Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Napoli are playing some beautiful football. Looking forward to the City/Napoli game on Tuesday. That should be a great watch.

It’s gonna be awesome. Didn’t catch the Arsenal game but them and Chelsea losing softens that draw vs United a bit

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Arsenal lost that game pretty much because Watford, otherwise somewhat their mini-mes, are much better at using Deeney than Arsenal are at using Giroud.

More that they had a bullshit penalty called against them and their players fucking blow (see Ozil and Iwobi's terrible shots). Xhaka literally watched the guy sit there and score. He didn't move at all except to put his head down like a jackass after the wide open guy in front of him scored a wide open net. None of that score had to do with Giroud or Deeney.

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

More that they had a bullshit penalty called against them and their players fucking blow (see Ozil and Iwobi's terrible shots). Xhaka literally watched the guy sit there and score. He didn't move at all except to put his head down like a jackass after the wide open guy in front of him scored a wide open net. None of that score had to do with Giroud or Deeney.

The penalty was bullshit, but just coz he wasn't directly involved in making either goal (though he obviously scored the pen) doesn't mean he wasn't key to that turnaround. As soon as he came on Watford were all over you.

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The penalty was bullshit, but just coz he wasn't directly involved in making either goal (though he obviously scored the pen) doesn't mean he wasn't key to that turnaround. As soon as he came on Watford were all over you.

That's more down to the players not giving a fuck than Deeney vs Giroud. Koscielny getting hurt and bringing on Rob Holding (who fucking sucks) instead of Wilshere didn't help. Xhaka was horrendous all game (offensively and defensively minus one corner kick) and Iwobi was a complete waste of space. Welbeck lasted a whopping 60 minutes after being out for a month and half. This loss literally had nothing to do with Giroud vs Deeney but the inability of Wenger to field a side that can move the ball quickly (and behind the lines), finish easy chances, stay healthy or defend properly (mostly the midfield).

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

This loss literally had nothing to do with Giroud vs Deeney but the inability of Wenger to field a side that can move the ball quickly (and behind the lines),

So...
Watford like to play tippy-tappy passing football but when needs must and, as in this game, find themselves moving it too slowly and having mostly meangingless possession, can bring on a good strong hold-up man and get the ball quickly to him and use him to get Richarlison and others in behind.
Arsenal like to play tippy-tappy passing football but when needs must and find themselves moving it too slowly, they can bring on a good strong hold-up man but still don't do very much to get the ball up to him quickly and close up to him so they can get it in behind.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

So...
Watford like to play tippy-tappy passing football but when needs must and, as in this game, find themselves moving it too slowly and having mostly meangingless possession, can bring on a good strong hold-up man and get the ball quickly to him and use him to get Richarlison and others in behind.
Arsenal like to play tippy-tappy passing football but when needs must and find themselves moving it too slowly, they can bring on a good strong hold-up man but still don't do very much to get the ball up to him quickly and close up to him so they can get it in behind.

Sorry Polish but I don't see what you see. Arsenal didn't' move the ball quickly all game. Literally, not a single time did they move the ball quickly. Giroud wasn't going to change that. The pressure Watford put on Arsenal wasn't because of Deeney but because Arsenal switched off. They didn't close down, they stopped tracking back and as the last goal showed, the midfield gave zero fucks in terms of marking. Watford got lucky that Richarlison is a great diver compared to Welbeck and Arsenal did not care enough to play hard for 90 minutes. It was an effort thing, not a single player vs player usage situation. As Mertesacker said after the game, Watford wanted it more and that is very clear to me. They showed inifintely more effort in the last 20 minutes and if you want t say it's because of Deeney, fair enough, but that's not what I saw. 

Just now, JordanJH1993 said:

Wenger waxes lyrical about Wilshere this week, saying how he hasn't seen him looking as good in years, yet still leaves him on the bench.

He also said Wilshere wasn't ready for the competition of the Premier League. He tried to put him in but Koscielny got hurt and they replaced him with Rob Holding (who hasn't had a good game in a year).

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Sorry Polish but I don't see what you see. Arsenal didn't' move the ball quickly all game. Literally, not a single time did they move the ball quickly. Giroud wasn't going to change that.

I'm not sure how that in any way contravenes my point here. Giroud coming on wasn't going to change that but it could have. Like it did with Deeney for Watford.

And I'm completely baffled as to why you seem determined to insist that that didn't happen and it was all down to Arsenal playing even worse. Sure, you were poor, but for most of the game Watford were doing bog all, keeping neat possession but doing fuck all with it and failing to get in behind at all, and then when Deeney came on they suddenly started to go more direct, knowing they'd see it knocked on for them to rush onto. With Gray on that couldn't happen because he's not half as strong and nor was he using his pace because he kept coming deep to recieve it and blunting their attacks.

Again, I get your point but you billed it as the game was decided by Watford's use of Deeney vs Arsenal's use of Giroud and that's not at all what I saw. I saw a terrible penalty decision (nothing to do with Deeney), bad defense (especially in the midfield), a lack of effort and missed offensive opportunities. Did Watford have the front foot towards the end? Yes. But it's not because Deeney was so good but because Arsenal stopped giving a fuck. Seriously, watch the end of the game. They didn't close down once, didn't move to follow players and literally standed still when Watford had the ball. It's a player and Arsenal culture issue and this won't be the last time a game goes like this. Actually, it's not even the first time this season and Deeney had nothing to do with those other situations as well. 

I mean, it was a simplification, clearly, but if you're seriously convinced that Deeney coming on had nothing to do with the improvement in Watford's game then we're just gonna have to leave it here because we were apparently watching different matches. Arsenal's bad play (and a bad ref call) obviously allowed Watford to take advantage but if he hadn't been on they'd have had a far harder time doing it the way they'd been playing previous.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, it was a simplification, clearly, but if you're seriously convinced that Deeney coming on had nothing to do with the improvement in Watford's game then we're just gonna have to leave it here because we were apparently watching different matches. Arsenal's bad play (and a bad ref call) obviously allowed Watford to take advantage but if he hadn't been on they'd have had a far harder time doing it the way they'd been playing previous.

Think that’s fair.

Koeman doing himself no favours nowadays. 

He’s under pressure, that’s fine. He needs results. But he still lacks a striker, and he would still like to shoehorn Sigurdsson and Rooney into the same team. So he plays Rooney up front against two massive CBs. 

Rooney will never win that matchup in the air, and he hasn’t got the speed to challenge on the ground. Adding to that, Brighton were always likely to sit deep. All that together means we need one number 10, one number 9 (we haven’t got any, but DCL will be the best bet. Strong in the air, and has pace) and pace on the wings. Vlasic has one wing, but where is the threat on the other wing? DCL? He’s not a winger, and when he’s deputised there before, it was on the right. 

Leave Rooney off. Doesn’t make sense playing him.

The defense comes unstuck also, now. Brighton’s goal was eminently defendable, but major screwups (from Schneiderlin, of all people, but also Sigurdsson could do better) gives them a goal. So we can’t threaten (thank Bruno for his boneheaded foul for a penalty - we should have had another against Gross, but one of two difficult ones is good refereeing, I think), we can’t really defend, and the manager can’t get the team going.

I can’t see him lasting October.

Caught this at the close of the Everton match:

Everton fans with a class banner. "How many Rupees until we take priority" #BHAEVE #AMF

Had to go to Twitter because I couldn't make it all out as they panned by. I understand the upset but the fuck? The majority owner was born in Iran and is a British citizen. Rupees are Indian currency. Am I missing something or is this the lamentation of xenophobic dolts?

Brighton lucky to end with 11 players. Bruno could easily have been sent off for the elbow that led to Everton's penalty and Pröpper should have been sent off for the studs up challenge on Gueye. Everton should have had another penalty too. More shit refereeing today.

Another uninspiring display from Everton though. They really need to add more pace and energy into their forward play. Wouldn't mind seeing Everton play a 4-3-3 with Davies as the attacking midfielder, Vlasic and Lookman flanking Calvert-Lewin or Niasse or a 4-3-1-2 with Sigurdsson or Rooney at #10. Right now Everton play a nice and neat possession game that goes nowhere and they don't look like being able to hurt the opposition.

14 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Caught this at the close of the Everton match:

Everton fans with a class banner. "How many Rupees until we take priority" #BHAEVE #AMF

Had to go to Twitter because I couldn't make it all out as they panned by. I understand the upset but the fuck? The majority owner was born in Iran and is a British citizen. Rupees are Indian currency. Am I missing something or is this the lamentation of xenophobic dolts?

No idea, but AFAIK all clubs have bellend supporters. Unfortunately not surprised that we do, too.

Archived