Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I seem to recall him making disparaging remarks about Rebecca and some seedy comments about women in general but might be wrong about that.

I never expected a return from Greg myself, but even so I got stupidly excited from Rebecca walking into that bar (That’s where Greg did his study drinking! I shouted at the TV) and was practically jumping up and down when “Oh my god I think I like you” started playing in the background. And was crushed when it was a mistaken call. I am glad it seems unlikely they bring him back though, much as I liked him it’s probably for the best narrative wise.

You might be right, I vaguely remember him not being the most respectful person either. But honestly I did not pay that much attention to him. He was one of the last characters I would expect to see again, since he was only connected to Rebecca's plot through Greg.

Me too, I recognised the bar at once. :wub: But yes, him staying away makes the most sense both for the narrative as well as for his character.

Yes Jarl was creepy but he still provided the more overtly comedic scenes this episode. We should thank the Danish school system for that! :D 

Rebecca’s hurtful rant was all the more difficult to watch because I recognise the behaviour having acted similarly myself towards my loved ones when they try to step in and help me. And yes, that includes throwing tsomewhat truthful thing so in their faces in order to hurt them. I’m not proud of them but it’s what mental illness does to you.

:grouphug: I am sorry to hear about that experience.

Speaking of characters in their own right...is George now a series regular? He has been in every episode so far I think :D 

He has? That is more than Heather and Valencia, right? :D

I think he is funny with Nathaniel, but I am not sure I buy their new relationship. They are way too buddy-buddy for Nathaniel to stand for this in his workplace. I wonder if Nathaniel has many friends outside the main plot of this story.

also where is Karen? Or Angelique if she prefers...

Good question. I am also interested if we are going to get a continuation of Tim's drama.

whenever Loudres pops up I always remember her face and reaction at the wedding: “so I guess he’s not marrying this one either.” :rofl: 

I forgot about that sentence. :D

Who are the other minor characters that make you laugh and you want to see them again? I wonder what happened with the grocery clerk with half an eyelid!

I also laugh every single time at the "This mike cost 300 dollars!" guy in I'm a Good Person. His face is perfect. I do not expect to see that one again, but it is a brilliant joke.

Wow. Um, yeah. Very moving and disturbing episode. More top quality writing and performances but...I don’t really know what to say, that ending was hard to watch :( 

edit: incredibly this episode was also extremely hilarious when it wasn’t handling Rebecca and her deep suicidal depression. It’s really amazing how they manage to do this consistently and not have the disparity between the two styles feel jarring.

Maya and Mrs. Hernandez had the funniest lines this episode. Pretty much anything Maya said (although “We sun her, we steam her, we put crystals in her.” is a particular favourite). And Mrs. Hernandez’ snarky commentary. “NOPE!” When he starts to sing One Indescribable Instant :rofl: )

and at least we know where Karen is!

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wow. Um, yeah. Very moving and disturbing episode. More top quality writing and performances but...I don’t really know what to say, that ending was hard to watch :( 

Yup. :( Horrible.

edit: incredibly this episode was also extremely hilarious when it wasn’t handling Rebecca and her deep suicidal depression. It’s really amazing how they manage to do this consistently and not have the disparity between the two styles feel jarring.

Maya and Mrs. Hernandez had the funniest lines this episode. Pretty much anything Maya said (although “We sun her, we steam her, we put crystals in her.” is a particular favourite). And Mrs. Hernandez’ snarky commentary. “NOPE!” When he starts to sing One Indescribable Instant :rofl: )

I thought the funniest was Nathaniel bringing the crocodile to the office. And the movers' slogan being Dude! Move on! But yes, also One Indescribable Instant. :D This is the most we have seen from this particular lawyer, right? Where did he get the feeling there was something between him and Rebecca from? :P

Does Mrs. Hernandez ever say anything that is not mean?

But even in Scarsdale storyline, there was fun in the person of Audra Levine. She grew on me.

and at least we know where Karen is!

Even more surprising is that Maya thought of her as a potential mentor for her program. I know that there are not many women in the office to choose from, but ... why would you want Karen to mentor you in anything? :lol:

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5__sKHtNfKE

Also double post but for anyone wanting some more Bayne Gibby...

The ... ??? :wideeyed:

I think I can understand why she and Rachel Bloom would get along well.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yeah, devastating episode.  This season is Rachel Bloom's masterpiece.

Also, the alligator:

Cute, looking forward to see more of the alligator/crocodile/whatever it is. ;)

I heard a silent reprise of Who's The New Guy in the scene with everybody attacking Cornelia. That was a funny touch.

Also, I really like Maya's bathing suit.

"I inconvenienced a lot of people."

Oh, Rebecca. Repeating the exact phrase Naomi used when referring to her suicide attempt in college. Naomi is horrible. :crying: She was not even mentioned in this episode, did not call, did not visit, nothing. What kind of a mother is this? :angry:

I never quite understood what borderline personality meant.  So it's about boundaries, and inability to have any regarding emotions?  They could call it "boundaries personality disorder" if they ever want to rebrand.

The show is making me wonder "what's up with Josh, bro?"  Does he have a disorder too?

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I never quite understood what borderline personality meant.  So it's about boundaries, and inability to have any regarding emotions?  They could call it "boundaries personality disorder" if they ever want to rebrand.

The show is making me wonder "what's up with Josh, bro?"  Does he have a disorder too?

I do not think he has an actual disorder, he just seems really thick when it comes to Rebecca and the whole situation around her. He is also very tactless and cannot realise when something is not about him.

Some more random observations:

• Nathaniel kept the crocodile in his office! Rebecca got it back! I thought she would ask where it was when it was not in the room. Which got me thinking - was not all of her room emptied by the movers (except the crocodile, which Nathaniel stole) and everything was stored in Scarsdale according to Naomi's instructions? How come Rebecca now seems to have all of her possessions in West Covina? Are we supposed to think that everything was moved back to California while she was in the hospital or that Nathaniel prevented from everything being moved in the first place? (Also, it was really weird that the movers came into the room through the balcony door in the last episode.)
  • Heather with an axe was really funny. I just hope there won't be any more murders in that house.
  • Talking of funny, Kevin in Dr. Akopian's office. He has problems like everybody else, it seems, he is just really good at hiding them. (Is there anybody in West Covina that does not have some terrible trauma down there?)
  • I did not like Valencia's crappy song. I do not generally find jokes about poop funny, and they could have used that time to actually develop Valencia's character meaningfully if they wanted to (we still don't know if she is still teaching yoga or if she is planning weddings or anything else going on in her life), or just have given the time to Darryl and White Josh so I could finally get an explanation of what a "yurt" is (Wiki and Google keep showing me Mongolian tents, but that cannot be right? I assume it is some kind of Ochipwa shaman?). Also it was obvious that Valencia did not actually play the piano there, the box in Tell Me I'm Okay, Patrick was better at playing the piano than Valencia is. If Gabrielle Ruiz cannot play the piano, just don't give her a scene that requires her to play the piano, or at least shoot it in a way that will make it look like she is playing the piano.
  • I do not think this show needs whoever does Rihanna's costumes; their own costume department does really well. I want Rebecca's yellow dress.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I do not think he has an actual disorder, he just seems really thick when it comes to Rebecca and the whole situation around her. He is also very tactless and cannot realise when something is not about him.

Some more random observations:

• Nathaniel kept the crocodile in his office! Rebecca got it back! I thought she would ask where it was when it was not in the room. Which got me thinking - was not all of her room emptied by the movers (except the crocodile, which Nathaniel stole) and everything was stored in Scarsdale according to Naomi's instructions? How come Rebecca now seems to have all of her possessions in West Covina? Are we supposed to think that everything was moved back to California while she was in the hospital or that Nathaniel prevented from everything being moved in the first place? (Also, it was really weird that the movers came into the room through the balcony door in the last episode.)
  • Heather with an axe was really funny. I just hope there won't be any more murders in that house.
  • Talking of funny, Kevin in Dr. Akopian's office. He has problems like everybody else, it seems, he is just really good at hiding them. (Is there anybody in West Covina that does not have some terrible trauma down there?)
  • I did not like Valencia's crappy song. I do not generally find jokes about poop funny, and they could have used that time to actually develop Valencia's character meaningfully if they wanted to (we still don't know if she is still teaching yoga or if she is planning weddings or anything else going on in her life), or just have given the time to Darryl and White Josh so I could finally get an explanation of what a "yurt" is (Wiki and Google keep showing me Mongolian tents, but that cannot be right? I assume it is some kind of Ochipwa shaman?). Also it was obvious that Valencia did not actually play the piano there, the box in Tell Me I'm Okay, Patrick was better at playing the piano than Valencia is. If Gabrielle Ruiz cannot play the piano, just don't give her a scene that requires her to play the piano, or at least shoot it in a way that will make it look like she is playing the piano.
  • I do not think this show needs whoever does Rihanna's costumes; their own costume department does really well. I want Rebecca's yellow dress.

A yurt is a tent. Think back to the festival thing they went to in season 2 - pretty sure there were many yurts there. 

It was most likely intentional that it looked obvious Valencia wasn’t actually playing piano, judging from the way that was shot.

Josh is pretty self-centred and narcissistic (in response to SC), but I doubt he is mentally ill. I think he just needs to be the focus of attention all of the time and doesn’t like that, to quote Cornelia, “this song isn’t about me”

Another overall great episode in a fantastic season though

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A yurt is a tent. Think back to the festival thing they went to in season 2 - pretty sure there were many yurts there.

Ah, thank you. The way they said it made me think it was a person.

So ... um ... Darryl and White Josh's problems were supposed to be solved by being in a tent ... uh okay.

It was most likely intentional that it looked obvious Valencia wasn’t actually playing piano, judging from the way that was shot.

I was wondering if that was the case too. I just did not get that it was funny. :/

Josh is pretty self-centred and narcissistic (in response to SC), but I doubt he is mentally ill. I think he just needs to be the focus of attention all of the time and doesn’t like that, to quote Cornelia, “this song isn’t about me”

I wonder if he had been the centre of attention all the time growing up too. He was the only son among three daughters, is it possible that the parents gave him more attention (intentionally or unintentionally) just because he was the only male child?

Another overall great episode in a fantastic season though

Yup.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

So ... um ... Darryl and White Josh's problems were supposed to be solved by being in a tent ... uh okay.

It's one of those trendy healing mojo things that people get into.  Darryl in particular is really into the random trendy healing stuff.  Like reikki or psychics.  

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yes, he really is into all of that. I just hope he is not pushing White Josh too much with his way of life and his ideas.

Pretty sure WhiJo is on board with at least some of this stuff though. Obviously not the reiki (he explicitly calls it out as bullshit). But spending time together in a yurt where they can actually try to take time and talk about their issues is exactly the sort of thing I think he would do.

Another thought on the episode - I loved what they did with Nathaniel and his parents. Walking the line as they always do between accurately depicting serious issues (We don’t talk about suicide or feelings or anything here; what do I say to someone I care about when they have just attempted suicide; etc) and doing so in a jocular way (She got flu and went sailing for a year; And we were having lamb too!).

The Rebecca-Nathaniel dynamic will be very interesting going forward. New relationships aren’t exactly the best thing for the individual when they aren’t just starting treatment (see also Greg in AA) but there are obviously feelings between them, and Rebecca has used romance in the past in destructive ways, or to escape the hard truth. It will be interesting to see if she avoids doing that again - and also whether Nathaniel is aware enough and a decent enough person to back off from that side of things during such a difficult time

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Another thought on the episode - I loved what they did with Nathaniel and his parents. Walking the line as they always do between accurately depicting serious issues (We don’t talk about suicide or feelings or anything here; what do I say to someone I care about when they have just attempted suicide; etc) and doing so in a jocular way (She got flu and went sailing for a year; And we were having lamb too!).

The Rebecca-Nathaniel dynamic will be very interesting going forward. New relationships aren’t exactly the best thing for the individual when they aren’t just starting treatment (see also Greg in AA) but there are obviously feelings between them, and Rebecca has used romance in the past in destructive ways, or to escape the hard truth. It will be interesting to see if she avoids doing that again - and also whether Nathaniel is aware enough and a decent enough person to back off from that side of things during such a difficult time

I do not think he is aware enough now because he cannot deal with feelings at all, not his own and not those of other people. I think he would need somebody to explain to him why it would be a bad idea now - then he would understand and I think would try to avoid it. He does care about Rebecca, so he would try to do the right thing IMO, but I fear he just does not know better and will try to make their relationship romantic soon. I do not think he has anybody to tell him why that would be a bad idea now (he does not seem to want to listen to George anymore, and he was the only person we have seen Nathaniel take advice from).

How Rebecca is going to act, I have no idea.

I thought there was no episode tomorrow. IMDB says the next one is on 8th December.

But, here, have some clips:

A hall full of people singing WEST COVIIIIIINA, CALIFOOOOOOORNIAAAAAAAA!

Rachel Bloom has so much energy. You can really see her devotion to the show in everything posted about it on the Internet.

Scott Michael Foster has no idea what everybody else is singing, poor man. :D But everybody seems to be enjoying themselves so much with this one.

Let's just go home and drink rosé.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I thought there was no episode tomorrow. IMDB says the next one is on 8th December.

But, here, have some clips:

A hall full of people singing WEST COVIIIIIINA, CALIFOOOOOOORNIAAAAAAAA!

Rachel Bloom has so much energy. You can really see her devotion to the show in everything posted about it on the Internet.

Scott Michael Foster has no idea what everybody else is singing, poor man. :D But everybody seems to be enjoying themselves so much with this one.

Let's just go home and drink rosé.

Oh, you are correct actually, next episode is December 8th. That is the mid-season finale. I suppose it’s because of Thanksgiving this week though I am not sure why it isn’t on next week.

trailer

l

Archived