The Gifted (Fox X-Men universe TV series) [spoilers]

Corvinus85

I'm surprised we don't have a thread for this yet, but we do for the Inhumans TV shows. I would say this one is definitely better than Inhumans. 

For anyone who hasn't watched it yet, here is some info based on the first two episodes we've had so far, and the little I've read.

The show is connected to the movie series in some capacity, as both the X-Men and the Brotherhood are mentioned several times, however, it appears that the X-Men have disappeared. No idea if any X-Men character will appear, and whether or not the same actors will play them. One mutant from Days of Future Past seems to be a major character in the show - Blink; however, she is played by a different actor. The biggest connection with the movies is that Brian Singer directed the first episode, and it featured a Stan Lee cameo. And that beats all other Marvel-based TV shows to date, I think. :D

The story is set in a reality, where, as I mentioned the X-Men have mysteriously disappeared, mutants, while allowed to co-exist with the human population, are probably required to register, are monitored by the Sentinels Services agency, and are quickly hunted down for any infraction. Robot Sentinels in the shape of spiders appear in the first episode.

The story concentrates on the Strucker family - the father, Reed Strucker, is a federal prosecutor who works on mutant cases, but is forced into trying to hide his family from the authorities when it is discovered that both his teenage kids are mutants. Other major characters are mutants part of an underground network that try to help mutants who are hunted by the authorities.

So far I like it well enough, even if it does give me some major Heroes vibes.

I can't say I care much for the kids, but otherwise I like the Mutant Underground they have chosen an nice set of X-Men characters to use with Thunderbird, Blink and Polaris. 

Plus Garret Dillahunt is apparently in it, which was a nice surprise.

Sure I watch it, 'cause I could never resist  quaint little scenes of how pig-headed and fearful humans can be. Fuck knows one hardly sees that in real life in 2017.:rolleyes:

A minor observation: they made too big a deal of that scene that revealed Polaris has green hair.  Seriously?  If she had Doc Ock's tentacles for hair, sure, but green tinted locks? 

PS I hope this doesn't mean we won't be seeing movie Blink anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite the themes of the show being all too familiar, it is still regrettably relevant and the most recent ep works gosh-darned well for me.

Lost touch with the X-men years ago so I should look up whether Dreamer and Eclipse have comic-book equivalents.

I also like that they take their codenames seriously.

PS Polaris being so pale kinda makes her look like the Joker's daughter.  

Not that I really mind.

• 4 weeks later...

So, no one's watching this? It's shaping up to be the best Marvel show... I mean, there is Legion, but I find it a bit heavy to digest. The Gifted is much more fun.

Marvel Fox is definitely not in the same league as Marvel TV...

On 17/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, Ran said:

I doubt there is any link to Baron Von Strucker...

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

So, no one's watching this? It's shaping up to be the best Marvel show... I mean, there is Legion, but I find it a bit heavy to digest. The Gifted is much more fun.

They may not say so directly, but this all sounds like they're borrowing very heavily.

On 18/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, Pliskin said:

Better or worse? I think Fox has a better hit ratio but that's only with two shows. I've yet to watch gifted as there's that many disappointing comic adaptations running around I like to give them some time before giving them a go. To be honest I don't bother with non netflix Marvel shows or any DC show at the moment (although I'd probably give a 12 ep prestige take on a DC character if FX, HBO etc attempted it)

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Well, I was just praising The Gifted... so of course better.

We're on the same page - I think I tend to process "X isn't in the same league as Y" as "X is better than Y". Probably a cultural/personal thing as could mean both.

I don't know whether someone at Fox got in charge and threw out a remit to be more creative with the film and TV or whether they were already planning on trying to sell it back to Marvel and had a "fuck it, do we want" approach.

• 1 month later...

I've seen the first 10 episodes now, I think it's a good show. One weakness is that I find some of the characters and subplots a bit dull - the younger Strucker may be a believable teenage boy but I don't find him all that interesting and I don't care much about the Marco/Cartel plotline. I do think Stephen Moyer and Amy Acker do a good job as the elder Struckers. I think it does a good job with the contrasting antagonists, Dr Campbell comes across a cold-blooded psychopath while Agent Turner is much more conflicted about what they are doing. I think they've also done a good job with some of the big set-pieces such as the break-out from the prison transport.

Archived