Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

City absolutely tearing Stoke to shreds. They're making goal scoring look ridiculously easy. I know, early days and all that but City really are looking ominous atm and will take some stopping.

ETA. Zaha has made a huge difference to Palace. A well deserved goal for him to regain the lead for Palace.

7 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Did our front miss easy chances again?

Well, Liverpool had one big chance in the first half which resulted in a great DDG save. The rest were half chances or barely half chances that were little more than catching practice for Super Dave. Lukaku also had a great chance in the first half that forced a good save from Mignolet. The second half was duller than dirt. Mourinho's tactics worked like a charm and United looked quite comfortable from a defensive standpoint while offering nothing going forward. Klopp had no answer to these tactics and Liverpool never looked like they were capable of disrupting our defensive shape.

11 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Part of a comment in the previous thread by @The Wedge:

Yes, the USMNT has two prospects in Bill Hamid (26, DC United) and Sean Johnson (28, NYCFC).  They just aren't as well know because they have never played for a club outside the MLS. I wish Klinsmann had given them more chances during Howard's international hiatus rather than relying on Guzan.  If you lose your starting spot at Aston Villa, maybe your national team manager should pass on you as well.

bill is legit. i have been watching him for 5 years at dcu. he is smart, excellent in positioning and very athletic.

rumor is he is off for europe. he is out of contract at dc and hasn't suggested he wants to sign a new one. and dc signed another keeper saying they don't want him either. 

7 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I did not know, though, that merely discussing sectarianism is now seen as sectarian.

I didn't know that either. But nobody's said that it is, so maybe this isn't a particularly relevant response?

In any case, we can agree it's not relevant to the question of whether Lennon would be a good appointment for Scotland.

7 hours ago, Notone said:

That is a fair point, but on the other hand Moyes?

Yeah, no better. I'd rather have Lennon than Moyes to be perfectly honest.

Great win for Palace and well deserved too. They were the better side today.

Thus far City are the best side in the league, playing the best football and by a fair margin as well. Hopefully there is a collapse like last season otherwise they will stroll to the title. This side looks much better than last season though.

10 hours ago, mormont said:

The conversation begins and ends with this: sectarian abuse is unacceptable.

My irrelevant comment was in response to this irrelevant comment of yours, which looked to me like you were 'moderating' me, as if you thought I was condoning or at least accepting the sectarian abuse that Lennon received. Something I pointed out on multiple occasions that I absolutely did not.

6 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Also Ethan Horvath who is playing in Europe and is only 22 (and Jonathan Klinsmann ;)).

Fun anecdote. Klinsmann picked up quite a few injuries when he first arrived in Berlin. Apparently he wasn't used to the heavy training regiment of professional football. Apparently there's quite a difference between playing football on US college level, and playing it on a professional level in a good European league.

On a general note, I find it quite amusing that there are apparently a few Germans who did not make it at home, were able to get scholarships in the US and made it to the MLS. Büscher was struggling to get playing time in a third or fourth tier team and gets drafted as #11. Herbers career wasn't exactly destined to lead him into professional football either, and yet he gets drafted into the MLS on #6.

Gressel's highest league appaernces were 5th tier games.

And people wonder why Klinsmann was looking for players with American heritage in Europe instead of building around MLS talent.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Juve beaten at home for the first time in over two years. Dybala missed a penalty deep into stoppage time (97th minute) which would have salvaged a draw. Lazio did put in a very good performance though.

Over to Napoli now. If they beat Roma away and move 5 points clear, that is a massive statement of intent, even at this early stage.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Over to Napoli now. If they beat Roma away and move 5 points clear, that is a massive statement of intent, even at this early stage.

Napoli are playing some beautiful football. Looking forward to the City/Napoli game on Tuesday. That should be a great watch.

Archived