Family Defining Features - Will No Longer Get Updates

Corvo the Crow

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 2:26 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

What are some other familial features?

1. Crakehalls - Have big, sturdy frames.  All their women are "s--ts" according to one Lord Walder Frey, but never mind about that.  Gotta love Walder!
  2. Umbers, Mormonts, and Cleganes - Big and tall.  
  3. Manderlys - Obesity runs in the family.
  4. Starks - Horse face appearance.  

1 hour ago, Pikachu101 said:

Minus hair and eye colour there are other defining features from houses:

• Florents: large ears
  • Webbers: webbed feet
  • Cleganes: ridiculously tall
  • Sangstar: freckly 

Webbers don't have webbed feet. I think you confused them with the Borells. Must be from the name haha :D

• 4 weeks later...

I only just noticed this

She looked enough like Arya to give him pause, but only for a moment. A tall, skinny, coltish girl, all legs and elbows, her brown hair was woven in a thick braid and bound about with strips of leather. She had a long face, a pointy chin, small ears.

But she was too old, far too old. This girl is almost of an age with me. "Has she eaten?" Jon asked Mully.

Pointy chin and small ears could be part of the Stark look.

This is a bit of a stretch... But the Mallisters are likely pretty tall healthy guys. And likely have blue eyes 

Lord Jason is described as lean and has a gaunt face. But he's also noted as being tall.

Denys is still (somehow) on the wall so he must have been a strong healthy dude in his prime. His eyes are described as blue-grey but that's probably a mixture of age and bc he's lived his days out on the wall so it's showing on him. Lol 

Patrek son of Lord Jason I can't remember any physical description on him at all but he served in Robb's Personal Guard during both the whispering wood and the red wedding. So he's most likely also in very good shape. 

37 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

This is a bit of a stretch... But the Mallisters are likely pretty tall healthy guys. And likely have blue eyes 

Lord Jason is described as lean and has a gaunt face. But he's also noted as being tall.

Denys is still (somehow) on the wall so he must have been a strong healthy dude in his prime. His eyes are described as blue-grey but that's probably a mixture of age and bc he's lived his days out on the wall so it's showing on him. Lol 

Patrek son of Lord Jason I can't remember any physical description on him at all but he served in Robb's Personal Guard during both the whispering wood and the red wedding. So he's most likely also in very good shape. 

They are actually listed on the first post and yes, as you said they have blue eyes.

21 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Yes I was adding to their physical similarities with the tall strapping features to go along with the 2 examples of blue eyes in the family 

Only tall one is Jason Mallister though. We don't have anything on Patrek or Denys being tall. The other two could very well be short, unlike Jason. Some similar examples would be Royces and Mormonts. Alysanne and Maege are short, Jorah is short, at least compared to Barristan and Jeor is never described as tall but despite the family overall seems to be tending on the short side Dacey is tall. Most Royces we see are described as tall or even massive but Myranda is short.

Nymeria Sand was five-and-twenty, and slender as a willow. Her straight black hair, worn in a long braid bound up with red-gold wire, made a widow's peak above her dark eyes, just as her father's had. With her high cheekbones, full lips, and milk-pale skin, she had all the beauty that her elder sister lacked . . . but Obara's mother had been an Oldtown whore, whilst Nym was born from the noblest blood of old Volantis. A dozen mounted spearmen tailed her, their round shields gleaming in the sun. They followed her down the dune.

Could high cheekbones be part of the Valyrian look? There aren't that many mentions of highcheek bones, though I found one mention of a Valyrian with it.

"Not clever enough?" The speaker wore a black cloak bordered in scarlet satin, but underneath was raiment bright as flame, all reds and yellows and golds. Slim and straight as a dirk, though only of middling height, he was near Dunk's own age. Curls of silver-gold hair framed a face sculpted and imperious; high brow and sharp cheekbones, straight nose, pale smooth skin without blemish. His eyes were a deep violet color. "If you cannot manage a horse, fetch me some wine and a pretty wench."

On 10/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Baratheons(possibly Durrandons): Blue eyes, Coarse Black Hair. They are tall. Broad in the shoulder and perhaps also chest (Robert and Edric) Their other defining features are their jaws (possibly square, Stannis) and their cheekbones (possibly high, considering Orys is supposedly a bastard Targaryen).

Being broad of shoulder and chest is a feature of Robert's and his sons (both Edric and Gendry share it) but not a Baratheon feature per se. Renly is described as a younger version of Robert, only less muscled and not as broad of shoulder (Ned's POV) and he's described as "lithe" in Brienne's POV (being compared to Gendry). Stannis is not broad or muscled either. I'd say the "Baratheon features" all of them share are eyes and hair. Other characteristics seem to vary more. 

24 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Not all Valyrians have purpleish eyes. Very light blond or silver hair seems to be more important. Targaeryans have lilac/purple/indigo eyes, but the Velaryons (of straight Valyrian descent as well) have green eyes.

Besides Aurane who has grey green eyes,can you give any examples of a Velaryon who has green eyes? Only other Velaryon with eye color given I could find is Laenor with the purple Valyrian eyes.

Also Lyseni share the eyes with Targaryens too so it's certainly a trait shared by most Valyrians, if Velaryons have green eyes, then it's probably a feature that defines their family look, but is gained later on, like Waynewoods likely gaining the horseface from Starks.

On 11-10-2017 at 0:57 AM, Lynesse said:

Regarding the Tullys being tall-ish: both Catelyn and Lysa are described as being taller than Littlefinger, which might point to above average height for a female.

Littlefinger is a "small man". Arya describes Littlefinger as "small" when she notices him at Baelor's Sept shorlty before Ned's beheading. It doesn't make any woman above average height... though Catelyn is indeed above average height (as is Sansa)

On 10/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Waynwoods: They are horse faced and have brown hair. However this is likely due to a recent Stark ancestor and they may have lost their own familial features, if they had any to begin with.

Excellent job so far most of the features you mention seem very likely to be family features, however wen it comes to the Waynwoods i do have a small remark.

The Waynwoods we see in the series are not necessarily the descendants of Jocelyn Stark, i remember a heated discussion a few years ago, followed by several people contributing to a calculation that had as a result that lady Anya Waynwood  was to old to be Jocelyn's granddaughter. However there is off course the possibility that Jocelyn her Waynwood descendants married back into the main line, but i would be careful with the assumption off Stark blood in the Waynwoods we have seen in the series so far.

3 hours ago, direpupy said:

Excellent job so far most of the features you mention seem very likely to be family features, however wen it comes to the Waynwoods i do have a small remark.

The Waynwoods we see in the series are not necessarily the descendants of Jocelyn Stark, i remember a heated discussion a few years ago, followed by several people contributing to a calculation that had as a result that lady Anya Waynwood  was to old to be Jocelyn's granddaughter. However there is off course the possibility that Jocelyn her Waynwood descendants married back into the main line, but i would be careful with the assumption off Stark blood in the Waynwoods we have seen in the series so far.

While it could be a stretch for them to be Stark descendants under some circumstances, we even get a small nod towards it being true in TWOW Alayne

Spoiler
Alayne did not dignify that question with an answer. "Lady Waynwood will be here soon, with her sons."
"Is that a promise or a threat?" Myranda said. "The first Lady Waynwood must have been a mare, I think. How else to explain why all the Waynwood men are horse-faced? If I were ever to wed a Waynwood, he would have to swear a vow to don his helm whenever he wished to fuck me, and keep the visor closed." She gave Alayne a pinch on the arm. "My Harry will be with them, though. I notice that you left him out. I shall never forgive you for stealing him away from me. He's the boy I want to marry."

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

While it could be a stretch for them to be Stark descendants under some circumstances, we even get a small nod towards it being true in TWOW Alayne

Hide contents
Alayne did not dignify that question with an answer. "Lady Waynwood will be here soon, with her sons."
"Is that a promise or a threat?" Myranda said. "The first Lady Waynwood must have been a mare, I think. How else to explain why all the Waynwood men are horse-faced? If I were ever to wed a Waynwood, he would have to swear a vow to don his helm whenever he wished to fuck me, and keep the visor closed." She gave Alayne a pinch on the arm. "My Harry will be with them, though. I notice that you left him out. I shall never forgive you for stealing him away from me. He's the boy I want to marry."

I know, that's why i do not discount it as a possibility, but do warn against taking it as a certainty.

As i said the descendants of Jocelyn could have married back into the main Waynwood line, thus leaving the possibility open.

Archived