Best ASoIaF player

Tygett Lannister

Who is in your opinion the best player in ASoIaF books? Player meaning someone who is good at obtaining power and controlling it, makes political changes that he wants them to happen, manipulate others to do something they would like etc.

I made a list of characters that seem to make the most obvious choices. There is also an option "Other" where you can then write the name of the character you think is the best player but it is not on the list. Please do not pick characters that were dead before the start of the AGoT or those with "magical" powers like Bloodraven or being a different race (White Walkers, Children of the Forrest, Giant).

I would also love to see which you think are best player ranked with numbers. Mine are:

1. Baelish

2. Varys

3. Doran

4. Olenna

5. Tywin

6. Tyrion

7. Illyrio Mopatis

8. Margaery Tyrell

I might forgot someone xd

It shouldn't be called "best ASOIAF player", but "best ASOIAF player that Tygett Greenshield thinks is good".

This is a bullshit poll. He refuses to add Dany to the list since its his opinion that she isnt a good player. So Whatever the results may be: they are totally invalid!

25 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Dany? 

Nice meme bro.

16 minutes ago, The Holy Goat said:

Where is Skahaz mo Kandaq and Wyman Manderly, where is Euron Greyjoy and the High Sparrow? All of which seem to be more accomplished players than the likes of Mance Rayder.

As I said you can choose other and write down name of the character you think is the best but it is not on this list.

I didn't put Kandaq and High Sparrow on the list because not that much is known about them, they are pretty mysterious.

Wyman I could have but he is not on Mance's level in my opinion. 

And for Euron he is pretty overrated he just gained support of Iron Islands because of his charisma other ways he didn't do much yet. He sent most of his fleet to Mereen commanded by the most respected man in Iron Islands that hate him and there is nothing stopping him from betraying him not that good of a move.

Mance is pretty dank in my opinion. He gathered all the tribes beyond the Wall while being member of the Night's watch, which shows great ability. He might be behind murder attempt on Bran and the Pink Letter which caused Jon's death and wildings might take over the Wall.

All this Petyr confidence is surprising. He's very manipulative to be sure. However he controls pieces only a few levels deep, having people manipulate other people for a short time only to dispose of them quickly. He's pretty well despised by many of his pieces and certainly would not be defended by anyone out of true loyalty. Given better options all of his people in the Vale and Crownlands would abandon him without any hangups.

Varys is the one who's bee around for decades, playing the slow game with pieces that have pieces that have pieces, all working for him (some without knowing it). Varys has a Dragon, elephants, and armies. He's shown flexibility in his plans and can adapt to any change. Viserys is dead? Adapt. Drogo is dead? Adapt. Dany has dragons?? ADAPT.

And the critical part- Varys has people who are actually on his side out of true loyalty and alliance. Illyrio, the Golden Company and all of Aegon's backers follow along on Varys' side because they want to.

6 minutes ago, ChuckPunch said:

All this Petyr confidence is surprising. He's very manipulative to be sure. However he controls pieces only a few levels deep, having people manipulate other people for a short time only to dispose of them quickly. He's pretty well despised by many of his pieces and certainly would not be defended by anyone out of true loyalty. Given better options all of his people in the Vale and Crownlands would abandon him without any hangups.

Varys is the one who's bee around for decades, playing the slow game with pieces that have pieces that have pieces, all working for him (some without knowing it). Varys has a Dragon, elephants, and armies. He's shown flexibility in his plans and can adapt to any change. Viserys is dead? Adapt. Drogo is dead? Adapt. Dany has dragons?? ADAPT.

And the critical part- Varys has people who are actually on his side out of true loyalty and alliance. Illyrio, the Golden Company and all of Aegon's backers follow along on Varys' side because they want to.

Yeah I completely agree and it is really hard to decide for me who is best LF, Varys or Doran. But I put LF before Varys because LF accomplised a lot in a much shorter time, Varys had the time to build this spy network and his job was to keep peace in Westeros and LF broke it. LF also stole a few millions of golden dragon coins and bankrupt the crown making it seem like it was Robert's spending. He has a lot of people loyal to him in KL and don't doubt it is the same in Vale, so I don't think he is in much trouble right now as most people are pointing out. LF will not stay regent of Vale for long he will give up position like he gave up position as master of the coin.

I believe Varys always wanted Aegon to be king never Viserys (he was to much like Aerys) and Dothraki could never hope to take Westeros.

2 minutes ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

The only two who have really been playing the game of thrones is Illyrio/Varys and Doran and I suppose Baelish. The rest are just pieces. I went with Illyrio. Voting for Illyrio is the same as voting for Varys since they're on the same team and we don't know who the leader of that team is.

I think Varys does most of the thinking, I was considering putting them together as an option xd. Illyrio is just the one with money and position but also really good player.

Margaery is more or less a walking hymen who may or may not be a tad more cynical than she lets on with her performance of idealized maidenhood. Kind of confused about her inclusion, especially when like...Cat isn't?

Petyr Baelish is the best player because his fingers are everywhere, like Varys. The reason why I would say he is better is that he appears so benign and helpful yet underneath it all is an amazing actor, possibly a psychopath. That makes it all the easier for him to lie, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Chebyshov said:

Margaery is more or less a walking hymen who may or may not be a tad more cynical than she lets on with her performance of idealized maidenhood. Kind of confused about her inclusion, especially when like...Cat isn't?

Well she manipulates Joffrey while Cersei can't and she is like heir to title Queen of Thorns. She plays her role in Tyrell plot perfectly.

Cat really? Imprisoning Tyrion Lannister without a proof? Going to the Blood Gates with a few soldiers? Releasing Jamie? Her only accomplishment was deal with Walder Frey and we know how that one ended.

4 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Ned?

We have another comedian.

I would restrict opining on this to Westerosi-only characters outside of Ilyrio, as we know so much more about them and the bulk of the story's action takes place in Westeros. 

Some members of this list have only really started their machinations since the events of ASOIAF started (Tywin, Cersei, Margaery, Roose Bolton, Walder Frey, Tyrion, Olenna, etc.). Their goals are restricted to survival; of themselves and their houses. And survival means climbing the power ladder and that requires knocking off other players. There really isn't any larger, macro motives for their actions other than that. 

Baelish is a little different. He has no allegiances demanding loyalty that hinder his actions. He IS his house, a small, poor house. He is not encumbered with trying to uphold a legacy and do his house proud, like say, a Jamie Lannister or Ned Stark is forced to. Baelish is out to make his own name, his own way. He doesn't even rock his houses' banners/designs; he uses his own sigil of the mockingbird. He is out to claim rule of Westeros for himself, and has been at that end since the days long ago when Jon Arryn made him customs master in Gulltown. But even still, his actions are all directed at the one, single, self-serving aim.

I have to give the title of "best player" to the Varys/Illyrio duet. They have been playing the loooooong game, 13-14 years now. Doran Martell has been a part of it as well, but he's been more wait-and-see and take his cues from Varys. No one moves the pieces around the board better than Varys, whose true aim (as far as we know), is the peace and stability Westeros could enjoy with a worthy ruler on the throne. 

Another name I would throw out there, in violation of my own anti-Essos rule, would be Melisandre. 

57 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Why do you think so?

What moves do you think he made that makes him great or even good? I can't think of one. Is it has 15 year plan to get revenge on Tywin, that did nothing? Or a secret pack to marry off his Heir to Viserys and once that failed trying to marry his son to Dany? 

1 hour ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

What moves do you think he made that makes him great or even good? I can't think of one. Is it has 15 year plan to get revenge on Tywin, that did nothing? Or a secret pack to marry off his Heir to Viserys and once that failed trying to marry his son to Dany? 

Quentyn's mission did not necessarily fail, he is trying to steal a dragon not marry Dany and he is still alive.

The whole Myrcella thing maybe?

Qyburn is sabotaging Cersei and he is Doran's man.

Doran is everywhere, he is just so good nobody sees him.

Archived