Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

West Ham let Big Sam run down his contract because his team didn't play the 'West Ham way' (whatever that is). Yet two and a half years later they are on the brink of appointing David Moyes...

David Sullivan and David Gold - did either of these two men actually watch Sunderland last season? Statistically, they weren't the worst PL team of all time, but from a personal point of view, they were the dullest team I've ever seen in this division. It's clear the two Davids have picked the cheapest 'yes man' they could find.

2 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

It's clear the two Davids have picked the cheapest 'yes man' they could find.

Nah. They've picked the only person who'll take the job, in the hope that he'll shore up the defence and get them attacking players enough room to keep them up. It's just for the remainder of the season, right? Then they'll go for someone with a bit more flair, unless Moyes is unexpectedly good.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Nah. They've picked the only person who'll take the job, in the hope that he'll shore up the defence and get them attacking players enough room to keep them up. It's just for the remainder of the season, right? Then they'll go for someone with a bit more flair, unless Moyes is unexpectedly good.

Surely more people would be interested in the job than Moyes? It's a London based Premier League side with one of the biggest stadiums in the league. Some decent players in the squad, too, that you'd think a manager wouldn't mind trying to work with.

The way it has been reported, it sounds more like it's going to be a proper appointment rather than just giving him a contract until the end of the season. 

35 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The way it has been reported, it sounds more like it's going to be a proper appointment rather than just giving him a contract until the end of the season. 

Everything I've read says it's initially only till summer.

And I think the thing is that they're in a rush. In summer they can take their time and negotiate and make a pass at whoever they really want, but chances are that right now their ideal candidate is already in a job and they don't want to fuss around with prising him free of a contract, and may well end up not getting the best option anyway coz for a manager coming in over the summer break is always more appealing than jumping in to a struggling club mid-season.

Moyes was by the phone.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:12 PM, Mexal said:

Arsenal needed help with fair decisions. An offside goal when they just get it back to 2-1 is a kick to the balls. Thought the penalty was weak too even if I’m not surprised it was called. Sterling slowed down looking for the shoulder to shoulder contact.

Yeah, that penalty was a grey area one. Sometimes they'll be called, sometimes not. Inconsistency is the biggest problem with those situations. 

On 11/5/2017 at 4:23 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Salah, Firmino, Sane and Can, in descending order, had the best performances IMO. 

Can? That's odd. Thought he had a fairly uneventful game. But I guess there weren't that many standout performances apart from the front three.

Gomez was struggling all night, but as you touched upon, it's a learning curve, and one that could pay off dividends in the future.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:05 PM, Consigliere said:

The more I see Benzema play, the more baffled I am that Real let Morata go. Benzema well and truly looks like a player in decline.

He's looked off his game for a long time now yeah.

On top of that Madrid have to deal with the constant injuries on Gareth Bale, whose career is becoming more Welbeckian each year.

When Bale finally does come back, it takes a while to get back into it, and then he's out again.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Diego Simeone is Everton owner Farhad Moshiri's top target. Ambitious.

Yeah, I don’t see that happening. 

And if the shortlist is Simeone, Dyche, Rhino and Allardici...

Well, I’d take Simeone. Dyche a second. Rhino a third, Allardici somewhere below the snails in my garden right now. 

If my meaning isn’t clear enough, I don’t want Sam Allardyce.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

He's looked off his game for a long time now yeah.

On top of that Madrid have to deal with the constant injuries on Gareth Bale, whose career is becoming more Welbeckian each year.

When Bale finally does come back, it takes a while to get back into it, and then he's out again.

Their squad is a bit weaker than last season without Rodriguez, Pepe and Morata. I think they really should have looked for an experienced replacement for Pepe given how injury prone Varane is. Also, they should have had a replacement lined up before agreeing to sell Morata especially since Ronaldo is aging as well. Their midfield is great though and has quality depth as Ceballos and Kovačić are top talents. Bale needs to be moved on, I think. He's always been a player who relied quite heavily on his athleticism and all those injuries have taken their toll. He is not as good as when they signed him.

ETA. Also, there is a new thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/149063-football-just-slaven-away/#comment-8070666

Archived