Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

Switzerland will be better than Nothern Ireland for sure.

Denmark beats Ireland as well. Eriksen, Jorgensen, Bendtner, vs no one player of note at all.

Croatia vs Greece is closer. Based on talent you'd say Croatia.

Italy will do Sweden easily. Swedes take the place of the Dutch, it really would have been the icing on the cake if we'd now draw Italy and go out in the playoffs, as Sweden most certainly will.

14 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Switzerland will be better than Nothern Ireland for sure.

Denmark beats Ireland as well. Eriksen, Jorgensen, Bendtner, vs no one player of note at all.

The two Irish teams are certainly the weakest nations out of the eight, but I would like to think at least one of them could cause an upset. Neither are particularly proficient when going forwards with the ball, but the two O'Neills have done good jobs of setting their sides up to be resolute and hard to break down. 

Wales, who I would consider to be no worse than Denmark, bore the full brunt of ROI's 'smash and grab' tactics just last week (albeit, the ROI had the advantage of Gareth Bale being injured).

In Premier League news, Craig Shakespeare sacked by Leicester.

Super excited for Napoli - Manchester City today.

Hoping for the best.

The win over Roma this past weekend was huge.  Wish I could have seen the whole thing, but for some reason they only showed a condensed 30 minute version of the match here, and the full game won't be on TV until this upcoming Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Italy and Croatia have more talent than the Swiss, but both have been rather shambolic this qualifying. In a way they would have been better draws as you can see where Northern Ireland would have an edge but Switzerland probably have just as cohesive a unit as you but with greater quality. Only Belgium, Germany and Spain picked up more points than them. They were unlucky Portugal played very well too, as they picked up the most points possible for a non-qualifier. Denmark really was the ideal seed to be drawn against.

I think Greece was arguably the easiest draw. The Danes have not really impressed either, but I'd probably still pick Greece as the easier opponent.

Switzerland was/is imho the toughest draw. Yes, on paper Italy and Croatia have more individual talent, but imho Switzerland has the better overall team.

Having that said, I think ROI vs. Denmark will be the most competitive pairing.

And I don't think Italy vs. Sweden will be as one sided as some people seems to think.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Wijnaldum starting yet another away game, ffs. It looks an awful lot like Klopp has gone into a 4-competition season with only 13 players he trusts to pick, crap as some of them are on occasion.

It sucks ass being a Liverpool fan today; there's a couple of great ties being played, but I'm going to have to watch us, and we'll probably concede an early goal and then squeak a frustrating 1-1.

For real. I want to watch Napoli/City. And yeah if any game was screaming out for an Ox midfield debut this was it. Not sure how Wijnaldum still gets in the squad when he’s not playing at Anfield.

Meanwhile Bürki continues to impress for Dortmund :D

Oh and Sevilla is playing even dumber than Liverpool against Moscow.

And I don't know who placed that bet of Istanbul winning the group ahead of Porto, Leipzig and Monaco. But congratulations.

Real Madrid vs Tottenham has been a brilliant game. A quite outstanding save by Navas from a Kane shot at close range keeps the scores level.

ETA: Good to see Danny Rose back after a long lay off. But tbh, Spurs have hardly missed him. Davies has been a more than able deputy.

32 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

ETA: Good to see Danny Rose back after a long lay off. 

Not really, it’s going to properly mess with my fantasy team if Rose comes in for Davies. Especially if it’s this weekend.

Anyway, great result for Spurs.

Sevilla getting taken apart 5-1 by Spartak Moscow must go down as shock of this set of matches and is more good news for Liverpool. Sevilla going for another Europa League title it seems.

36 minutes ago, Notone said:

Meanwhile Bürki continues to impress for Dortmund :D

All three Bundesliga sides being let down by their keepers this year. Ulreich understandable as a second choice, Burki unfortunate as otherwise pretty decent, but probably time for Mvogo to take over from Gulasci.

With all respect to strong competition from Sevilla and Maribor, the biggest loser tonight was good taste -- that Liverpool shirt color is rancid.  I hope we don't wear it for the final when we win #6.

Nice that we finally found our shooting boots but a pity we didn't spread the goals around a bit more when we were frustrated by Sevilla and Spartak.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Wijnaldum starting yet another away game, ffs. It looks an awful lot like Klopp has gone into a 4-competition season with only 13 players he trusts to pick, crap as some of them are on occasion.

It sucks ass being a Liverpool fan today; there's a couple of great ties being played, but I'm going to have to watch us, and we'll probably concede an early goal and then squeak a frustrating 1-1.

Alright, Nostradamus.

24 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Hope Sevilla/Atleti/Dortmund all drop to Europa :D

Regardless Europa League is shaping up to be much more exciting than last season.

Was pretty good last year. Just all the strong sides apart from United ended up on the same side of the draw and the winners of it bottled it int he final.

Archived