made all of our arrangements. My brother always knew what to do, where we should go next.”

Osmund Kettleblack.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Osmund_Kettleblack

"Ser Osmund Kettleblack is a member of House Kettleblack who claims to be a hedge knight. He is the son of Oswell Kettleblack and he has two brothers, Osfryd and Osney. In A Storm of Swords, he is mistakenly called Oswald Kettleblack in chapter 67 and chapter 70."

37 minutes ago, Megorova said:

ADWD, Tyrion VIII:

a dragon egg.

Osmund Kettleblack.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Osmund_Kettleblack

"Ser Osmund Kettleblack is a member of House Kettleblack who claims to be a hedge knight. He is the son of Oswell Kettleblack and he has two brothers, Osfryd and Osney. In A Storm of Swords, he is mistakenly called Oswald Kettleblack in chapter 67 and chapter 70."

Yes! I'm so glad you see this, too. (And this.)

I think this could lead to some interesting future revelations.

I was younger than you, six, maybe seven. A woodcarver set up shop in the village under my father’s keep, and to buy favor he sent us gifts. The old man made marvelous toys. I don’t remember what I got, but it was Gregor’s gift I wanted. A wooden knight, all painted up, every joint pegged separate and fixed with strings, so you could make him fight. Gregor is five years older than me, the toy was nothing to him, he was already a squire, near six foot tall and muscled like an ox. So I took his knight, but there was no joy to it, I tell you. I was scared all the while, and true enough, he found me.

(AGoT, Sansa II)

The Hound snatched up the end of the rope from the man holding it. "Let's see if she can dance," he said, and gave a yank.

Brienne felt the hemp constricting, digging into her skin, jerking her chin upward. . . . All she could see was Podrick, the noose around his thin neck, his legs twitching. . . .

(AFfC, Brienne VIII)

Maybe these examples were already discussed in the Pinocchio thread. I just noticed them.

On a hill overlooking the kingsroad, a long trestle table of rough-hewn pine had been erected beneath an elm tree and covered with a golden cloth. There, beside his pavilion, Lord Tywin took his evening meal with his chief knights and lordsbannermen, his great crimson-and-gold standard waving overhead from a lofty pike.

Tyrion arrived late, saddlesore, and sour, all too vividly aware of how amusing he must look as he waddled up the slope to his father. The day's march had been long and tiring. He thought he might get quite drunk tonight. It was twilight, and the air was alive with drifting fireflies.

The cooks were serving the meat course: five suckling pigs, skin seared and crackling, a different fruit in every mouth. The smell made his mouth water. ...

Lord Tywin inclined his head, dismissing him.Tyrion turned and walked away. He was conscious of their eyes on his back as he waddled down the hill. A great gust of laughter went up from behind him, but he did not look back. He hoped they all choked on their suckling pigs.

Dusk had settled, turning all the banners black.

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

The pork and Tyrion’s desire for, but eventual inability to enjoy, it serves as a reinforcing backdrop for his feelings as Tywin tells Tyrion that he will serve in, but not command, Tywin’svanguard in the Battle of the Green Fork. But notice that there are five suckling pigs, and that this is the first great battle we see first-hand in the War of the Five Kings, which will come to Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Robb, and Balon. Tywin will win the war, but the Lannisters will choke on the victory thanks to Petyr. And eventually, all the houses of Westeros will have no alternative but to confront what’s blowing on the cold winds rising in the north, beyond the wall, turning all banners black.

4 hours ago, Seams said:

Yes! I'm so glad you see this, too. (And this.)

I think this could lead to some interesting future revelations.

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If they'd been given even one dragon egg, they would have had enough to set themselves up comfortably for life. 

I don't think that Penny still has those dragon eggs. I think that shortly after those eggs were given to them, somehow they (eggs) ended up as Illyrio's property. Could be that he bought them from those dwarfs. But they weren't very smart, so he didn't payed them real price of those eggs, just gave them some money.

I think so because GRRM wrote that it happened in Braavos, and then mentioned Pentos (in part about Osmund). When Targaryens lived in Braavos, they were under watch of Varys and Illyrio. And Pentos is Illyrio's city. So those two eggs could be Viserion's and Rhaegel's. While the egg from which Drogon hatched, could be the one from Whitewalls. Could be that over time, dragon egg can slightly change its colors, because it's alive.

This is Drogon's coloring:

The last was black, as black as a midnight sea, yet alive with scarlet ripples and swirls.

And this is egg from Whitewalls:

Fine red scales covered its surface, shining bright as jewels by the light of lamps and candles. Dunk dropped the dwarf and picked up the egg, just to feel it for a moment. It was heavier than he'd expected. You could smash a man's head with this, and never crack the shell. The scales were smooth beneath his fingers, and the deep, rich red seemed to shimmer as he turned the egg in his hands. Blood and flame, he thought, but there were gold flecks in it as well, and whorls of midnight black.

So could be that in span of those 90 years, the black color has spread over egg's surface, "ate" golden flecks and became dominiring color, while from red color, that was originally main, were left only ripples and swirls.

This is when Lord Tywin resolved to begin his courtship of the Lords of Bolton and Frey...

Lord Tywin unrolled the leather, smoothing it flat. "Jaime has left us in a bad way. Roose Bolton and the remnants of his host are north of us. Our enemies hold the Twins and Moat Cailin. Robb Stark sits to the west, so we cannot retreat to Lannisport and the Rock unless we choose to give battle. Jaime is taken, and his army for all purposes has ceased to exist. Thoros of Myr  and Beric Dondarrion continue to plague our foraging parties. To our east we have the Arryns, Stannis Baratheon sits on Dragonstone, and in the southHighgarden and Storm's End are calling their banners."

Tyrion smiled crookedly. "Take heart, Father. At least Rhaegar Targaryen is still dead."

"I had hoped you might have more to offer us than japes, Tyrion," Lord Tywin Lannister said.

Ser Kevan frowned over the map, forehead creasing. "Robb Stark will have Edmure Tully and the lords of the Trident with him now. Their combined power may exceed our own. And withRoose Bolton behind us . . . Tywin, if we remain here, I fear we might be caught between three armies."

"I have no intention of remaining here. We must finish our business with young Lord Stark before Renly Baratheon can march from Highgarden. Bolton does not concern me. He is a wary man, and we made him warier on the Green Fork. He will be slow to give pursuit. So . . . on the morrow, we make for Harrenhal. Kevan, I want Ser Addam's outriders to screen our movements. Give him as many men as he requires, and send them out in groups of four. I will have no vanishings."

"As you say, my lord, but . . . why Harrenhal? That is a grim, unlucky place. Some call it cursed."

"Let them," Lord Tywin said. "Unleash Ser Gregorand send him before us with his reavers. Send forth Vargo Hoat and his freeriders as well, and Ser Armory Lorch. Each is to have three hundred horse. Tell them I want to see the Riverlands afire from the Gods Eye to the Red Fork."

"They will burn, my lord," Ser Kevan said, rising. "I shall give the commands." He bowed and made for the door.

When they were alone, Lord Tywin glanced at Tyrion. "Your savages might relish a bit of rapine. Tell them they may ride with Vargo Hoat and plunder as they like—goods, stock, women, they may take what they want and burn the rest."

"Telling Shagga and Timett how to pillage is like telling a rooster how to crow," Tyrion commented, "but I should prefer to keep them with me." Uncouth and unruly they might be, yet the wildlings were his, and he trusted them more than any of his father's men. He was not about to hand them over.

"Then you had best learn to control them. I will not have the city plundered."

"The city?" Tyrion was lost. "What city would that be?"

"King's Landing. I am sending you to court."

It was the last thing Tyrion Lannister would ever have anticipated.

He reached for his wine, and considered for a moment as he sipped. "And what am I to do there?"

"Rule," his father said curtly.

Tyrion IX, Game 69

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning . . . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?" The king moved, so his shadow fell upon King's Landing. "If Joffrey should die . . . what is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?"

I have always thought this as the end of Stannis, but seing as how the prophecies are often misinterpreted, could this be some other king who is burning? Or someone else who just looks like a king?

One arrow took Mance Rayder in the chest, one in the gut, one in the throat. The fourth struck one of the cage's wooden bars, and quivered for an instant before catching fire. A woman's sobs echoed off the Wall as the wildling king slid bonelessly to the floor of his cage, wreathed in fire. "And now his Watch is done," Jon murmured softly. Mance Rayder had been a man of the Night's Watch once, before he changed his black cloak for one slashed with bright red silk. 
Up on the platform, Stannis was scowling. Jon refused to meet his eyes. The bottom had fallen out of the wooden cage, and its bars were crumbling. Every time the fire licked upward, more branches tumbled free, cherry red and black. "The Lord of Light made the sun and moon and stars to light our way, and gave us fire to keep the night at bay," Melisandre told the wildlings. "None can withstand his flames."

Though I can't give quotes on it right now, this wouldn't be the first time of such a thing happening; 

Stannis sees a vision of Renly defeating him on blackwater, and indeed this happens despite Renly dying at the hand of a shadow assassin, only it's  not really Renly but Garlan wearing Renly's armor.

Also a fun note; I have never noticed lord of bones whose bone armor is given to dance slids bonelessly when he is killed.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I have always thought this as the end of Stannis, but seing as how the prophecies are often misinterpreted, could this be some other king who is burning? Or someone else who just looks like a king?

Though I can't give quotes on it right now, this wouldn't be the first time of such a thing happening; 

Stannis sees a vision of Renly defeating him on blackwater, and indeed this happens despite Renly dying at the hand of a shadow assassin, only it's  not really Renly but Garlan wearing Renly's armor.

Also a fun note; I have never noticed lord of bones whose bone armor is given to dance slids bonelessly when he is killed.

Absolutely it could refer to the presumed Mance. I don't think it does, but your suggestion is eminently reasonable. The reason I think it's Stannis is that the Undying visions suggest that Daenerys will slay him, and well... she has this great, big fire-breathing dragon...

30 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Absolutely it could refer to the presumed Mance. I don't think it does, but your suggestion is eminently reasonable.

Or even Viserys? Who was consumed by his burning crown?

30 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The reason I think it's Stannis is that the Undying visions suggest that Daenerys will slay him, and well... she has this great, big fire-breathing dragon...

Yes, I have to agree this is the my favorite interpretation. 

Although if you read the quote sited above... Stannis’s shadow falls on King’s Landing... So is he the king with no shadow? His shadows appear to be pretty effective assassins for being nonexistent.

11 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

A vision of something that already happened is a lot less fun. 

So true...

but random thought/question...

Does anyone see the past using fire/fire magic in the series so far?

Weirwoods see back in time, and we know fires see (possible?) futures... but can the fires see the past?

Archived